Author Topic: Women's Self-Defense Course  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
Women's Self-Defense Course
« on: January 28, 2005, 10:48:26 PM »
I'm preparing to have a 4 week women's self-defense course.  I've had good success with these and it looks like this one will do well also.  In the past the instructors and assistants wore groin protection, shin and instep guards, head gear and chest protection that also protected the upper spine.  I find that having the gear on allows the women to hit a lot harder then they will if we don't wear it.  

I'm thinking of increasing the protection, getting thumped by 10-15 women for 2-4 hours without much control gets a little sore.  So I'm looking at the FIST suit, the Redman etc...,

There will only be 2 instructors and from the response so for, I'm thinking it'll be two seperate classes so I can keep the number managable (Saturday morning then early afternoon).

I'm getting the idea that a mix and match idea would be best.  What combination have any of you out there used.  Could you please let me know.  Thank you in advance.

Terry McBride
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
Re:Women's Self-Defense Course
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:35:01 PM »
Red man is okay but FIST is the best. Go with that.

As for our class, my goal is to ease the women who prefer not training with men to eventually move that way. Or if they just stick with the gals, that's okay too.

My class is strictly 100% female including instructors. For the last class, that's when I bring the guys in. Once I wanted to have the guys suit up and let the gals wail on them but Chief said that didn't look so cool for feminism. Go figure!

So we just keep them on a level playing field and you know what? The gals still whup their butts!!!
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Offline Pacificshore

• Yellow Belt
  • Just train!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 04:03:28 PM »
If you decide on the FIST suit, just make sure at the end of the day, you lay it completely flat to dry out.  If you don't, the foam will become warped and a pain to flatten out.
Gene R.
Kara-Ho Kempo

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 12:14:13 AM »
A quick note of thinks to Kempomama and Pacific Shores for your input.  We'll probably go for the FIST suit one of these days, but this time we'll stick with what we've used in the past until I have a little extra $$ to buy some goodies.

I love teaching the women's self-defense courses.  Watching average ladies with no background in martial arts get wicked.  They just get mean by the last class, good stuff.

Terry
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson