Author Topic: Wu Teh  (Read 7019 times)

Offline Jon Loren

• Senior Moderator
  • White Belt
Wu Teh
« on: August 28, 2004, 07:00:02 PM »
[This is the third installment of Tum Pai's Tai Chi Wu Teh Code of Training.  The first two installments can be found in the previous topic area "Tum Pai."]

12. Empty your cup of tea. Allow criticism and suggestions by anyone. Students who often have less time in can offer suggestions or catch something that is very true and helpful, if you are open. Remembering that we are all equal human beings helps. Thinking we know a lot, means we know little.
  13. Never openly criticize your teacher. Hold your doubts or criticisms to yourself and possibly your view will change later on the matter. Criticizing back to your teacher says you are their equal in knowledge. This is considered very poor code and essentially you need another teacher.
  14. Don't think of criticism as personal. Criticism is only suggestions or sharing to gain better refinement from outside eyes. This is the reason to take classes in the first place.
  Teachers are no different and need criticism from their seniors to grow. Without self-examination created by suggestions or criticism, one is no better off than reading a book. We need other eyes to tell the real story.
15. Pride. Carry yourself earnestly, try your best even if it's not up to your expectations. Disregard other people's expectations of yourself. T'ai Chi Ch'uan is non-competitive. Doing your best for yourself gives you honor and pride.
16. Push hands practice is practice in containing one's ego. Approach this practice with a smile and from that you will get better at it. Containment of one's ego is essential for proper energy and totalness of T'ai Chi Ch'uan. Remember T'ai Chi Ch'uan is sharing and not competitive unless you make it so.
17. The showing of too much power in any joint exercises shows you have low level ego containment. Use of technique with kindness and appreciation is a sign of strength. To intimidate others is low level.
  Demonstrate containment; this is a sign of strength. It is a personal test to try not to get even when someone betters you. Compliment them.
  Do not feel degraded by being bettered. Appreciate this as being personally helpful. They are giving you something to work on for the future.
  18. Tenacity. It is your responsibility to try your best in all classes.  Do not allow yourself to just follow or stand idle. Practice yourself, regardless of your grasp or ability of the technique. It is your responsibility to not complain of tiredness or your ability to do the practice.
Tenacity is the ability to keep trying with or without the teacher. By doing this you will always feel better when you leave, and you will gather honor and respect. Idleness means idle instruction in return. One reason you take instruction is to practice tenacity of learning.
  19. Cleanliness. Refined cleanliness means refined mind. Clean clothes and body show by example the honor and ethics you hold.
  20. Never ask for more knowledge. Let the teachers decide when you are ready. To ask is a sign that you have down what has already been given you. Remember any knowledge has a life time of perfecting. By working hard on what you have is the first sign that you are getting ready for more and deserve it.
  21. Always remember your teacher's birthday, Christmas, etc. Give them some gift of appreciation from your heart no matter how small. This sign of thoughtfulness and respect allows a bond that makes the teacher feel appreciated, and usually they reciprocate by genuinely wanting to further your knowledge from this appreciation.
  22. If you are far away from your teacher and you visit them or any other teachers, it is proper to bring them a small gift each time. This can be food for casual visits or presents suitable for more important visits. This is tradi-tionally important.
23. If you have had a falling out with your teacher, but
want to re-establish your connection, it is most important to bring a gift upon your "first" contact and to give your humble apology, regardless of whether you feel it is totally deserved. A good teacher will always accept a good apology regardless if they feel they were wrong or you were wrong. "Saving face" most times does not allow the teacher the flexibility of the student.
  24. Anytime one invites the teacher over to their home or anywhere else, it is essential that there is always food and drink available. This shows good manners and respect.

[End of third installment.]

--GM Jon A. Loren

« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 07:01:04 PM by Jon Loren »

Offline Jon Loren

• Senior Moderator
  • White Belt
Wu Teh - 4th installment
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 05:17:39 PM »
[Tum Pai’s Tai Chi Wu Teh Code – Fourth Installment]

MARTIAL SCHOOL ETIQUETTE

1. Always address your teacher with their respected title in or out of class.  They should not be addressed by their first names unless told to do so.  The title of teacher, Sifu, Sensei, Master, Mr. or Mrs., shows respect.  By calling them by their first name means your not acknowledging their training level, and breaches martial code.
2. Always introduce your teacher with their title to students, friends, or to the public, in or out of class.
3. Always address your teacher by their title when writing letters to them or signing checks.  This is a lifetime responsibility of respect.
It is best not to use your title if you have one when addressing a senior.  Be humble.  Giving out titles when addressing seniors is often considered as trying to impress them.
4. Bowing to your teacher, other students, coming in or out of your training area or to the public is a sign of respect.  It is the Oriental way of hand shaking except there is no recognition of monetary achievement, only personal.
Bowing is purely personal and does not mean we bow down to one person or another.  It is simply a pure sign of respect and gratitude.
5. Never debate the cost of instruction with a teacher.  If you feel it is too high, find another teacher who charges less.  Paying teachers to teach is your gift to help pay the rent, pay their transportation, buy them food, etc.  It is a sign of respect.
On the other hand, to debate the costs says that the instruction is debatable in its worth, which is a sign of disrespect.  Always be timely with your tuition.  Teachers in turn will be timely with their instruction.
6. Try not to be late to class.  If you are late, apologize to the teacher upon entering the class.  If you can’t make it routinely on time for some specific reason, discuss this with your teacher ahead of time.
Teachers notice who is on time and who is constantly late without apology.  This effects their instruction.  Do not leave class early because you are tired or have better things to do unless you ask permission from your teacher before hand.
7. Each system has traditions if it is a complete art.  Pay good attention to these traditions for these traditions represent that particular system.  Proper acceptance and usage of these traditions shows your skill level.  Sloppy tradition means sloppy attitude, which means a sloppy practitioner.  
8. Without being asked, clean the training area or various parts of the school like the bathroom, etc.  This shows good humbleness and respect, regardless of how senior one is.
If you see the teacher clean the school, this is telling all that the students are lacking in their responsibility and must quickly take the hint.  No one is too senior to allow this.
9. Senior students should know and feel comfortable with the senior teacher’s rules and be able and willing to explain with understanding these traditions to junior students.  Traditions have reasons and one should understand the necessity for them.  
10. The longer you study from a teacher, the more you represent them.  After five years, you represent your teacher.

[End of fourth installment]

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Re:Wu Teh
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 07:05:07 PM »
Thank you GM Loren. I enjoyed reading it so much I shared it with my teacher and students yesterday.

Before sharing it to my surprise one of my students asked if there was a written etiquette for the dojo. Amazing. :o Timing is everything. ;D

Thank you Sir.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Jon Loren

• Senior Moderator
  • White Belt
Wu Teh-Final Installment
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 01:49:04 PM »
[This is the fifth and final installment of the article of Tum Pai’s Tai Chi Wu-Teh Code.]

VISITING OTHER SCHOOLS OR TEACHERS

1.  When going to participate in other schools, it is always important to ask the teacher’s permission first.
2. If allowed to participate make sure you always pay for the class or leave some kind of tribute to show your appreciation, regardless if the teacher says that money or tribute is not needed. Many times teachers will use this answer to test a student's appreciation and sometimes this effects future class participation.
3. Never wear any kind of rank in someone else's school unless asked to do so. It is even more proper not to wear your regular class uniform in a different school unless it is in your same association or system. Even if the teacher says it does not matter, it is better to wear sweats or something that shows no system or concept. Pride of uniform is for your school only, unless possibly doing a public demonstration.
4. Always bow when entering or leaving someone else's school. Using the bow you are familiar with is acceptable until you see how the bows are done for that school. Once you see their way of bowing, use their method. This is showing respect for their system.
5. If inviting a teacher or senior from another school or system out to dinner, always open the doors for them, allowing them to enter first. Always pay their meals with no reservations as to cost. Never allow them to pay.
This represents your teacher's training of you and gives "face" to not only you but the system you come from. Tipping generously is also a good sign of ethics and shows your genuine gratitude and respect for the occasion.
6. When eating with anyone senior, especially your teacher or with other teachers, always wait until they have eaten their first bite of food before starting to eat yourself. Eating before your seniors start is considered very poor ethics and a lack of respect.
Even the positioning of seating can be offensive if some seats are better than others when eating. If they are drinking tea, coffee, water or whatever, go out of your way to be sure that their cup is always full.
The most senior cup is always checked first, and then down the levels of seniority. This is done whether you are the host, another teacher of junior status, or the lowest person of position.
 Serving them properly is considered good "code" and is analyzed by most senior teachers as to what level of practitioner you are.
7. If introducing a visiting teacher or teachers, always start with the most senior regardless of sex. Never lag in introductions and always use their titles and never just their first names. This order of importance for introductions is also true for senior students and their levels.

CONCLUSION

Though these rules might seem to some to be "over proper," the fact is that these rules are just "some" of the "rules of ethics" that some systems and societies feel are a major factor of proper attitude towards one another or art.
There are many more inner rules that are more subtle if one wanted to learn from true inner ones. There are some who tend to pooh-pooh traditional values of other countries as a waste of time, but as a way of life and true inner meaning of internal arts this can make the difference of "being" the art or not. •

[End of fifth and final installment.]

-GM Jon A. Loren

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 08:50:37 PM »
Thank you GM Loren,

I have truly enjoyed reading these installments.  I find so much of it to be applicable for me and others.  I appreciate the time you have taken to share this with all of us.

I hope to be able to share this with fellow students, present and future.  Very, very informative.

Mahalo nui loa
Brandi
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 09:09:37 PM by triwahine »
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Stuerzl

• White Belt
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 10:42:23 PM »
Thank you GM Loren. I really appretiate the Code of Ethics you put on the Kajukenbo Cafe. :)  I am a student of Segung David Amiccuci at TRK in Fairfield CA.  I am 12 years old and new on the Kajukenbo Cafe web site. I am suprised that I found so much information about Kajukenbo, it's amazing. :o  I hope to see more of your posts and I think I will learn a lot. ;D  

Respectfully,
Jacob Stuerzl

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 09:54:32 AM »
GM Loren,

Thank you for sharing the code of ethics. Examining my personal life I found the code to be quite revealing, some ethics come natural to me, others I still need to work on.

With your permission, I would like to copy and reformat the code of ethics and make it available for download for anyone who is interested.
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Offline David K.

• White Belt
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 11:18:33 PM »
GM Loren,

Thank you for posting the Tum Pai Wuh Teh code of Ethics. I am from the Tony Ramos Kajukenbo dojo in Farifield, California. I found the code very enlightening and i will try to apply it to my daily and martial art life as soon as possible. This is my first post on this web site and i hope to be able to converse with many other pracitioners of Kajukenbo and Masters as well. Thank you for your time sir.

Respectfully,

David Khedry
David K.

Tony Ramos Kajukenbo

Under Sigung David Amiccuci

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 07:12:10 PM »
So many have been impacted by the Wu Teh that with the permission of GM  Loren I have reformatted it and made it available in PDF for anyone to download.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 01:38:14 PM by Rob Poelking »
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Offline GForbach

• Gary Forbach
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 10:37:05 PM »
INCREDIBLE!  ;D
I knew for sure that this was going to be the best thing to happen to the Cafe and the KAJUKENBO Ohana in a long, long time.  8)
I would like to personally welcome Grand Master Jon Loren - my teacher, my friend to the KAJUKENBO Cafe.
By simply reading the previous 5 replies, you can sense the interest and excitement Grand Master Jon has already created.
And yes, Grand Master Jon was my 1st  long-term instructor.  I had worked with Grand Master Aleju Reyes for a short time while going to Vacaville, CA High School, but moved to Longview, Washington and that is where I met this "True Master".
When I began with GM Loren, his school was in Kelso, WA
and I actually had the honor of being in the first group of students there to be tested and promoted to Purple Belt.  ;D
I'm so happy to have GM Loren here to share with all of us the history, philosophy, training methods and basic requirements, applications, of TUM PAI,
I won't go on and on, BUT, if everyone of every rank is hungry for more knowledge (advanced knowledge) that
will blend with any variation you come from, HERE IT IS!  I also want to ask you all to tell as many other KAJUKENBO students and instructors as you can about this section.
I also know that SIJO is really happy  ;D to know that GM Loren is not only Moderating the TUM PAI section, he's also Teaching!
Again,
Thank You Grand Master Loren
You bring strength and leadership to the Ohana.....
Gary Forbach
Newport Beach, CA
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 10:39:16 PM by GForbach »
Gary Forbach, 9th Degree Original Method Kajukenbo under GM Aleju Reyes and Sijo A.D. Emperado