Author Topic: Your sparring style  (Read 8221 times)

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
Your sparring style
« on: April 07, 2005, 05:03:23 PM »
Open question - how do you usually spar/fight?  Are you the aggressor?  Defensive?  Mobile or static?  Do you rely on hands, feet, both, neither?

I find myself most comfortably as a counter-attacker, rather than outright aggressor - I trust my defenses to deflect/destroy the attack, then use the oppertunity to counter.  Not that it always works, but the few times I've done well, that was my strategy.  I usually try to use kicks to keep my opponent guessing and at distance, since with rare exception my legs are longer than my opponent's (particularly at my weight class of ~150 lbs. and being 5'11" :) ).   I don't really like 'dancing' around a lot, but I can throw techniques from transitions if I have to (though like everything else it needs a lot of work and practice).  Usually once I close the distance I get in a punch, maybe two, then go for the takedown - I guess it's the judo I did for a while, but once I close the distance I feel more comfortable with throws than hand strikes.  I have a hard time with no-takedown sparring, because my build and comfort level aren't condusive to trading punches, and striking-retreating often gets me hit on the way out  :-\
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
Re: Your sparring style
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 12:24:17 PM »
First I try to take all sparring seriously, keep my guard up and be ready to accept any hit to protect myself.

As far as sparring style, I consider sparring mostly for learning. I will often ask people to hit me harder if they aren't making good contact. I will also work different things at different times such as working more on clinching or more on kicks or more on takedowns. I might find something that seems to work well and then I will try it on different sparring partners to see how they defend against it. Sometimes something will work three out of four times but I will find someone it doesn't work on and then it is back to the drawing board.

If it is sparring more as a competition or test, sometimes I will play the counter puncher, make the opponent do all the work, and the very next time I will charge right in very aggressively, there is no telling what I might do... keeps the opponent guessing what I will do next, keeps them off balance.

If it comes down to a situation where I would want to be more conservative to protect myself, then this is closer to the streets. This is closer to fighting. No fancy stuff, just attack with power, accuracy and speed ANY available target. Change the rhythm/speed and angles of attack, attack on "quarter beats" (transitions), change the attack midway into it, intercept and move off the line of attack, be rooted for power. Keep the mind empty and work off of seated combat instinct.

Ideally, aspects of all of the above are always present in sparring to different degrees as appropriate to the situation. For instance, it is good to keep an empty mind (clear mind), but not always possible when learning and working new things.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:26:11 PM by Wado »
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Claudio

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Empty your mind
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 07:01:50 PM »
I'm a counter fighter at heart but I will initiate first to get you to make mistake or get you to commit to an attack. I know one of my strengths is my speed, if my opponent doesn'tpick up my movement, he's hit. I always hit in 2 - 3 hit combinations to make sure each is as fast as I can throw them and powerful, but I also so like hitting with multiple strikes to overwhelm. My other strength is my power, I'm a short guy (5'7) but I use to fight heavy weight at 198 to 208lbs so you had to bring it with the big guys. Now I'm around 175lbs a little bit quicker but with just about the same power to back them off me. I don't back  up and but I move at angles. To make them think they can hit me, I also don't use big movements, if I slip a kick or punch it's by very little so that I can counter off the movement immediately
Prof. Claude "Claudio" Lawson III
Ronin Kombat Systems / American Kajukembo Assoc

Kajukembo/Kajukenbo(GM Davis)/ Brazilian Jiujitsu/Kick Boxing/ Practical Weapons/ JKD

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 05:08:24 PM »
I feel that I do equally well whether I am on the offense or countering.  I have very good feet and can move around well.  My favorite and most effective style is to square up on my opponant even if just for an instance untill he attacks and then hit him with a reverse punch.  I am accurate and powerful with either hand so you can't really concentrate on either of them.  I know a lot of people look down on sparring because it is not really self defense but it does sharpen your reflexes and well, it's fun.  If all you do sparring than ok.  It is not gonna help when someone attacks in the street.  But if your main area of training is self defense then when the time comes it will be there for you. ;D
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 06:50:10 PM »
A reverse punch is really not a street applicable strike.  In sparring it is hard to use with constant fighting. Unless you are talking about point sparring...Could you tell me your age, years training, how tall you are and how much you weigh Guarded. If you don't mind me asking..  You said you were accurate and powerful with both hands.  I'm curious what that was relative to...I like to counter fight, but being the aggressor is what normally wins the fight...
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline supertim2003

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • "That's going to leave a mark"
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 07:12:54 AM »
In our school we basically divide fighters into 3 groups.  Runners, blockers, and jammers.  I would have to put myself into more of the blocker group, which would be more of a counter striker.  While I agree that more often than not the aggressor in a match will prevail, there are those who are masters at anticipation (they know what you are going to do before you do).  I do try to experiment with all three techniques because they all have there advantages/disadvantages.  In Jerry's (guarded) post regarding his ability to get off the reverse punch, since I have sparred often with him I know he sets it up with his footwork by sidestepping or slipping a technique then waits for the opening.  This technique is mostly effective in point sparring, but knowing Jerry I am sure he generates enough power with it to make it an effective technique in continuous sparring.
Tim Morrow 1st Degree Black Sash Kajukenbo Tum Pai

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 11:45:11 AM »
A reverse punch does have great power, but have you ever seen a professional fighter use one...that was my point that's all.  It doesn't allow continuous fighting.  It's a punch you have to sit down your power into to make it effective. Which stops mobility.  Also if your hand is at your waist what is blocking your head....Know what I mean.
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 03:02:37 PM »
A reverse punch does have great power, but have you ever seen a professional fighter use one...that was my point that's all.  It doesn't allow continuous fighting.  It's a punch you have to sit down your power into to make it effective. Which stops mobility.  Also if your hand is at your waist what is blocking your head....Know what I mean.

I was told one time that the reverse punch technique practiced in karate was a strike intended to be used to punch through the type of armor worn at the time of the samurai.

I have been hit by it in the solar plexus and it knocked the wind out of me very effectively without even full force. A three quarters angled hit to the floating ribs by the strike is also very painful. It can generate a lot of power.

My point is that this technique was designed for a special purpose in mind as well as to target certain vital points. There may be better techniques to target other parts of the body when wearing hand pads or when barefisted, or when striking from the guard (hands up). That is maybe why it is not a common technique in fighting competitions outside of karate.

Just some thoughts.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 03:48:38 PM »
Of course now that you said that, I'm going to have to find some armor to punch through... if I stop posting for a while it will only be till my hand heals in case I fail...Peace
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 04:16:29 PM »
Of course now that you said that, I'm going to have to find some armor to punch through... if I stop posting for a while it will only be till my hand heals in case I fail...Peace

Yikes  :P

Maybe I should have said that I was told the reverse punch technique was found to be more effective than other types of punches verse the lighter, somewhat rigid armor worn at the time of the samurai by lesser samurai or bandits (not the really good armor made with steel plates).
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 04:32:24 PM »
Lucky you told me I was eyeballing my 1970 Sedan De Ville door...
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Claudio

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Empty your mind
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 08:46:08 PM »
I actually used a lung punch in a fight, it worked very well. I broke the kids nose. My hands were up like a boxer though, and I think I was 15yrs old and the other kid was 18 or 19. Anyway Sigung Bono you right it's a very powerful punch, but you have to move very fast and you have to sit down on it. I actually threw it twice the first time didn't do anything the second time was the good one.

Would I throw that today ,maybe, heck no, all of the above. depends on the situatuation
Prof. Claude "Claudio" Lawson III
Ronin Kombat Systems / American Kajukembo Assoc

Kajukembo/Kajukenbo(GM Davis)/ Brazilian Jiujitsu/Kick Boxing/ Practical Weapons/ JKD

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 10:50:37 PM »
Sweet!!
GM John E Bono DC

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 07:29:55 PM »
A reverse punch is really not a street applicable strike.  In sparring it is hard to use with constant fighting. Unless you are talking about point sparring...Could you tell me your age, years training, how tall you are and how much you weigh Guarded. If you don't mind me asking..  You said you were accurate and powerful with both hands.  I'm curious what that was relative to...I like to counter fight, but being the aggressor is what normally wins the fight...
To answer your questions first.  I am 36, 6' tall and 225 pounds.  I have been training in Kajukenbo for about 4 years.  I also did some boxing when I was in high school.  As far as street fighting goes, I have been in 3 street fights in my adult life.  I never threw the first punch but in all 3 of them I landed the first punch, and the last.  All 3 were reverse punches.  I was never taught to keep my hands at my waist.  I throw a reverse punch from chest level.
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 07:49:46 PM »
Thanks for the note Gerry.  I'm 5'11", 251 lbss, I boxed for 15 yrs and have been in the arts for 32 yrs.  I'm 41 yrs...old man...  I have been in many street fights and lots of fights, MMA style, plus bouncing etc...  I haven't seen many fights in my life that ended with one punch.  Your a big guy and have some training, so I'm sure if you have been training right you can generate some good power.  I've been around the fight game along time and it's just very rare that one punch ends a fight, it's like a hole in one...it's nice but I never count on them to win...  If you talked to Professor Harper and all the big guys he has at his school I would imagine they would state the same thing.  The reason I wrote about the reverse punch is that by definition, it's held at your side. If it's up it's more like a boxers right cross.  Here's an online definition

How to Perform a Reverse Punch in Karate
A single punch will rarely end an attack. Add a reverse punch and you'll cause surprise and doubt into your attacker.

Steps:
1.     Face forward with your feet about a shoulder's width apart. Step forward on one leg with your knee bent. Your back leg will be straight (front stance).

2.     Start with your forward arm extended in front of your body. The fist will face downward.

3.     Keep your punching arm at your side, your hand formed into upturned fist.

4.     Punch forward quickly with your rear arm, twisting the wrist immediately before contact, so that the fist is facing downward. At the same time, pull the lead arm back until it rests at your side, twisting the wrist until the fist faces upward.

5.     Use the power of your hips and legs as you twist to throw the reverse punch.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 07:51:22 PM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC