Author Topic: The Mom and The Martial Artist  (Read 3193 times)

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
The Mom and The Martial Artist
« on: August 12, 2004, 10:55:13 AM »
I keep getting asked how I balance being a mom and teaching martial arts. I hope this thread allows us mom to share what works for us.  ;D

Timing is key.  :)
We teach mainly at night, so gramps watches the baby.

Adaptability is good.  :)
Need a good excuse to hold the crying baby. When the baby was smaller I could train one handed and then I suggested that students carry something while fighting because one is likely to get attacked while carrying groceries or babies. So my adaptability allows me to create a new idea for training.

Seminars are the toughest challenge.  :)
Training happens during travel time, which gets expensive and tiring with two kids. Plus baby is too big and wiggly now and inevitably needs me right in the middle of training.  So if I'm lucky I find a person who needs a baby fix. Thus at seminars, there are often wives, girlfriends, moms, or grandmas who are not training but are willing to lend a hand.

Kempomama
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Offline ReyesOhana

• White Belt
  • Haumana
Re: The Mom and The Martial Artist
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 03:25:53 PM »
  ;D I get asked all the time about "how" and "when" 

You just do - I have been very blessed with "willing moms" helping me with the toddler coverage(3 yr old)

and its also been very enterprising -  I have at least five moms who have started because they have watched me go thru the promotions and making it work.  We have even taking turns in various classes watching the Kids!

Lisa Rae G  C Reyes
Coast Karate Studios
of Monterey Bay

Offline kogastyle

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 03:35:04 PM »
Adaptability is good.  :)
Need a good excuse to hold the crying baby. When the baby was smaller I could train one handed and then I suggested that students carry something while fighting because one is likely to get attacked while carrying groceries or babies. So my adaptability allows me to create a new idea for training.

Kempomama

That's a really great idea, never thought about it before.  I'm going to have to work on that some since marriage and babies are in my fairly near future. ;D

I once saw a judo coach of mine doing throws on people holding her baby. :o
Sam Warren - 3rd Degree under Grandmaster Walt Andrae

juribe

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 05:46:07 PM »
I have a supportive husband who watches our 3-year old daughter during weeknight classes. Of course, the trade off is that he gets to go on long mountain biking weekends to Tahoe on a regular basis, with no complaints from me. :)

I attend a weekly Saturday class (2-2.5 hours) with my 9-year old son. My daughter is old enough now that we can take her with us, as long as we are "well equipped" with blankie, toys, snacks, and a video. There's an extra room at the school set up for small kids, with chair, table, VCR, and toys. My Saturday instructor has no problem with me leaving the mat to attend to her (mostly pottie training) needs.

My school is very family friendly. I started 12 weeks after having my daughter and my instructor had a 1-1/2 year old daughter who was always at the school while he and his wife were instructing/administrating. So my daughter has been "coming to class" pretty much since she was born and says "Hi Sifu!" every time she sees my instructor.

I find that I am at my best and most consistent with _everything_ when I'm busy. So I manage to hold down a job, train, go running 3 times week, and parent two kids, all with relatively little stress. I'm sure training has a _lot_ to do with the fact that it all feels manageable to me!