Author Topic: 108 Combinations  (Read 12955 times)

Offline Dpkempo

• White Belt
108 Combinations
« on: October 20, 2004, 10:45:11 AM »
 I have been training for 17 years and have combinations 1-40 plus a dozen additional between 40 - 108.  One of my goals is to learn all 108 combinations.  I know that Villari devloped most of the higher number combinations.  I was hoping that there would be someone that could help me with my quest.  Thank You

Sifu Dominick :D
Sifu Dominick Panetta
American Kempo
Kempo Martial Arts

Karazenpo

Re:108 Combinations
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 01:56:21 PM »
Hello Sifu Dominick, I see you're from Long Island, N.Y. Professor Thomas Ingargliola is from that area and runs the Shaolin Self Defense Centers. He trained privately with Gm. Villari and I think he has much if not all of the system. He's now under Professor Kimo Ferrierra but much of his curriculum is still Villari's. Here's his contact information:

To contact Shihan Ingargiola about seminars/workshops,
training, belt certifications or  just to ask
a question regarding your martial arts training,
please contact him directly at his main school
 (631) 321-1910 or his personal e-mail
 (tingargiola@shaolinkempo.com)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 01:59:26 PM by Professor Joe Shuras »

Offline Dpkempo

• White Belt
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 08:43:06 PM »
Thank you very much for the info.  I used to train under Professor  Ingargiola. I was hoping there would be others out there that would more of these techniques as they were originally taught.  :)
Sifu Dominick Panetta
American Kempo
Kempo Martial Arts

Karazenpo

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 08:54:58 AM »
Hi Sifu, it's very difficult to find someone out there who has all 108 combinations, not to mention, it's difficult to find them the way they were originally taught. You're right, Gm. Villari added the combinations, I'd say from at least 40-108. Professor Cerio had told me he taught Villari about 35 combinations before they parted ways. (Cerio, was in turn, taught the 'original' 21 by Gm. S. George Pesare) before they departed ways. Looking at some of the 'original' from 36-39, it looks to me that they were either Cerio's work or inspired by him. #40, though, things start taking on a Kung Fu flavor and I attribute that to Villari perspective.  I was orignally taught the advanced combinations by Hanshi Craig Seavey and later Master John Fritz. I also attended a black belt workout in Dedham, Ma. by Gm. Villari and he went over 1-39 and I still have them from that era which had to go back to around 1979, 1980 at the latest. Back then, what Seavey & Fritz taught was the same when I went to Villari's workout. So, it appeared everyone was on the same page but things were different then, the organization was much smaller with a much better quality control. Imho, the super- expansion plan that came about really hurt the quality control of the studios-there were still many excellent instructors with the mediocre and of course the 'terrible'!  I'm not saying there no problems when the chain was much smaller for even a small chain of franchised schools will have its problems with Q.C. but the bigger you get the more this problem is magnified and this goes for all large organizations, EPAK, Tracy's, etc. Nobody is immune to this. The smaller the organization the tighter you can pull the reins in. Take care & be safe, Professor Joe
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 08:58:03 AM by Professor Joe Shuras »

Offline Dpkempo

• White Belt
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 08:24:34 PM »
Hello Professor Joe,
It would be great if there were a video or a manual of some of the combinations.  I know that there have been many changes in them since they were originally taught,  but it would be nice if someone could record them so there could be some way to keep them consistent from one dojo to the next.  There are probably instructors that wouldn't like to see them recorded because they might have changed the techniques themselves.  They would argue that they teach the original way ( whatever that means ) or that there way is better.  Anyone with an open mind will look at it with an open mind, anyone without will not accept it unless it's the way yhet they teach it.  Sifu Dominick :)
Sifu Dominick Panetta
American Kempo
Kempo Martial Arts

Karazenpo

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 10:02:47 AM »
Sifu Dominick, they do. Masters of Self Defense, a Villari offshoot was founded by Shihans Bob Nohelty and Jimmy Bryant. They have a very comprehensive manuel with a complete breakdown of all forms and combinations form beginner to beyond shodan. I think they go up at least to around nidan or so. Shihan Charlie Materra of United Studios of Self Defense, another Villari offshoot, also has a manuel. It's not as comprehensive but it's okay. It covers from beginner to black belt with froms, combinations and blocking systems. The Masters one is much more thorough on the system. ;)

Offline Matt

• Yellow Belt
  • Hey - look ! Your shoe is untied!
    • Cape Cod Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 11:51:46 AM »
Sifu Dominick, they do. Masters of Self Defense, a Villari offshoot was founded by Shihans Bob Nohelty and Jimmy Bryant. They have a very comprehensive manuel with a complete breakdown of all forms and combinations form beginner to beyond shodan. I think they go up at least to around nidan or so. Shihan Charlie Materra of United Studios of Self Defense, another Villari offshoot, also has a manuel. It's not as comprehensive but it's okay. It covers from beginner to black belt with froms, combinations and blocking systems. The Masters one is much more thorough on the system. ;)

Ahh yes, Manuel, the the Masters Self Defense Centers affiliate from Mexico. He is good and knows all the combinations! ;)

In all seriousness, although I am no longer affiliated with them in any official capacity, Professors Bryant and Nohelty did put together a nice manual. The latest revision has a black cover, and covers combinations 1-35. I am reasonably sure that Professor Bryant has most if not all of the combinations. As a matter of cross referencing, Combination #93 is done very similarly by both Professor Jim Bryant and Professor Tom Ingargiola, so I'm pretty sure neither has done too much 'filling in the blanks'.

You can contact Masters Self Defense Centers through their website:

www.masterscenters.com

Matt
Matthew Barnes
Cape Cod Martial Arts Academy / Kempo Jutsu Kai International
"Let them call me rebel, and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whøre of my soul by swearing allegiance to one..." Thomas Paine, The AMERICAN CRISIS.

Offline Jon Pack

• Yellow Belt
    • www.chippewavalleykempo.com
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 07:36:52 AM »
I have about half a dozen student manuals from USSD if anyone is interested. They also have a video series from white to black.
If anyone is interested in the manuals let me know, I am asking $20 each.
Please no USSD franchise owners, these are for others who don't have access... the studios pay $50 each for these just to let you know.

Chippewa Valley Kempo
Attn: Jon Pack
2 Bay Street #1
Chippewa Falls, Wi.
Chief Instructor
Chippewa Valley Kempo
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 03:11:55 PM »
Villari also has a DVD and Video Tape series from white to black that has all of the combos to shodan. Now, the USSD tape series (which I gave to a friend) from white to black is far less comprehensive. Plus they have subtly changed a few things from Villari's.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline hunter

• Blue Belt
Re: 108 Combinations
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 07:11:02 AM »
Are ALL 108 on Video Tape?
Boston
(where kajukenbo is rare)

Offline topkick

• White Belt
  • Volunteer Firefighter/EMT for Milan
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 01:20:42 PM »
Does any one have all 108 written down some where? If so were can I get a copy
If you cant take the Heat become a cop

Tim Wiza
Volunteer Firefighter for Milan, MI
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, Purple Belt
Professor Richard H. Lewis, Sunnyvale, CA

Offline Reviv

• White Belt
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 11:08:40 PM »
http://home.comcast.net/~matthewabarnes/

this should help.. Matt is always looking for the rest
In Peace
Jesse
Jesse Dwire IV

Offline topkick

• White Belt
  • Volunteer Firefighter/EMT for Milan
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 07:32:47 AM »
Thanks Reviv I just went out there and read thru a few I need to copy these again thanks
If you cant take the Heat become a cop

Tim Wiza
Volunteer Firefighter for Milan, MI
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, Purple Belt
Professor Richard H. Lewis, Sunnyvale, CA

Offline Matt

• Yellow Belt
  • Hey - look ! Your shoe is untied!
    • Cape Cod Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 09:48:31 AM »
Thanks Reviv I just went out there and read thru a few I need to copy these again thanks

Check back often, as of last night we are up to:

Have (88 total):
1-78
80,81, 85, 87-90

Need (20 total):

82-84, 86
91-92
97-108

Not there quite yet, but pretty close.

Matt
Matthew Barnes
Cape Cod Martial Arts Academy / Kempo Jutsu Kai International
"Let them call me rebel, and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whøre of my soul by swearing allegiance to one..." Thomas Paine, The AMERICAN CRISIS.