Author Topic: New Record for Black Belt Mills?  (Read 24885 times)

Offline kogastyle

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
Re: New Record for Black Belt Mills?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 09:27:59 AM »
The really bad part about all of it is that those child black belts are led to believe that they are outstanding, high-ranking martial artists.  Then, when they go to a tournament and lose to a green belt or a blue belt they lose self esteem and many of them leave the martial arts forever.

I guess that's what happens though in a society full of impatient people, gotta promote them or they get bored and leave, especially with children.  I know in my Kaju school after 1 1/2 years we had 2 people who made it to purple while the rest were either still yellow or orange.  Not many people stuck with it, but those who did really earned their ranks and in my opinion (and probably that of everyone else here) that's how it should be.
Sam Warren - 3rd Degree under Grandmaster Walt Andrae

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 11:25:23 AM »
I think we have the same people calling our schools.  I have had mom's calling about there kids that are 9 yrs old and are 3rd degree blacks and can't afford the 3 grand to move up.  Just crazy stuff.  I get the calls for how much are black belts.  Sometimes they brag that their kid got his belt in two yrs.  I tell them if they became a black belt in two years they couldn't have learn very much, maybe a yellow belt or purple in our system. One of my black belts has a little brother whose 9 and is in TKD and was there less then two yrs to black, he hates it, tells us it's boring and he doesn't learn anything.  he's working towards his second degree now.  The dad paid a three yr. contract so the kid is staying.  He loves our school and we sneak him down when we can.  He gets beat up by the white belts.  He hasn't learned any fighting skills at his school, I think it's called McDojo Kim's,  ;). He recognizes that his school is just a play ground and wants to learn, hopefully someday he will have the chance.  They play games and the instructors never fix bad technique.... that stuff drives me nuts...... Of course the teacher probably has a new Rolls...but what can ya due...The worst part for me is the confidence some get from the belt rank, and then if a real fight happens and they get badly beaten, they quit the arts forever, disillusioned.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 11:28:53 AM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 12:56:58 PM »
One picture's worth a 1000 words ;)

John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 01:15:19 PM »
I laughed out loud at that..............Instructors need to...see below....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 12:23:58 PM »

;D ;D 
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 03:41:36 PM »

Hahahaha, hey there will be no discussion of Red Dragon Karate on here, hahahahahahaha
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

returning student

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 11:49:23 PM »
HEY C drake, whats wrong with Red DRAGON kARATE ? I TRAINED  FOR 2 YRS.IN IT.I ALSO TRAINED IN TAE KWON DO, AND HAPKIDO AND EP KENPO.KAJUKENBO GIVES ME THE FELLING OF CONFIDENCE THAT THESE ARTS DON`T. 8)THERE ARE A FEW SCHOOL OUT THERE THAT MAKE YOU EARN YOUR BELT.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2005, 05:25:20 PM »
A long story that I am not going to get into with anyone that I don't know.  zEspecially on a public forum.  Who were you under in RDK?
Cassidy Drake

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005, 08:20:52 PM »
Let alone a school owner,or used to be. His brother is the head of the organization now, that their dad has basically retired.  I believe Chris still runs a school in Covina, I haven't kept up with any of it in over four years now.
Cassidy Drake

returning student

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2005, 11:34:55 PM »
I was under Sensei Scott Lackey for awhile. He ran the southhills RDK in the mid 80`s.Then one day
he closed his dojo.Chris Casamassa finish my Blue belt contact.And then I learned about KAJUKENBO
and started to train under Sigung Jose Limon in West Covina till 1989 it was about the time David
Fong was killed. :'(

returning student

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2005, 11:51:57 PM »
Sigung John, I have some friends that still train from time to time.And had said something like that site said.I sometimes wonder what it would be like to train at your Dojo.I`m very happy with my Sifu.and our Upland school.Thank you for the info. mike

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005, 05:18:31 PM »
Check this one out.  Some of them look so young their mothers probably tie their belts for them before class.

http://www.usaselfdefensecenters.com/jrblackbelts.html
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2005, 05:35:04 PM »
That is the most I have ever seen for one school.
Cassidy Drake

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2005, 06:15:34 PM »
That website is unbelievable.....Please somebody just choke me out if you ever see me start to do that.....
GM John E Bono DC