Author Topic: Jeet Kune Do vs Kajukenbo  (Read 15801 times)

Offline Humble Student1243

• White Belt
Jeet Kune Do vs Kajukenbo
« on: November 23, 2004, 12:18:28 AM »
How does JKD size up to Kajukenbo. While Kajukenbo takes the best out of 5 styles to make 1 great one Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do is formless so you can conform to any fight. Which one is better.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:18:57 AM by Humble Student1243 »

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
Re:Jeet Kune Do vs Kajukenbo
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 02:05:01 AM »
How does JKD size up to Kajukenbo. While Kajukenbo takes the best out of 5 styles to make 1 great one Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do is formless so you can conform to any fight. Which one is better.

Kajukenbo is better of course. But you could always go to a Jeet Kune Do forum and ask them the same question.  ;D
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Lamont

• White Belt
    • Blackbird Training Group
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 10:08:11 PM »
Hi Wade,

That was clever, you answered that so easily, here are a couple more:

samurai vs. knight
thrusting vs. slashing
grappling vs. striking
.45 vs. 9mm
ninja vs. anything

;D

Lamont

PS: Humble Student, the point is that it is very seldom that you can answer a "versus" argument definitively, and perhaps particularly when the issue is martial art styles.

Lamont Glass
Kenpo Karate- 3rd black
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali - Guro
And at one time, a very great while ago, a blue in Kajukenbo.

"Detached reflection cannot be expected in the presence of an upraised knife."
   ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 03:00:12 AM »
Hey Lamont, are you the same Lamont I used to train with up in Seattle?

And Humble Student1243, I really could not answer your question because people get out of martial arts what they put into it.

If you train your martial arts for sport, you will get better at sport, if you train your martial arts for street fighting, you will get better at street fighting, etc.

If you train hard and long enough to entrain good habits and principles into your combat instincts, and your technique are good, some of that knowledge and experience will transfer to other situations and environments. Some of what is learned in ground grappling will help in stand up grappling, some of stand up striking will help in ground attack striking.

Either JKD or Kaju can be better for you, it depends how you train it to meet the goals you have.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 08:41:05 AM »
Each art has its strong points and weak points. We don't fight arts though-we fight people.

If Bob trains in Kajukenbo and Bill trains in Judo who would win in a fight? Would it make a difference if Bob has trained for six months and Bill for 10 years?

How about Jim who trains in jujitsu versus Fred who trains in tae kwon do? By the way, Jim is 5-2 140, Fred is 6-5 260. I'd put my money on Fred!

What about Ralph who trains in Shotokan versus Steve who does Hapkido? Ralph has never had a real fight, Steve works at a prison an deals with confrontation all the time. Sure seems like Steve would take this one.

People fight people-the art is just what we use to fight with.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Humble Student

• White Belt
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 01:49:06 PM »

PS: Humble Student, the point is that it is very seldom that you can answer a "versus" argument definitively, and perhaps particularly when the issue is martial art styles.

Lamont, why are you telling me? ;D    
Mike Johnson  
Guangxi School of Martial Arts          
Napa, California

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 02:50:15 PM »
I think Kajukenbo and JKD have more in common than most think.

- Both use a base of knowledge to build from
 - Both cross train and absorb what is useful
 - Individuals in both arts develop their own expressions

The art is just a conduit, the practitioner makes the circuit.

For my own personal development I have incorporated a lot of JKD material.. But that is the beauty of Kajukenbo also.. I have absorbed what I feel is useful from JKD and other systems and incorporated it into my personal Kajukenbo..

Once you have a solid foundation in your art, cross training is a natural evolution.

- Train with good people
 - Test your stuff and keep up to date
 - Keep an open mind.

Keep up the hard training.

Dean.
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline dshioi

• Senior Black Belt
  • White Belt
  • M&M
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 08:24:25 PM »
I agree with sifu Goldade, take what you like from JKD and add it to your system, then there be no need to compare which is better. Use Kajukenbo as your base and study as many different styles as possible.  Being open to other styles is the true beauty of Kajukenbo. 8)

Offline Jon Pack

• Yellow Belt
    • www.chippewavalleykempo.com
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 03:50:44 PM »
We here know what Kajukenbo is. Thanks to Sijo and the founders it has been well documented.
I don't think you can get a grasp on JKD the same way.
Bruce's JKD was a way to distill Tai Chi he studied as a boy and Wing Chun as a teen, also the philosophy of his cultures.
It was also a way to take off the blinders of set systems, to be able to see what other training had to offer.
Hartsells JKD is different than Bustillio's who's is different than Wong's, who's is different than Inosanto's.
One is a grappler, one a boxer, one kung fu oriented and the other from more of a Kenpo & Philipino background.
The idea is to distill(absorb what is usefull and disguard what is not)/a process of refinement.
The founders of Kajukenbo did that long ago, they were ahead of their time!
JKD is a guide to discover the most functional core of your foundation and also a liberating concept that allows you to see the usefullness of others.
Chief Instructor
Chippewa Valley Kempo
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 10:17:41 AM »
Aloha Jon,
Like I said before, JKD and Kajukenbo have more similarities than differences..

Most JKD people whether concept or OJKD start with the Jun Fan Gung Fu base. This is also very well documented and ciricullums exist for all eras, Hong Kong, Seattle, Oakland, and L.A. Chinatown.

From the Jun Fan foundation the student is to search their own path.

This is very similar to Kajukenbo's evolution. From the core or base system whether it be Kenpo, Chuan Fa, Won Hop Kuen Do or Tum Pai, the student does have the freedom and is encouraged to make the art their own. But we need to stay true to our roots!!

I am sure we both know many Kajukenbo black belts and instructors who have chosen thier own paths and individual expressions. From boxing to Muay Thai, Filipino, and Chinese martial arts to NHB / MMA..

The beautiful thing is that Sijo and the founders set the foundation for cross training. Bruce Lee got a lot of credit for it, but Kajukenbo has been doing it since the 40's..  

I always wonder about the Oakland years, and Bruce Lee's time spent with many of the Kajukenbo seniors, as well as G.M. Ed Parker, G.M. Ralph Castro and others.

Would JKD have taken the path it had without Bruce Lee's interraction with many of the prominent martial artists in the Oakland and L.A. timeframes?

Bruce Lee reached the world through his movies.

If only Sijo would have made a movie... :-)

Keep up the hard training.

Dean.
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline Lamont

• White Belt
    • Blackbird Training Group
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 12:18:06 AM »
Hey Lamont, are you the same Lamont I used to train with up in Seattle?

Yup, I've been meaning to drop in on you and Mr. Mateo on one of my visits back in Seattle.  

Lamont
Lamont Glass
Kenpo Karate- 3rd black
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali - Guro
And at one time, a very great while ago, a blue in Kajukenbo.

"Detached reflection cannot be expected in the presence of an upraised knife."
   ~Oliver Wendall Holmes

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 02:03:36 AM »

If only Sijo would have made a movie... :-)

How about a movie about Sijo?  Let's get somebody on that. ;D
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 03:33:06 PM »
I teach both arts and have for many years, I'm a Kaju instructor under Yoshii/Gaylord and a Jeet Kune Do Instructor under Larry Hartsell who was one of Bruce's first students.  Like many have said they compliment each other.  I tell new students when they ask , that the Kaju brings in the physical and mental toughness and the JKD has many techniques that I don't commonly see in others arts.  I know some very skilled JKD practitioners that are very well rounded with kicks, punches and grappling as well as weapons.  I know some Kaju guys that you would have to kill before they would stop the fighting to help a friend.  Both great arts, both are American arts.  I'll take either or preferably both on my side in a fight...enough said, ...Peace,  Sigung JEBDC
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Bob Suttles

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 09:49:56 PM »
 Hello
    It is all good. You get hit by a Kaju. man are a JKD  man , It is going to hurt.Take it all in. You will be better in the long run.
                   Bob Suttles

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 01:14:15 AM »
Absorb what is useful.........
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 09:10:27 AM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision