Author Topic: First Time Competitor  (Read 6048 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
First Time Competitor
« on: June 18, 2004, 03:11:18 PM »
Posted for Sifu Kailee;  We'll let him fill us in on the circumstances :D

John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Re:First Time Competitor
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 06:14:04 PM »
Good Afternoon Everyone:

Thank you Sifu Kailee for your kind words and for posting such a great photo. ;D Your kind words are very inspiring for our young school.  ;D

Thank you Sigung Bishop for your assistance.  ;D

A photo says a 1,000 words but this one says 10,000 words. ;)

Yes, it was a great day for our school "Terrazas Kajukenbo" . David Cofelt was our first time competitor and student. We were so jazzed for David and he was fantastic. ;D Kajukenbo was represented honorably and proudly!

I as his instructor was nervous and very very proud being brand new myself and him being the first. Thank goodness Prof. Harper and everyone was there for us. ;D

Thank you Professor Harper, Sifus; Bob, Mockie, Rick, Mark, Corn Dog, Art and Mike.

Grand Master Joseph "Joe" Davis and Terrazas Kajukenbo thank you all from our hearts. We appreciated your support and your showing of true Kajukenbo "OHANA" love.

Soifua,

« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 06:46:26 PM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline keri

• White Belt
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 09:18:47 AM »
Aloha,

It is always great to see a first time student at their first competition and the support that this young man has from all these Black belts great job David  ;D Something he'll treasure for life.  
Keri

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 12:57:28 AM »
Hey Serene,
Congrats for your student doing so well.  Have you opened your own school and if you have, good for you!!

We're 2 1/2 years old now and growing like crazy.  Lot's of growing pains, but it's nice to say "I love my job", not many can say that.

So, good luck with your school and hoping for more successful tournaments.

Terry
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kaj_minn

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 02:40:49 AM »
Kajushodan  ;D

That's great your first competitor  ;)  and I see he did well.  Congratulations David  ;)  and you came out with more than a trophy.  All the support that this young man got seems more than what he recieved from the tournament    LOL  

This is great for the up and coming students to see that this forum is not just about Black Belts.  Please post your students accomplishments in the proper section and lets bring it back to them.

Chris

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 04:31:39 PM »
Good Afternoon:

Thank you Sifus; Maurice, Terry, Raymond and Chris for your kind words and joyful enthusiasm. ;D

Yes, Sifu Maurice it was "kumite". ;D Next time we are going to try our hat at forms and kumite. ;D

Sifu Terry, yes I opened my school this Feb. 2004. Wow -Anglecamp is 2 1/2 years old already? How time passes especially when your having fun.  ;D Great job Sifu Terry!  ;D

We were honored with the teachings of Sigung Joel Purvis the last two Thursdays. Sifu Terry, you have an awesome instructor! We hope to see more of him in Vallejo. ;D

Sifus Maruice and Chris hopefully we'll be able to send David and the others to you or you will have to come and visit them in California. ;D

Take care everyone and thank you again for all the well wishes. God willing, I hope to have more stories in the years to come. ;D

I know David is not the only new competitor in the Cafe?  ::)

Instructors please post your great stories so we can acknowledge all of those great and spectacular upcoming students! ;D

What do you have brewing in your school  ::)  ;)  ;D

Think of this post as your own private brag section. ;D

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 04:11:01 PM »
Hi Ms. M: ;D

Thank you so much for your encouraging and well appreciated thoughts.

Terrazas Kajukenbo is well on its way. We are having a great time. The first thing that David said to me when he was done competing was "Sifu did I win"?

I told him absolutely, you were a winner before we got here. ;D

Truly I would never be here if it wasn't for the great instructors I have been blessed with. ;D

The following are the instructors that I thank for my blessings and teachings:

GM Emil Bautista
GM Joe Davis
Prof. Mitch Powell
Prof. Joseph Bautista
Sifu Rob
Sifu Mockie
Sifu Kailee

Thank you gentlemen for putting up with my anger managment issues.  ;) But most important thank you for never giving up on me. ;D Due to your ongoing support "Terrazas Kajukenbo" is no longer a dream, instead it is reality.

Soifua,
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 04:21:06 PM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 04:45:04 PM »
I wish Terrazas Kajukenbo lots of luck! I hope many excellent black belts come out of the school and many trophies grace the homes of its instructors, students and training area.

Andrew
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 03:58:08 PM »
Dear Chief Evans:

I read your post yesterday and it left me speechless.

I realized then that there were no words that could express the joy I felt when I read it.

So, I'm just going to say this "Thank You". ;D

M-I agree 100% with you. ;D

Soifua,  
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 08:04:17 PM »
Sibak Serene,

Not only does your good and positive actions benefit your students, but also others. In my part of the country aka the Bible Belt, folks are still a little regressive. Women avoid the training floor due to the arcane idea that their "man will protect them." Sifu Sheryl use to accept that as the status quo. However, thanks to you and the other Kajukenbo women, she has come up with creative ideas to bring more women into the art.

You're welcome, but it is I who should be saying thank you for all that you and the other women on the Café have done for women in the martial arts, countless prospective female students, and women in general.

Mahalo,
Andrew
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 06:22:40 PM »
Your right Chief Evans we have come a long way.  :)

The challenges are many.

The journey is long and hard but well worth it.

Thank you again for your inspiring words of wisdom.

Happy 4th of July to you and your family. 8)

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Maureen

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 08:52:48 PM »
Hello to all,
My name is Maureen I am the proud mother of David
The Terrazas Schools first time competitor. I would like to say thank you to all of you for all of your support, Serene is an excellent teacher and a wonderful person. I am so glad David has become a part of The Kajukenbo Family. It make our family proud. Serene is a very devoted teacher, she refuses to close school even on family emergancies. Our school had the honor of having GrandMaster Davis teach the other evening. the boy's loved that.  David has learned a lot from Kajeukenbo and me and his father OH yeah and Serene are very excited to see the man he will become.  David is nine and all he can think about is becoming a black belt when he turn's 16.  Now that is something to look forward to and what a great goal in a young persons life to shot for.  A lot of this love for Kajukenbo is due to Serene, I wish you all could see them together, they feed off each other. It's wonderful. Serene I hope you read this to know just how much you are needed, wanted, and loved.  

From a Proud Mothrer

Maureen

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 12:26:35 PM »
Good Morning Everyone:

WOW!  :o-

If thats not what its all about I don't know what is. ;D

Thank you Maureen. ;D

I agree Shodanson, I think every instructor strives for this moment.

It is a pleasure and a great honor to be able to teach, especially when the students wants to learn.

The students make the instructor. It is the student that works and builds. I provide tools to build. I am looking forward to seeing what my students will build.

I remember believing it was all about me. The ranking, the seminars, compliments and tournaments was me me me.

Now, I've realized it was never about me. Thanks to my students and parents I have learned what it is truly about and.....................

It's all about you. ;D

A toast to all the students and parents for it is you that gives us the opportunity to teach.

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.