Author Topic: Does anyone use shin guards?  (Read 27094 times)

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Does anyone use shin guards?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 03:17:40 PM »
Look, I am not going to try and explain it again, now if you think I have trained in a soft way, go ahead and train with Sifu Lawson, Sifu James Cox or Sigung peralta as it all comes from the same lineage.  I told you when I wear one and when I don't.  No reason to re-type what I have already stated.
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 03:29:03 PM »
no pm
Cassidy Drake

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 04:19:19 PM »
NO one is questioning Sifu Cox or GM Peralta. You trained for ONE year with Sifu Cox. Which means you are VERY young in the art. You have plenty that you have not SEEN or FELT yet.

One of the many great things Kajukenbo is known for is its GROIN shots. We beat the hell out of you while standing than you drop from the strikes. We have some throws but none that would require you not to wear a CUP!
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 04:36:56 PM »
Don't give me the one year rookie stuff.  If i am so new to the arts ask them.  I spent 8 years with Red Dragon and Chun Kuk Do.  I alos competed inn wrestling in high school and college.  I don't need tobe told how it is to be kicked in the nuts.  A hard kick in the nuts does not say oh that is a tkd kick or a shotokan kick or a JKD kick.  A kick to the nuts is a kick to the nuts.

So now you want to tell me that a a O soto gari, or a minor outer reaping throw or a major outer reaping throw requires a cup?  Those are judo throws and they do not rquire the wear of on, and in comps they are not aloud for a reason, injury that can happen from the direct fall on a cup, and neither one of throws should have the opponent land on their stomach.  If they do, then the person performing it needs to relearn the throw.

I have felt plenty in the battle field as well with two tours in Iraq, and Afghanistan, and one in Haiti.  Life or death, and gee whiz there was not a cup available in Baghdad or Mosul, when hand to hand had to be used.  Now quit thinking i am some ignorant newbie, and realize that not all of us beleive in numerous items of protection gear for normal training, unless the training that day is going to warrant it.
Cassidy Drake

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 04:45:21 PM »
I am not even going to try getting through to you Todd. ::)
Cassidy Drake

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2005, 04:51:58 PM »
Not the way I would explain it, but sure whatever works for you.
Cassidy Drake

Offline supertim2003

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • "That's going to leave a mark"
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 04:59:18 PM »
That is why I said I don't wear them all the time, especially if I am going to be thrown or taken down on my face in a agressive manner.   The impact of the floor and cup is worse for me.   I come from a very good school, so please don't go that route.  I am in lingo right now as there is no Kaju school where I am at in Japan.  My point being I wear as little protective gear as possible, and I will keep it that way for my own purposes.

Look Drake, I certainly did not intend to disrespect your martial arts.  All I was saying is that we will repeat the same trick sometimes 10 or 20 times in a training session and if that technique included a kick or hit to the groin it would be a long day (and unnecessarily painful without a cup).  We do takedowns and throws almost daily, but we also go to the groin daily, pick your poison I guess.  I not hammering you on this I hope your training continues to go well.
Tim Morrow 1st Degree Black Sash Kajukenbo Tum Pai

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 05:02:45 PM »
That is why I said I don't wear them all the time, especially if I am going to be thrown or taken down on my face in a agressive manner.   The impact of the floor and cup is worse for me.   I come from a very good school, so please don't go that route.  I am in lingo right now as there is no Kaju school where I am at in Japan.  My point being I wear as little protective gear as possible, and I will keep it that way for my own purposes.

Look Drake, I certainly did not intend to disrespect your martial arts.  All I was saying is that we will repeat the same trick sometimes 10 or 20 times in a training session and if that technique included a kick or hit to the groin it would be a long day (and unnecessarily painful without a cup).  We do takedowns and throws almost daily, but we also go to the groin daily, pick your poison I guess.  I not hammering you on this I hope your training continues to go well.

Cool, and on those days, I would wear one.
Cassidy Drake

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 05:05:58 PM »
 Please remember the majority of us in here are KAJUKENBO so when we are talking about training or just about anything its all about Kajukenbo.

I don't know what people where or don't wear in Judo, Red Dragon, Chun Kuk Do or any other style and with all due respect I don't care cause I am a Kajukenboist.

We are discussing your Kajukenbo experience not your life experiences.

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 05:08:50 PM »
Sorry, but with all due respect that is plain ignorant.  DO you not train for real life situations?  That is what Iraq was.  Maybe you could expose yourself to other arts, it never hurts. 

SO since I have only  been in Kaju a year or two my opinion doesn't matter and I am a nobody, that is what you are saying correct? 

Mental note to self, train with those I have alread spoke with privately.  No need to go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 05:12:42 PM by C Drake »
Cassidy Drake

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 05:17:08 PM »
C DRAKE:

Oppinion are just what they are, everyone has them. Sometimes we agree sometimes we don't.

Sometimes we agree to disagree. I think this is one of those times.   :D

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2005, 05:19:33 PM »
SO like I said,,,,,,,,, ah nevermind
Cassidy Drake

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2005, 05:23:40 PM »
No need to be upset. Please keep talking your very intersting.  :D
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2005, 05:25:52 PM »
That's all right I am done with this thread. ;)
Cassidy Drake

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2005, 05:44:47 PM »
Thanks for making it an interesting afternoon. :D

Have a great weekend. 8)

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas