Author Topic: The Goal of Kajukenbo  (Read 8037 times)

Offline Bryan Reed

• White Belt
  • Hajime
Re: The Goal of Kajukenbo
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2005, 04:03:02 PM »
I don't think the goal of KajuKenbo can be seen as a whole. Because isn't the Martial Arts used to better yourself? So the goal of KajuKenbo is how the students use it, the teachers teach it. For example, a students gets his second degree black belt and suddenly dissagrees with what he is teaching and wants to teach something else. Well lets say his teacher views on KajuKenbo's goals are to stay original knowledge. Well they see it differently and there is no real definitive goal there. My goal is to become a black belt, be the best I can be and never be viewed as a bad person by the people around me or the students I may end up teaching. Since the Martial Arts is to better ones self, that could be my goal of Kajukenbo. The " Goal " is only as strong, or difinitive as those students who follow what they have been taught, or how strong thier loyalty is to who teaches them.
I push myself to my limits cause I can, cause I choose to.

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 01:59:52 AM »
You are wong Brian, to state that your goal is to become a Black Belt shows your inexperience. The goal is to become goalless ;)  And then to snatch the pebble from my hand :P
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 09:37:18 AM »
Or my hand
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 10:57:04 AM »
My goal is to become a black belt, be the best I can be and never be viewed as a bad person by the people around me or the students I may end up teaching.

You are wong Brian, to state that your goal is to become a Black Belt shows your inexperience. The goal is to become goalless ;)  And then to snatch the pebble from my hand :P

If you had read the entirety of what he said, you would see that his goal is not solely to become a black belt, but also to be a good person... something we should all strive for, regardless of rank or post count.
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 11:33:21 AM »
And if you reread my post you will notice the emoticons with the wink and then the tongue 8)
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Bryan Reed

• White Belt
  • Hajime
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 03:20:32 PM »
I suppose..but that was just a reason..backing what I was trying to say. ><; I was atempting to get acrossed that if fifty students think that Kajukenbo's goal is fifty different things..That just proves how idividual the Martial Arts is. And that there can be no definitive goal. And towards my wanting to become a Black Belt? It is a miniscule goal in the gist of things..but that is only half of it..my goal is to become whatever rank of black belt I become in the end and anyone under me and whatnot, hopefully won't have anything bad to say about me. That is the other half..and even that can be broken down to where I want my technique to be as good as possible so no one would say anything about that..my personality..my teaching abilities..myself as a person. There are so many subscripts of that one goal.  :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(......( THose things are so cool )
I push myself to my limits cause I can, cause I choose to.

Offline kogastyle

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2005, 10:24:09 AM »
If you had read the entirety of what he said, you would see that his goal is not solely to become a black belt, but also to be a good person... something we should all strive for, regardless of rank or post count.

I think that mostly it was how it was written as it was somewhat difficult to understand the meaning, at least to me.  A black belt by itself isn't really a goal if you think about it.  If you want one bad enough you can find someone willing to promote you with no skills whatsoever if you have the cash.  Hell, you can even buy one out of a catalog if you get desparate.  If you make your goal to gain the skills and abilities of a black belt, the belt will come on its own.  The skills are more important than the color anyway. :)
Sam Warren - 3rd Degree under Grandmaster Walt Andrae

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 12:39:20 PM »
I keep hearing the politically correct Black belt isn't a goal, and yes I know the journey is the important thing.  I have a saying posted on the wall in my office that says, "Your tombstone will have two dates on it, but its the dash in the middle that matters the most"  I believe this to be true, but I started training in the arts at 9 yrs. old and always longed to be a black belt and the best one I could be.  As a matter of fact I actually wanted to be a 3rd degree black belt, I guess for some reason that seemed like a good number.  Though many don't like to admit it, black belt at a hard and quality school, is a great goal........like I always say..."it's like a Ph.D. in butt kicking".   The problem is when students Only want the belt and sacrifice the knowledge. Black belt mills ("Our Goal is Black belt") are a parasite to the real martial artists, living off their good reputations.  I know alot of Non training black belts.  That doesn't build respect in my mind. Age is not a factor, there is always something you can do.  I had reconstructive knee surgery and was told I would out of training or teaching for at least 3 months.  Right, I would have gone nuts, I was boxing the next week from a lawn chair.......I got hit alot though.  It's all in the passion.....so where's your passions, boys and girls.............Peace Out....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 12:42:53 PM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2005, 02:43:13 PM »
I have to echo what Sigung Bono is saying and add a few things. The original goal of Kajukenbo was to develop and art that was so effective the practicioner could destroy their opponent. All the spiirit, mind, and body influence was added afterward to move in line with the thinking of other martial arts at the time.

There is no way anyone will ever convince me that when these five guys got together in their early 20s following a war they were thinking about long term goals like becoming a Grandmaster, Professor, Sigung, Sifu or even worried that their art should help you become a better person. These guys wanted to put together an art that others feared. If you survived and got a black belt you were good. At that time a black belt was the top. Today, with 6 years old black belts running around, it no longer means what it's supposed to mean.

I believe setting a goal to achieve a black belt is a very good goal. I would start with wanting to achieve a purple belt. Then I would set my new goal to earn my blue belt and so forth. Goals are great. They can motivate you or help you realize you don't do the things you say you are going to do!

One thing I'd like to add is you do not need a martial art to teach you about being a good person. You need a martial art so that others cannot beat you down. I don't really care if I win every fight, I just want to make sure I survive. Every 8 year old knows what it takes to be a good person. We just need to pretend we are 8 years old!

Don't lie, cheat or steal
Treat others as you would want them to treat you
Look at people when you talk to them
Listen when others are talking to you
Hold your head up when you speak
Do what you say you're going to do
Clean up your room (Sorry, I had to throw that one in in case my kids read this!)

The first step was creating a fighting art. Afterward everything else was added. The prayer, belt ceremony, bowing to black belts, shaking the black belts' hand, etc.

Like Sigung Bono, I have a few sayings I like:
"You can't teach a rock to tap dance."
"I don't need to strike you in a pressure point, if I can bash your head in with a rock."
"Don't over think figthing---strike them really hard, take them down and beat them."

Mitch
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 02:45:18 PM by Mitch Powell »
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2005, 08:39:55 PM »
Some good sayings Professor Mitch......  "Everyone's got a plan,.....till they get punched in the mouth."........
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2005, 05:05:09 PM »
Boys that's the truth! A good example was the "Contender." Everyone of the fighters talked about how they were going to destroy the other guy. Then they got into the ring and everything changed! Pretty boy, Ahmed, was going to knock everybody out. He routinely commented about how none of those guys were in his league. He didn't win a fight! Not even when they brought his sorry asp back! As he was leaving the show he was still talking poop. That reminded me so much of those poop talkin' knuckleheads we take to jail. As they stand there getting processed they are still talking about all the poop they are going to do. I just laugh as they close the bars.

Mike Tyson was telling the manager of the fighter he just lost to, not to make anymore comments during the pre-fight interview because the manager was going to get his fighter hurt. Mike is now a big zero and would have a hard time fighting my mother-in-law. I'd actually put my money on her!

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2005, 09:26:39 PM »
How funny, how true
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2005, 12:32:43 AM »
So, as soon as I post the comment about not needing pressure points if I can bash your head in with a rock, Sigung MarK Gerry calls me and says, "What do you do if you don't have a rock?" I knew he was going to call the minute I posted that!