Author Topic: Does anyone use shin guards?  (Read 26894 times)

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
Re: Does anyone use shin guards?
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2005, 11:55:45 AM »
Only during sparring. This is the only body I will have in this earthy life, I'm not going to abuse it that much. In a street confrontation, oh well, I'll get over it. I'm sure I'll have more than just a few bruises on my shins.
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Offline Seejay

• White Belt
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2005, 02:23:11 PM »
We use shin guards for sparring and the very first time I sparred I learned why.  Two years later and my best friend still bears a scar on her shin from the collision of our first sparing match  :-\
Heather Jacobs
Blue Belt
Tony Ramos Kajukenbo
Instructor: Sigung David Amiccuci

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2005, 08:09:45 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:06:16 PM by badsifu »
Dan Tyrrell

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2005, 08:47:40 PM »
I wear a cup and a mouth piece every day I train, in case I my need those parts for something later on, say eating or whatever....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2005, 10:43:45 PM »
haha
Dan Tyrrell

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2005, 12:40:32 AM »
Funny like a clown.....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline sifutimg

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Iron sharpens iron-so another man sharpens another
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2005, 12:59:50 PM »
I agree with both sides about wearing protection.  One needs to be careful not creating a false since of security that protection can create.  As Sigung Dan eluded when you're out and about you're not usually wearing protection.  If you’re used to some sort of protection and under the stress of combat, you’re going to fight like you train and if your used to having something (shin, cup, mouth piece, whatever) and you haven't trained to move or block that particular area because you have relied on protection then your going to have a rude awakening when your body registers that attack.  However training requires longevity so it's up to us instructors to create an environment wear the student remains in the highest state of health and well being to come back the next class to do it again.  In Kajukenbo we all know our bodies take a lot of abuse and it's up to us as instructors to help maintain that health and well being or at least that is my opinion and realize it may not be shared by all.  Shin guards, yes sometimes as Sigung Bono said to help balance the abuse.  There are also conditioning methods for the shins (and for that matter arms, knuckles, etc.) to help harden them while keeping that area healthy with proper blood flow and energetics.  I personally don't wear shin guards anymore but I was blessed with an instructor who helped me train them to harden and heal.  I do wear a cup for those days we drill and experience many strikes to that area.  I know a few gentlemen who have incurred severe damage to their groin area because they didn't wear a cup and didn't tell anyone.  I had a student who blocked with his shin and had to be operated on later on because that blow to the shin manifested into a clot.  There were days where we didn't wear protection and came to class in regular street clothes so you got the chance to feel no protection and the tightness regular clothing may have depending on how you normally dress.  I practice Qigong with my students as our striking techniques, drills, and methods can be damaging energetically as well as physically.  So it's all a balance and for me I use whatever I can to maintain the health and longevity of my students so that they can come back the next day to train.  We do however have our allotment of injuries during training.  I myself am healing from a broken optical bone (that's why I didn't come down to Sijo's event).  So sh%t happens definitely and we just need to pay attention to how we can preserve the body, live a long life, and kick asp when we need to.  Just my perspective.

Hope everyone is well,
Sigung Tim Gagnier
Grandmaster Tim Gagnier
Student of Great Grandmaster Charles Gaylord & Grandmaster Sid Lopez
Chief Instructor Pacific Wind Kajukenbo
Student Forever
Yamhill, Oregon

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2005, 01:43:07 PM »
I agree Sigung Tim, we don't wear shin guards at my school either, but of course those shins have been banged up bad over the years.  Last year one of my black belts was doing a kicking drill with an instructor from another school and the other instructor received a compound fracture of the fibula and tibia when my student blocked his kick.  Of course the shin pad may or may not have helped, but the sound would have been at least muffled a little.....Kaju........
GM John E Bono DC

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
Re: Does anyone use shin guards? Breast guards?
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2005, 12:20:40 AM »
I know this is a little off the subject but it's still guard material...

Do most women use breast protectors/guards when sparring?  (not the chest gear)  If I spar with nothing else, I always spar with breast protectors.  Although I'm more likely to get punched in the stomach or sternum...should I fail to block  :-\, I've been punched once or twice in the breasts and it's pretty painful, but I wonder more if somehow it couldn't, during the long run without protection, lead to cysts or even cancer...just some thoughts.

cyas,
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2005, 12:30:54 AM »
One gal at my school does on boxing night...she likes them and they hurt others hands who miss and hit them
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2005, 02:50:40 AM »
One girl I trained with uses boob guards for sparring, although I can't blame her as getting poked in the nipple
with a knife is no fun.    I think they're just conical cup.  I even used boob cups in a fencing class in college,
though I don't have "man boobs".
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2005, 12:57:22 PM »
Are you sure Gints??
GM John E Bono DC

Offline kogastyle

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2005, 04:39:04 PM »
Are you sure Gints??

Low blow, Sigung.  I hope Gints was wearing his cup for that one. ;D
Sam Warren - 3rd Degree under Grandmaster Walt Andrae

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2005, 04:51:58 PM »
Don't worry I'll give him a cup check slash manboob check tomorrow..........
GM John E Bono DC