Author Topic: New Record for Black Belt Mills?  (Read 24837 times)

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
New Record for Black Belt Mills?
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:59:38 AM »
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005170400,00.html

"Alfie's a little belter

By JOHN COLES
KARATE kid Alfie Byrne delivers a knockout blow — after becoming a black belt at the age of SIX.

And the little belter is believed to be Britain’s youngest expert after a gruelling 90-minute exam.

Alfie was taught 'sport karate' — similar to kickboxing — by his dad Ed, an instructor at a club in Indian Queens, Cornwall.

Ed, 37, said: 'Ever since Alfie could walk he did punches and kicks and begged us to let him do karate.'

Terry Saxon, of the World United Martial Arts Federation, said: 'He could be a future champion.'"

Is it just me or are there *a lot* of things wrong with this?
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
Re: New Record for Black Belt Mills?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 11:11:09 AM »
I thought it was a joke.....is the kid a surgeon also
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline sifu_adam

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • Kajukenbo Alive in Colorado!
    • Loveland Martial Arts Academy
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 11:54:57 AM »
Grandmaster by the age of 10? I can't even put into words the awe I am in over this, how long does it take to earn black in this system 6 months?

I would like for all of us to guess at what the requirements are when a 6 years old can earn black .let me start and this might be a bit much
one form that has 4 moves (including a bow at the end)
2 kicks front, round
two blocks inside outside, (up and down are required for 2nd degree).
I think as a final exam you must be able to state all four ninja turtles and the weapons they use!

Sifu Adam
5th Degree Kajukenbo and Kodokan Judo,  also teaching Kickboxing and Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 02:51:30 PM »
We train about 3 hrs a night and I tell my students that have to train 150 times to be considered for the next belt, and 300 between brown and Black.  They have to be over 18 to get a black, though no one has done it....humm...maybe that's why I don't keep students through Black belt very often..  I heard for a second degree that kid has to tie his own belt......
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline KBOWARRIOR

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train strong to remain strong/keep the flame alive
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 03:09:51 PM »
And I wonder why most people don't respect a black belt anymore.  Used to it ment something, not much now.  I have guys laugh at me when I tell them that I have a second degree and it took me 20 years of training to get it. 
Sifu Mark Wallace
Harper Kajukenbo
Visalia, California
Emperado Revised System

Offline KBOWARRIOR

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train strong to remain strong/keep the flame alive
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 03:13:26 PM »
Prof. Harper is like most Kaju instructors out there, he doesn't have a bunch of black belts, but you can bet they earned them if they are wearing them.  I have been training with him for 16 years now and wouldn't even think about going anywhere else.  >:(
Sifu Mark Wallace
Harper Kajukenbo
Visalia, California
Emperado Revised System

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 03:40:47 PM »
That's why guys respect you and your teacher Mark.  Think about it...who do you want to be behind you if the stuff hits the fan??  Someone who has had a hard teacher that made them earn what rank they got.  I not sure a 6 yr old can bang in a pinch.  That used to be our old saying back when I started. If someone has a Black belt can they beat the average street thug in a fight....  Anyway I'll see you this weekend Mark...Peace
GM John E Bono DC

Offline kogastyle

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 06:55:05 PM »
Ugh....and I thought that I went to a bad belt factory when i started, but I guess I'm old and behind the curve since I recieved my TKD black belt at the age of 10 1/2.  Just being able to say that makes me ill and i'm glad I left to train at some good schools.  I won't name names because i don't believe in that, but that organization will give a black belt to pretty much anyone and it only takes about 1 year and 10 months :o.

I'm also very glad that I was able to train other places and get my rank recognized by a more credible and legitimate group.
Sam Warren - 3rd Degree under Grandmaster Walt Andrae

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 07:32:34 PM »
I'm glad you did also.  When your a kid it's hard to know good martial arts from bad...at least you figured it out and followed the path....
GM John E Bono DC

returning student

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 08:32:15 PM »
Kogastyle, I agree with you about getting sick training at a MCDOJO.I left Kajukenbo as a purple belt it took me 2.5 yrs to get it. My friends trained for 3 yrs and all of them got there
paper Black Belt. I stop MA for a while and started up with MCDOJO and paid for a Black belt.
 A year ago I came back to Kajukenbo. My Sifu said that I had to start all over again.I was not to  happy at frist but with all the hard work I just test for my orange belt. This time I will not let anything get in my way to reach my goal to be a KAJUKENBO BLACK BELT.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 08:35:43 PM »
It's the path that counts, maybe you just needed to be away for a while to realize where you needed to be....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Wayne Cook

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Hit first, Hit hard, go home.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 09:25:38 PM »
I remember a conversation I had with Prof. Harper when it came time to promote my own students for the first time. Prof. Harper told me " when you watch the student on the mat bangin it out and you cant fit them in the belt they are currently wearing any more, then they are ready to be promoted." This way of thinking didnt produce alot of promotions, but the ones that did happen were earned with blood,sweat and tears.

Wayne Cook
Second Degree
Harper Kajukenbo
Harper Kajukenbo

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 09:34:55 PM »
"Scars are Tattoos with better stories".........
GM John E Bono DC

Offline supertim2003

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • "That's going to leave a mark"
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 11:40:56 PM »
They must be messing with us, a 6 year old black belt what a joke!  I would put my 7 year old purple belt against him any day of the week and he has been training consistently for 3 years.  I would say we owe a big debt of gratitude to Prof. Emperado for Kajukenbo.
Tim Morrow 1st Degree Black Sash Kajukenbo Tum Pai

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 12:39:14 AM »
I have a purple belt that is testing for blue at the end of the month, who started on his 4th birthday and will be 13 next week.  So 10 yrs and can punch like a light heavyweight. He's 105 lbs, but still choked out cold three adults last week grappling.  He can box and kickbox with the adults (he has no fear), but still, he won't be black till 18 at least.  He'll be a tough 18 yr old though...
GM John E Bono DC