Author Topic: Women's Only Martial Arts Class  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
Women's Only Martial Arts Class
« on: August 12, 2004, 10:15:34 AM »
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans is starting a women's only martial arts class on Saturdays starting September 11th from 10-11:30am.

Every women's only martial arts program in the city (sorry but I'm not counting Tae Bo) has been led by a man. This is the first actually led by a woman.

Her advertising slogan is "Want to learn martial arts...without the sweaty guys?" So far, she's been getting a lot of phone calls from interested women and even a couple of advanced sign-ups.
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
Re:Women's Only Martial Arts Class
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 10:31:37 AM »
One important factor is that babysitting is available.  ;D Chief Instructor Andrew is trying to also work that into the fees. If possible, it's going to be free.

Also, I got my idea of a womens class by visiting 7 star kung fu for women in seattle. I loved the intesity and strength that seems to be missing when women are in our mixed classes.

The hard part is willing giving up my saturdays but it is worth it if I can get the same intesity and spirit I saw at 7 star.   :)

What's great is I am already getting calls for my Sept. start date. I also made sure I put together a calendar of what we will be doing each saturday. Women tend to appreciate structure more than men.

I'm getting excited, and I hope everything goes great!
Sheryl  
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 06:32:05 PM »
Good luck with your new class.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

kadena

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 06:59:03 PM »
Sheryl,

What a wonderful opportunity for the women in your area! I'm sure it will be a great success. Thanks for coming to train at 7 Star. I've passed the information along to Sifu McVadon. I'm sure it will warm the cockles of her heart.

Janette

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 06:59:32 PM »
Best of luck with the program.  I'm anxious to hear how it goes.

Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Rosy

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Kajukenbo 4-Life
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 07:14:15 PM »

I have been hoping to start a program like this at our school.  I think that a women's class is a great idea, hope yours works.  Our's at the Concord School of Karate is still in the planning stage   :)
Through the fist way, one can attain long life and happiness.

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 01:54:43 AM »
I've had a ladies class for a couple of years.  I've opened it up to co-ed recently as I've got enough gals in it that I think new ladies will be comfortable whether there are men or not there.  Also, because I am a lady? not sure of that one :), but I do believe it helps gals feel comfortable trying martial arts.

I do a few things different in that class, one that is really popular is I let them write with chalk on the hanging bags or free-standing bags ( I have quite a few) what ever it is or who ever it is that's causing them some irritation in their lives.  Husband's names get up there quite a bit, then we hit those bags with everything they've got.  The difference of ferocity (compared to just hitting the bags with nothing on them) is rather amazing and they look forward to when we do it.  It's a darn sight cheaper then anger therapy and much more fun.  You might give it a try.

Good luck with your new class.

Terry McBride
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline mattumpai

• White Belt
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 09:47:28 AM »

What a wonderful opportunity for the women in your area! I'm sure it will be a great success. Thanks for coming to train at 7 Star. I've passed the information along to Sifu McVadon. I'm sure it will warm the cockles of her heart.

ummmmmmmmmmm, where in the heart is the "cockle"
 :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Matt Dunphy 
Blue/Green Belt       Kajukenbo Northern Tum Pai

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 04:26:49 AM »
>I do a few things different in that class, one that is >really popular is I let them write with chalk on the >hanging bags or free-standing bags ( I have quite a >few) what ever it is or who ever it is that's causing >them some irritation in their lives.  Husband's names >get up there quite a bit, then we hit those bags with >everything they've got.  The difference of ferocity >>(compared to just hitting the bags with nothing on >them) is rather amazing and they look forward to >when we do it.  It's a darn sight cheaper then anger >therapy and much more fun.  You might give it a try.

Reading this paragraph, I'm somewhat disturbed.  
Please note that I'm trying to continue your topic without an accusatory tone.  So, I've only described the situations in general .

Martial arts in general specifically avoid physical and sociological training to direct physical violence against known individuals.  I think a good test of the ethics of this significant other-target training is to consider the practice in a mixed gender class.  As soon as the target is named, it's no longer a self-defense class.  If it's ok  to leading female students in fantasy and exercise of a physical assault on their  husbands/boyfriends/grandfathers/in-laws,  would it be ok if a female students wrote down the name of her son on a heavy bag, even if he is too large for her to physically discipline ?

Every sport or martial arts class I've experienced taught me to leave my troubles at the door.
The instructor wanted to avoid using an innocent party as an outlet for misplaced aggression.  Here is a paraphrased quote used occasionally by my instructor Prof. Rich Lewis to deal with this situation "Your mind is not on your art.  Give me 100 (pushups) and come back when your mind is clear."

With respect,

Gints Klimanis

« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 06:49:12 AM by Gints Klimanis »
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 02:56:44 PM »
Hi Gints, I can understand what you're saying, but I find that it helps immensly.  No one gets hurt, the aggression is allowed to be taken out on a bag (also shows the ladies what they are capable of should they need to truely defend themselves) and with the aggression (or anger if you want) released, you're able to step back and look at things a bit differently.

Sadly, many people keep their anger bottled up, nowhere to release it safely until perhaps the wrong words or actions are taken.  

Sigung Joel taught us not to bring our anger in and use it on someone else.  Very important and I teach the same way.  This is a great release with out injury.  Well, maybe some sore muscles or knuckles if they aren't hitting the bag right.

Thanks for your input.
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson