Author Topic: Starting your own school  (Read 11087 times)

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
Starting your own school
« on: April 18, 2003, 06:09:23 PM »
Though I probably never will, My instructor thinks it would be good if I started my own school closer to where I live, yet still continue to train with him.  (I train in a different county then I live in, about 25 miles from the school).

Though I know they exist, I have never meet any female chief instructors who operate their own schools.  If you are or know of any successful schools run by women, I would like to hear about them.

My greatest concern is that I would only draw children as students.  Are adult men willing to train in Female operated schools?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

E_and_B_Bautista

Re: Starting your own school
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 02:55:49 AM »
Off hand I know of three ladies who runs their own school with assistance of male instructors. Simo Terry McBride of Angles Camp who's teacher is Sigung Joel Pervis, Simo Pat Tyrrell of Napa and simo Julie Habbert, both comes under the Reyes lineage. They have male students beside children and women in their classes. They are doing very well if I may add.
E. and B. Bautista

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2003, 11:35:16 AM »
Hey Mell, go for it!!  I have the school in Angels Camp.  Do I have more children, yes I do.  Absolutely love it.  I have seperate classes for men and women.  Love that too.  I do wish I had more men, but I have 10, we worked out hard and go home with bruises.  If men have a problem learning from a women (and some do) well that's their problem.  Not mine.  They're missing out on a great art.

The women like their own classes, about 6 months into it I brought in my blue belt, now green, male.  Pat is a bar bouncer so has lots of experience, I call him a walking tree.  Hard as nails.  Been really great as they can work with him and me.  By the way, the gals are the ones that showed up for sparring last night.  

My other black belt Donovan just started working for me  teaching classes.  I teach 18 - 19 classes each week, having help is very, very nice.  Donovan and Pat each bring in different styles of teaching, it makes it more interesting for the students and offers them more.

Regarding teaching children, how great is that.  Imagine, you will have an opportunity to help children feel really great about themselves as they learn to do things they never thought they could, help them make the right choices in school and life, teach them how to be safe from adults or larger kids that might want to hurt them.  With all the great feedback I get from parents (and kids) I value my teaching time with kids.

If you need any advice, let me know.  I started being profitable at the end of my first year, not bad.  Now that I'm paying Donovan I'll need more students, it'll happen.  I read anything I could get my hands on, a lot of it leans towards Tae Kwon Do ( all the more reason not to study that art for me anyway), but I got some really great business ideas that I've incorporated nicely and still staying true to Kaju which is very important to me.  

Also, I looked to advice and my greatest mentor has been Grand Master Emil Bautista and his super wife, Betty.  I couldn't have done it as well without their willing advice.

Sifu Terry McBride
3rd degre
Owner/Head Instructor
Mother Lode Training Center
Angels Camp
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Karazenpo

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2003, 04:24:32 PM »
Mell, Kempo Kathy will be responding to this I'm sure but she's still at work. I have to interject on this one. We had a bad drug problem in our community and the police chief put myself and a close friend who I grew up with (just happens to be Shihan Kathy's cousin) in the narcotics unit because we worked well together. I didn't have to take it but it was an important opportunity. Needless to say, it involved mostly nights and even days while we turned the heat up. So I turned the school over to Shihan Kathy, she was a 4th dan at the time who was promoted and tested by Professor Nick Cerio. She is a highly respected martial artist but that didn't matter to some males. They just can't take being taught by a woman. I've even heard them say it. The have to have the male figure in charge. How do I feel about it? It's bullsh t! I was promoted Sunday to my 7th dan at Professor Pesare's Kaito Gakko, his Soke-Dai Gm. Donna Lynn Vinbury, 9th dan, gave the test with Gm. Pesare witnessing. I was proud to have both their names on my certificate and I have the utmost respect for Gm. Vinbury who I look at as a 9th Degree Black Belt during training hours, after that believe me, I notice she's a woman!,lol. So, don't let that stop you but it's going to happen. Not all but some. Shihan Kathy currently has some macho tough guys, some in our military and serving, seasoned fighters and they have the utmost respect for her and they keep coming back for their training. They come for her, not for me becuase I wasn't even in the picture when they started. As far as I'm concerned there is no gender in the martial arts, we all are martial artists and that's the bottom line! ;)

Offline Kempo_Kathy

• White Belt
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2003, 08:15:19 PM »
Hi Mell-
    I just want to let you know that you do get some
 guys that will not take from you because you are a
 girl, but it few and far between. I have always handled
 my students with respect and I do not hold back on my
 techniques so they know what I can do. So in the long
 run I gain their respect and they do not care and it does
 not bother them that I am girl. As far as kids are
 concerned sometimes being a women is a plus because some
 of the mothers rather have a women teacher. So don't
 worry about the few that won't take from you because
 you are a women-- IT's their loss!!!
                    Shihan Kathy
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:04 PM by -1 »
Shihan Kathy Shuras, Shichidan, Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu & Nick Cerio's Kenpo.

Sifu Rick

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2003, 08:16:47 AM »
Hi Mell- contact Master Georganne Verigan,whose bio is listed elsewhere on this website.  She has operated/owned  schools for 20 years.  I have trained hard and fast with this wonderful woman, since 1978.  I have the utmost respect for her knoweldge and ability.  I consider her my sister. Contact her thru [url]www.Kajukenpopailum.com {url]website.

Sifu Rick Mattioli

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 06:11:16 PM »
A big thanks to all of you.  As we continue to look at this option, it is nice to know that the male population of marial arts is willing to support women.  8)
Sibak Mellody Porter
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Sensei_Sue

• White Belt
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 05:53:35 AM »
I can remember on time I was teaching a self-defense technique, and this larger man told me that what I was doing wouldn't work.  He said that because he was stronger than I was he could keep me from hurting him, and thus the technique wouldn't work.

I asked him to demonstrate what he would do.   ::)

I then kicked him in just to the side of the groin, inner thigh area, and then applied my wrist lock.  He was on the ground screaming like a baby.   ;D

I can smile about it now, but he left and never came back.  So the mistake was mine.  If I hadn't have hurt is pride so much, he might have stuck with the lessons.

:-/

adacas

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 07:41:28 AM »
I wouldn't be too sorry.  I believe that you gave him a great wake up call and taught him a lesson alright.  Something all martial artists, especially big muscleheads should all be taught in the beginning is a little humility.  Having too much manpride is bad I think.  Some guys need to realize that women can be great warriors too.  Think of Joan of Ark, the greek myth of the Amazons, that female chinese general(i can't remember the name but Mulan was based on her), and don't forget the greates female warrior of them all, Xena the warrior princess. ;D  O.K. maybe not Xena but you have to admit she pretty cool.  I don't mind being taught by women you can kick my butt anytime Sensei_Sue.  As long as its for demonstration purposes only and that you avoid actually kicking me in the groin ;).

Offline Nagi

• Blue Belt
    • Hapkido
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 09:39:20 AM »
I can remember on time I was teaching a self-defense technique, and this larger man told me that what I was doing wouldn't work.  He said that because he was stronger than I was he could keep me from hurting him, and thus the technique wouldn't work.

I asked him to demonstrate what he would do.   ::)

I then kicked him in just to the side of the groin, inner thigh area, and then applied my wrist lock.  He was on the ground screaming like a baby.   ;D

I can smile about it now, but he left and never came back.  So the mistake was mine.  If I hadn't have hurt is pride so much, he might have stuck with the lessons.

:-/
Thats a no win situation :-/ If you eased up that would of gave the man a chance to resist the tech that was being applied and it could of possibly made you look bad. I rather look good and not have him as a student than the other way around. My 2cents

Ron  

It takes many wise acts to be considered a wise person, but only one foolish act to be considered a fool
www.tmi-selfdefense.com

Offline Mike Nagano

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Kajukenbo
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 09:45:05 AM »
Great story Sensei Sue.  He challenged you.  You proved him wrong.  Only his ego was hurt.  I think he deserved it.
Sifu Mike Nagano
Bishop's Kajukenbo Academy

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 10:47:56 AM »
I believe you did the best thing.  If you had not "proven" the technque to him, your reputation as a teacher would have been damaged.  If the techniques that you teach are not effective, but rather look good, you may keep alot of students and make alot of money, but the quality of your pupils will suffer.  I have been taught that the Martial Arts are not to be intertwined with business more than necessary.  Yes, as instructors you must be able to survive and pay bills, but those trying to get rich should go somewhere else.  Great wealth is not the purpose of the Arts.  Only my inexperienced opinion.

Trent Junker
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

adacas

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2003, 05:57:46 PM »
That little event was probably for the better.  You thought you lost a student but what probably didn't come to mind at first was that you gained an entire class.  Many students do not get to see their teachers exhibit the techniques being taught them and so may have doubt as to the effectiveness of them.  The fact that you are a woman and took down a guy who was bigger than you really proved the effectiveness of that technique alone.  I cannot even visualize what you could have done to that guy if you had pulled out the big guns on him.  Your students must have been impressed, especially the female students.

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 08:56:01 PM »
But that is actually the type of CR _ _, that I hear about and don't want to deal with.  Can I take care of myself, Yes.  Should I have to prove myself everyweek to a new joker - No.  >:( Sensei Sue - do you find that type of stuff happening frequently?  Or was that just a rare incident?    
Sibak Mellody Porter
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Kempo_Kathy

• White Belt
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2003, 07:40:16 AM »
Mell,
  I think incidents like that are rare. The guys
  that do not want to take from a women, usually
  come in look around and just never come back.
Shihan Kathy Shuras, Shichidan, Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu & Nick Cerio's Kenpo.