Author Topic: "The Simplicity of Fighting"  (Read 2174 times)

Karazenpo

"The Simplicity of Fighting"
« on: June 03, 2004, 11:26:15 AM »
This topic has come up here and there on all forums at one time or another. I've always been very outspoken on it.  Let's delve into it again. The simplicity of fighting. Growing up, before any martial arts training, like many of you on this forum, I had my share of fights and good all out brawls. I wasn't a troublemaker but I hung 'uptown' with guys, partied, raced cars and chased girls, lol, so obviously, you will find yourself in 'situations' just from this type of exposure.  All the normal stuff guys do. When I was a brown belt my instructor got me a part time job with him working the door in a pretty rowdy club. They even needed a cop at the door.  Later, I became a police officer. Again, I'm sure several of my brother officers on this forum are smiling right now as they recognize themselves back in "the fog of youth", lol. Others, who may not be in law enforcement, may have also came up the same way as far as life experience in the real world goes. Now, I ask you, how simple is fighting? Man, I was browsing another forum the other day and looking at certain websites and you would think some of these people and systems were preparing themselves from an attack from a giant centepede! For the most part, you're going to be attacked by someone(s) with two arms and two legs, with or without a blunt instrument, edged weapon, flexible weapon (chain) or gun. The many on this forum with real world experience just look back on situations you have experienced or have direct knowledge of.  Also, look at the fights in athletic events and other 'caught on tape' assaults. The methods of attack are pretty redundant to say the least and pretty simplistic. Yet,  imho, certain systems out there today over-complicate it. I still say that's why boxers, kickboxers and good grapplers seem to always do extremely well in real situations. Sure they should supplement their training with some weapon defenses but other than that they use that old,  time-honored and proven principle of K.I.S. S., Keep it Simple Stupid!, lol. I have also stated in the past that is why the old Hawaiian legends of Kenpo/Kempo and Kajukenbo were so effective and had such notorious reputations in the real world! What say you?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 12:29:07 PM by Professor Joe Shuras »

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Re:"The Simplicity of Fighting"
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 11:48:56 AM »
What surprises me is how many men in the martial arts nowdays have never been in a fight in their lives.  I just shake my head thinking, how can a boy grow up without ever getting in a fight?  
Must be all the video games.  Back when boys were into physical activities like football and such, tempers would flare and fists would fly.  And then the next day you were best friends again.  
And then there were the after school fights to settle matters.  I guess the video age kids are just much better negotiators.
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 02:53:31 PM »
I guess the video age kids are just much better negotiators.

If I had to base it on my own personal experience of watching my own son I would have to say they are just to flippin lazy to fight theses days.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 03:32:43 PM »
I'm all for keeping things simple. Especially when situations and other factors inhibit your perception, reaction times, and finer motor controls.

One time I ended up in a short fight in a home, rather than throw the guy (a friend of a friend who had been drinking) down through a glass topped table, I brought him straight down (the only safe direction I could think of at the time), and held him on the ground in a clinch until help came to break up the fight.

Not one of the more complex techniques even came to mind during all of this.

On the other hand, situation warrants appropriate force, the going to the ground with a clinch certainly would not be my preferred option in a street fight. At points it is very important to train as you would fight in a self-protection situation, because when the situation comes up, you will fight how you train, not some other way, so make your training count.

However, to bring up another point (but not to contradict K.I.S.S., which is quite appropriate), there are advantages to complexity. For one thing it builds thought patterns that use both sides of your brain (creative and analytical). The brain is very much a use it or lose it. Complexity in training can help develop those parts of your brain that might be neglected otherwise.

So I guess, I'm not opposed to having complexity in training so long as you also have a good balance of simplicity for fighting effectiveness.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 05:11:51 PM by Wado »
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington