Author Topic: Starting your own school  (Read 11089 times)

Offline Sensei_Sue

• White Belt
Re: Starting your own school
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2003, 08:19:56 AM »
I agree with Kempo_Kathy.  That happened a long time ago.  And only once, with me.

Open your school!  You will love it!!   :D

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »

Anthony C.

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2003, 11:07:17 AM »
I think you should go for it and stop thinking about it. I guess I was told along time ago (in a self-defense scenario), if you think, you're dead, let your training do all the work. I would like to apply it to this situation.

You already have the confidence that you can defend yourself. What are the odds if you ever run in to this situation. Very small, and it may never happen.  

So please, stop worrying and just do it.  Reading all of this, looks like you already have allot of support.  Sorry for the kick butt attitude, but I think you can do it.  :)

Anthony C.
(student black-tumpai-chuanfa)  

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2003, 07:27:14 PM »
I have been doing some student teaching.  I know that it can be quite rewarding.  I live in an area where too many schools was be a bad thing.  There is just not enough people, or demand for it.  I am more than happy staying where I am and student teaching for however long that maybe.  I'm not too sure about opening a place of my own, now or in the future.  Only time will tell.  Maybe with more experience and so forth, I may want to try my hand at my own school.  We will see.

As for you, I think you should give it a go.  It sounds like you are more than ready and have a great deal of support.  Just think, you will always have your sensei to help guide you.  You maybe out on your own, but only a phone call away if there is anything you need help with.

The guys will come and go.  But, from what I have seen in our dojo, more of the women stay than the men.  We have three male black belt instructors,  head instructor and two assistants.  What does that say?  The guys coming through our school are not ready to deal with any instructor.  Conflict and questioning will arise at some point; it's part of life.  Set your rules, standards and practices, and you should be good.  Best of luck.  
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Mike Nagano

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Kajukenbo
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2003, 10:32:05 PM »
That is an interesting point you make, triwahine, that the women in your school stick around and the men don't.  There was a time at Sigung Bishop's school when enrollment was low (at the Chino YMCA) when the instructors (myself included) were men and all the students (only a few) were women.  Two of those women went on to earn their black belts, one is currently instructing at his school.  He also has another woman testing for brown belt who took some time away from the art but was originally with the other two women.  And how many men have come and go, while those three women have stayed?  Lots and lots....
Sifu Mike Nagano
Bishop's Kajukenbo Academy

Offline taesujutsu2

• White Belt
  • Greetings
Re:Starting your own school
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2003, 11:45:41 PM »
Hi,
I know of two very successful schools where the women are the head instructors.

Of course mine is a "back yard dojo"..but the other one is very large, and doing quite well. ;D

Peace,
Prof. Williams
Professor Deborah Williams
Founder/Grandmaster
Tae Su Jutsu

Offline Kempo_Kathy

• White Belt
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2003, 09:48:24 AM »
 Professor Williams---Thanks for your input. I agree
 with you. I really think that it doesn't matter if you
 are a women or not. It just matters on the teaching
 ability of the instructor. Not everyone can be a good
 instructor. I have guys in my Karate school who had opportunities to take from male instructors but stay
with me and have been with me for 12 years. When people go to sign up it doesn't matter the gender of the
instructor but if you feel comfortable and like the teaching methods. There are exceptions but they are rare
                    Yours in Kempo, Kathy :) :)
Shihan Kathy Shuras, Shichidan, Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu & Nick Cerio's Kenpo.

Offline Cassidy Drake

• White Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2003, 05:15:51 AM »
I would have no problem taking classes from a woman.  I am a firm believer in judging of ability.  One of the best blackbelts I've ever seen was Deana Bivins of Red Dragon karate.  I left that organization, however she runs a very successful school and she has never really had a problem.  Once in a while men think they are better but oh well.  At my school one of the assistant black belts is a woman and she is one of my all time favorite instructors.  Go for it, only a male shovinist wouldn't take from you.  

TODD

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2003, 09:23:19 AM »
Go for it.  You never will know unless you try.  Are you rural or urban Ohio?  I ask cause of
attitudes towards women.  Urban it may not be an issue and if it is you being female finding
students may not be a problem.  Rural is perhaps different entirely as well as you being in
the "midwest".  I'll try to explain with my own experience.  California and Oregon has their fair share of
male chauvinests but not to the degree as Minnesota.  I was somewhat shocked at the public
perception of women when I moved here.  As in the instructor being challenged or questioned
that happens regardless of sex.  I remember my dad being challenged by a guest instructor
in Oregon.  He handled it by humoring him and just so happened to ask him to demonstrate
his "abilities" by sparring him at the end of class.  As a kid I remember this as my fathers
students surrounded them.  I guess it was quite a show although I couldn't see through the bodies.
This guy did return to our school with a more humble attitude. ;D  Point being that example may
work if you do that to that type of student.  I might add this technique was also used on students.
He didn't loose students by doing this, instead he humbled them and they stuck around longer.
Its true you may get more kids.  I've noticed this be true where I live in rural MN anyways.  Unlike
Oregon male adults seem to not be interested.  Perhaps you do only get kids and females at
first.  That doesn't mean you won't gain a good reputation as an instructor and spark an interest
in the males in your community.  And if you get that a*%hole humble him. ;)  Another point I'd
like to make is try a local community center, school, or church.  No overhead this way.  My dad
used this type of facility for years for free.  His only expense was sparring equiptment.  I plan
on asking the local community center here when the time is right....I've taught kids and there
full of energy with an eagerness to learn....and especially spar.  Only problem is the issue of how
far you can take them, but thats a dirrerent forum.

7 Star

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2003, 01:57:16 AM »
Three successful women-run schools are 7 Star Women's Kung Fu (Sifu Michelle McVadon), Seattle Kajukenbo & Kung Fu Kids (Sifu Melinda Johnson) and Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self Defense Center (Sifu Jen Resnick). The first is an all-women's school and the rest are mixed. You can email the head instructors with any questions you may have.

7starwomenskungfu.org
seattlekajukenbo.org
handtohandkajukenbo.com

Additional resources can be found at:

Association of Women Martial Arts Instructors (awmai.org)
Pacific Association of Women Martial Artists (pawma.org)
National Women's Martial Arts Federation (nwmaf.org)

Offline ThunderingHammers

• White Belt
  • Sophistication Is No More Than Simplicity Compound
    • Action Kenpo Karate
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2003, 04:00:03 AM »
I know of a succesfull school which is run by a female instructor and I realy wish I could train there regular. Revere Karate Academy is owned by Ms. Doreen Cogliandro and she happened to be one of the original members of the Atlantic World Karate Team. She has taught all over the United States, Mexico, Canada, and Europe. She was a student of Ed Parker and she teach AMerican Kenpo Karate. I am proud of the fact that I know here and that I have participate at some of her seminairs. She went to our school in Holland one time to teach and everybody (including all the male students) realy loves her. It is Doreen who drived me forward to do my Black Belt exam which I had postponed for many times.
Visit her webpage at:  www.reverekarate.com for more information on her school and maybe you can contact her for more information regarding starting your own school. I believe she absolutely can motivate you (Mell) to start your school.

I would have no problem learning from a female instructor. We have one in our own school and she is absolutely a great instructor, she teached me the staff set (kata with a Bo) which has led me to first place in the Dutch Kenpo Karate Championships. So the only thing I can say, GO FOR IT MELL!!!

greetings,

Richard
Black Belt American Kenpo Karate (Ed Parkers Method)

Please visit our schools webpage: www.kenpokarate.nl

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 11:14:53 AM »
Add another female run school to the list. ;D
Yesterday Sifu Sussette Blasa re-started ( I moved from there to Diamond Bar 4 years ago) the Kajukenbo school at the Chino Y.M.C.A. (Calif).   Right now she's teaching youth classes, and looking to expand the program into adult classes in the future.  
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2004, 06:16:17 PM »
Sifu S. Blasa Congrats to you and your school.

Best of Wishes! ;D
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.