Author Topic: Update on Women's Only Class  (Read 4917 times)

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
Update on Women's Only Class
« on: September 11, 2004, 02:16:44 PM »
Background:  Women of HMA is 100% women. Actually, men will be allowed on the last day for a sparring/self-defense section. Afterwards, these women will be encouraged to join our other classes. Some of our present  female students from our other classes are currently attending both. It's just that some might feel more comfortable with their own gender at first. That's okay, we take them as we get them. I have noticed some women (in other schools) initially gain a stronger spiritual strength when the guys aren't around.

Update:  For the first day we had seven women in class and expect about 2-3 more joining next week. Nixed some of the traditional stuff and added a cool down with some mental training as well for the last section of class.  Some of the new students are more in this for the self-defense and less of the art in karate. It went well, and they picked up the techniques well.

If other women martial artists can add other tips to improve women's classes, please share.

Thanks,
Kempomama
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Offline kadena

• White Belt
Re:Update on Women's Only Class
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 06:53:06 PM »
Congratulations on getting the women's class up and running, Sheryl. Listed below are some general self-defense ideas regarding what we do in our Beginners' Classes.

Verbal self-defense drills: de-escalation, escalation, Broken Record, and using your voice effectively. By that I mean not mumbling, not saying "I'm sorry" before you say "I don't have any spare change" (or whatever), and yelling "Call 911!" which is more effective than yelling "Somebody help me!"

Body posture drills: having an assertive manner and not looking like an easy victim, keeping your awareness up, maybe scratching your chin to surreptiously get a hand up as a shady character walks past you, not backing up when you're verbally accosted, etc.

Awareness drills: don't jog with head phones on, no daydreaming when you're out walking, keep an awareness of your surroundings like where's the nearest exit, what ordinary objects lying around would  make good weapons, what's your attacker wearing?, does he have tattoos? hair color, eye color?, etc.  

Primary target drills: if the situation does degenerate into a physical attack then no flailing about and hitting non-effective targets; all you get to hit are eyes, throat and knees (preferrably multiple strikes to the same target).
Janette, green belt, Gaylord Method, Seven Star Women's Kung Fu

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 01:56:50 AM »
Good information kadena.

And kempomama great to hear about the class. I think I sent a PM to the Chief wishing you luck, but might as well say congratulations on a successful start in this new venture.

If other women martial artists can add other tips to improve women's classes, please share.

>:(

:-*

:P
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 08:00:59 PM »
We finished the first session a couple of weeks ago.   :D

Everything went well. For the last class, we made it an open-session. Thus it was like an ordinary class.

A couple of gals may come back next session while a couple of others may join the mixed-gender classes. If we're really lucky, we'll get gals who are in both classes.

Happy Turkey Day,
Sister Sheryl
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 08:03:30 PM »
BTW, our next ad says:

VICTIM

If you are a woman, the term victim can have its own definition.

Join the women's self-defense class and create a new definition.

What do you think?

Sheryl
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 10:48:32 AM »
While the VICTIM ad sends a powerful message, some might see it as fear-mongering.

On the other hand, it is true that woman are often victims of crime and effective self-defense training could have prevented many of those attacks and/or reduced harm.

Plus a woman can get by with it. If a male instructor said, "Hey women, learn to defend yourselves or become victims," it wouldn't be as effective because it might look like he was trying to take advantage of gender stereotypes. When a woman says it, it has an empowering effect.
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 01:55:44 PM »
Sifu Sheryl:

In my humble oppinion. Victim is a universal word. WE are all potential victims. Whether we train or not.

Self-Defense class is an opportunity to help students find the courage to address those fears. It is a reality check.

The definition will always be the same.  The change is now they are aware of it.

Good luck to you and your students.

Soifua,

« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 04:47:25 PM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 02:49:38 PM »
BTW, our next ad says:

VICTIM

If you are a woman, the term victim can have its own definition.

Join the women's self-defense class and create a new definition.

What do you think?

Sheryl

I like what Kajushodan and Andrew wrote. I consider the term "victim" to be controversal in that it refers more to the target of a crime after the fact. Everyone is a potential victim but your attitude after a crime has been committed has a lot to do with whether you act like a victim or not. A person that is raped, can question themselves and withdrawl from the world, the trauma of which combined with all their life experiences can cause them to act like a victim. On the other hand, that same person could move on and not act like a victim.

Let me ellaborate. A criminal is most likely to go after an easy target. Those that are aware, appear confident, and have combat training and experience tend to project themselves as NOT easy targets, so that alone can help avoid trouble.

However, it isn't all about the person. Criminals look at perceived rewards verses perceived risks. Even the toughest looking well trained person can become a target to criminals if they happen to be alone wearing their Rolex and leaving a cash machine at 4:00 in the morning.

Is that tough and well trained person a "victim" or that person "the target of criminals"?  

So I say that victim has more to do with the outcome of events and the attitude that follows. So maybe I would recommend rewording the Ad to be something like:

VICTIM

If you are a woman, the term victim can have its own personal meaning.

Join the women's self-defense class and redefine yourself.

Anyway, best of luck with your classes. Take care.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 08:16:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for all of the imput.

After receiving imput from you and my advertising professor, I stuck to my guns (so to speak) but highlighted and bolded the words victim, woman and self-defense.  I refrained from being too personal because I was reminded that busy people only see what catches their eye and moves on, so I kept it simple and not too dramatic.
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans