Author Topic: Does anyone use shin guards?  (Read 27099 times)

Offline DProsser

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Psalm 144:1
Does anyone use shin guards?
« on: April 29, 2005, 08:24:03 AM »
Just a quick question.  I am finding that I keep getting bruised on my shins from blocks when I spar.  I am not sure about getting shin guards/protectors or just suck it up.

Any thoughts or advise?

Deb
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 08:25:56 AM by DProsser »
Deb Prosser
GM Bobby Rimando, Instr.
SGM Alex Rimando
Rimando Martial Arts, Las Vegas, Nv

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Does anyone use shin guards?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 08:34:13 AM »
I just suck it up, you won't have shin protectors in a street confrentation.  But to each their own.  What ever makes you comfortable.
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 08:46:14 AM »
We don't use guards except for drills where you would be blocking heavy Thai kicks, but when you get a shin bruise you can really slow your training down if the swelling is significant.  I would go on and off with them if your a beginner and work on that conditioning.  Use the Pro style Thai shin pads, not the foam dip...that stuff is not much for real life protection. Kick a Thai bag or someones leg...good times...
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:07:30 AM »
The only time I used shin pads was when I fought Olympic TKD in the Georgia Games and it was mandatory.  I find they a) don't help and b) make me aware of something being "different" and affecting my mobility.  Certainly more trouble than they're worth, unless as Sigung Bono mentioned, you're dealing with severe Thai kicks.  For those I will do just about anything to put something between them and my shins... ouch! :)
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 10:58:38 AM »
I use them often. After having bone chips moving around I thought it be best.

I use to have that suck em' up mentality, but why? They make shin guards for that reason.

To the comment well we don't wear them in the streets. It's like why where a cup? I don't where one in the streets. Well, you better where one in class!

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 11:03:43 AM »
90% of the time I don't wear a cup in class.   Feel the effect to know how to establish and inflect the pain of your effect.
Cassidy Drake

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 11:36:50 AM »
I'm of split mind when it comes to cups... I have family aspirations, so permanent injury is to be avoided at all costs, but at the same time as Kajuoshodan mentioned, it's not 'street-realistic.'  At the same time, as I mentioned with shin guards, wearing one makes me aware of my vulnerability there, and gives some encouragement to defense.  Usually it boils down to my mood that day whether I wear one or not on striking days.  I never wear one grappling - hangover from judo training, since they're not allowed in tournament judo. 

Offline supertim2003

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • "That's going to leave a mark"
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 12:07:56 PM »
Cups ABSOLUTELY, shin guards not as much.  If you walked on our mats without a cup, well I can't even imagine why you wouldn't.  The groin is a primary target for a reason and the ability to be able to hit it while training is crucial to street defense.  I am not sure how you guys train at your school C Drake, but usually when we practice a set of counters we do them over and over again, which means repeatedly getting hit or kick quite vigorously to the groin.  Most people just don't tough that out.  The shin guards I have used maybe two or three times, for the most part they are a lot of trouble, but like Sigung Bono said they are a savior to protect an injury to that region and I like anything that allows me to continue training.  (P.S.  If you do have aspirations for becoming a father do yourself a favor, where a cup!!!)
Tim Morrow 1st Degree Black Sash Kajukenbo Tum Pai

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 12:14:34 PM »
That is why I said I don't wear them all the time, especially if I am going to be thrown or taken down on my face in a agressive manner.   The impact of the floor and cup is worse for me.   I come from a very good school, so please don't go that route.  I am in lingo right now as there is no Kaju school where I am at in Japan.  My point being I wear as little protective gear as possible, and I will keep it that way for my own purposes.
Cassidy Drake

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 02:07:23 PM »
CDrake:

I understand the shin guard thing. The cup?!?!?! You must not have NEVER been truly kicked there. You mentioned you trained w/Sifu Cox for one year.

Do you have any other Kajukenbo experience?
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 02:22:33 PM »
*sigh* look I have been truelly kicked in the nuts, and I have gone down as well.   I was with Red Dragon Karate and Chuck Norris organization before that.  As I said, it depends on the day, and NO I do not where a cup very often.  As I stated if I am going to be thrown around or especially on my front side, I would rather take swats in my groin than to land on a cup full force in my groin area.
Cassidy Drake

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 02:26:19 PM »
Coming from judo, I'd definately rather avoid having anything hard and plastic in 'strategic' areas when there's throws/takedowns involved.  They just create a hard surface to compress against, which is never a good thing.  This is definately in stark contrast to a strike, counter-intuitive as it may seem.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 02:28:22 PM »
Exactly my point.
Cassidy Drake

Offline DProsser

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Psalm 144:1
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 02:48:44 PM »
Thanks for your comments,  I will get both an see what feels right for me.

Deb

Deb Prosser
GM Bobby Rimando, Instr.
SGM Alex Rimando
Rimando Martial Arts, Las Vegas, Nv

juribe

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 02:55:32 PM »
I use to have that suck em' up mentality, but why? They make shin guards for that reason.

This is the exact line of reasoning I had when I chose to have an epidural during labor! Why be in pain if you don't have to be! ;)

I rarely wear shin guards in class. Once or twice I've had the "severe swelling" mentioned here, it actually makes it hard to run. But I also have lots of "dead" or "numb" areas on my shins, I believe as the result of never wearing shin guards while playing 10+ years of competitive soccer. In the 70s and 80s, shin guards were not required in league and H.S. play as they are today.

I get lots of bruises everywhere and though they're not too pretty, they don't concern me much. Moving bone chips are another story--that would concern me.