Author Topic: Keeping air down  (Read 5215 times)

Matt@AKF

Keeping air down
« on: August 16, 2004, 12:21:04 AM »
Does anybody have ideas, thoughts, or techniques/exercises on "keeping your air down"- as it applies to endurance in conflicts or training/sparring?

Huw Greathead

Re:Keeping air down
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 12:30:11 PM »
I have found that it is often helpful to try to become aware of the correlation between one's emotions and one's breathing process.  For example, if an individual is startled, the average reaction is a "gasp" of air into the chest and a lifting of posture. This is often reasonably tied into an emotion such as fear or excitement.  So the trick, , is to maintain one's cool:  a solid strike to your person does not inspire anger or excitement, but resolve.  This helps in maintaining the solid abdominal breath rather than lifting the air into the chest.  Keep in mind that the grounding breath is quinessential to the successful dropping of one's air.  The more the grounding breath is practiced, whether at home, work, or in training, the greater the ability to keep the air down in a conflict scenario.
  In addition, the continual practice of tai chi is one of the primary tools to learning to tame both the breath and tension of the body.
  Of course, the ability to keep the breath dropped in a prolonged situation will be tied into cardivascular conditioning.
  These are just things I have found to be helpful to my own training.  I humbly offer them up in the hopes that they are of some assistance.  I'm sure others will have other helpful methods and ideas.

Sincerely,
Huw Greathead

Offline Bulldog

• White Belt
  • Only by not trying are you sure to fail
Re: Keeping air down
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 10:29:12 AM »
The ability to 'keep going' when sparring is - of course  - essential. This art form  I have found has been great for developing that. My understanding of 'keeping your air down' is 'diagphragmatic breathing & relaxation'.

Tension, through anxiety ( and who would be anxious when someone is coming at you to beat you up!) results is rapid shallow beathing  ... and in essence upper respiratory tract inflation of the lungs through rapid  movement of the rib cage . Result ....quickly out of breath and gasping !!

By relaxing and focussing on 'belly breathing' as you move around your opponent  you find (as a purple belt friend of mind discovered to his delight last night for the first time!) you can last a lot longer in a confrontation.

That begs the question too do any other schools 'out there' do concentrations?

Bulldog
Green / blue belt
Northern Style Kajukenbo Tum Pai
Prof Doug Bailey
Jim Newton
Black belt
Northern Style Kajukenbo Tum Pai
Professor Doug Bailey
Vancouver WA

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 03:12:57 PM »
Bulldog,

Please comply with member policy by placing your name in the signature line along with your school and instructor. Thank you for your assistance.
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline patk

• Yellow Belt
  • True Victory is Victory over One's Self
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 10:20:23 PM »

That begs the question too do any other schools 'out there' do concentrations?

Our school practices and implements "concentrations".  It is also my belief that, and I do not want to speak for every school but - I think that all schools of Augung Tony Ramos' lineage does concentrations.  If I am wrong I apologize, but this is what I was taught.
Pat Kaley
Student under Sifu Art Butler
Tony Ramos Method

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »
 Concentrations are great for practicing on keeping your air down.  I think it has just as much to do with how your body reacts to conflict.  This will come easier with training.  When you spar and your shoulders are tense and up around your ears like you are doing  shrugs and your hopping around like a mad man you won't last long.  When I say you I don't mean you literally by the way.  Just as an example.  Relax your shoulders and let them fall.  Keep your elbows down like you have a weight hanging from them.  The further they are from your sides the less power, strength, quickness and accuracy you will have not mention extra energy it takes to hold them out like that.  When you hop around try to not actually leave the floor with your toes.  Kind of shuffle instead. 

And most important, only breathe with about the middle two thirds  of your lung capacity.  Meaning try to never take a full breathe and completely fill your lungs.  And try not to ever blow all of the air out either.  One of several reasons for this is that you don't want to get hit in the gut right as you either blow your last breathe out or fill you lungs.  These are some basic techniques taught to me by my teacher that make a huge difference no matter what you are doing.  Especially if you are going up for promotions.  CONTROL!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 04:13:44 PM by guarded »
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.