Author Topic: BLACKOUTS  (Read 10462 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
BLACKOUTS
« on: May 06, 2005, 04:39:32 PM »
Have you ever experienced a BLACK OUT during sparring, random fighting (bull ring) or LIVE street fight?

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline HARDWORK

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • any thing worth having,is worth working for!
Re: BLACKOUTS
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 05:06:19 PM »
kajushodan,hi ya, do you mean black out like hyperventilate or black out like so amped you don't recall what you did or what happened,Rob
Sifu Rob Harris 3rd degree -Reyes Kenpo

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 06:46:49 PM »
Rob:

The one when your so amped and you can't reall.

Right on for clearing that up.
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline supertim2003

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • "That's going to leave a mark"
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 06:58:04 AM »
I have never blacked out, I am not sure I have even really been close that other than exhaustion after sparring for a long period of time.  Is this a frequent occurrence in your school or have you heard of others that it has happened to.  My understanding and this is something I work almost exclusively on when I spar is completely relaxing and breathing especially when sparring with a significantly more experienced partner.  I think most people kind of forget to breath when they spar they are concentrating so much on trying a new technique or avoiding being hit that they tense up and don't breath properly.  One thing I have seen as the major difference between the young bucks and the more mature of us (myself included) is the black belts who have been sparring for 10 plus years know how to relax and the just don't run out of gas as quickly as someone who amps up.
Tim Morrow 1st Degree Black Sash Kajukenbo Tum Pai

Offline HARDWORK

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • any thing worth having,is worth working for!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:25:41 AM »
sparring at the dojo I can relax and go on forever,but at a tournament I get tunnel vision real bad,I have someone tape it so I can see what happened. and man it is over so fast,it's like you woke up -hey who won !   Rob
Sifu Rob Harris 3rd degree -Reyes Kenpo

Offline kadena

• White Belt
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 03:48:29 PM »
The closest I've come to being unaware of what's happening during stressful sparring matches is something called "empty mind" (at least I think that's the term). My left fist is the culprit. It'll continuously punch my opponent out of my line of vision when we're in a clinch without my being aware of it. I become aware of it when the instructor calls a halt to the match, I look down at what my arm's doing, then I have to consciously tell it to stop. It was a very weird feeling the first time that occurred.
Janette, green belt, Gaylord Method, Seven Star Women's Kung Fu

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 12:31:05 PM »
Supertim2003 yes, I have heard of it frequently. I have seen it a few times in my school as well as many boxing matches.

I have seen fighters during the match or during techs there face changes and all heck breaks loose. It's a WILD type look like no other. :o

In fact the person that is fighting becomes another person and instinct takes over. Some have refered to it as a disorder and I have heard it called the "killer instinct".

A button goes off in that persons head and after the match they are fine again. However, during they know nothing other than to destroy and defend themselves against whoever and whatever is present. Most of the time these are the nicest people you would ever want to know. 

If they exist in your school what I find that helps is making eye contact with them when it happens and reasure them that everything is okay and almost immediately the nice person returns again. ;)

Exhaustion is another ordeal but it doesn't trigger the black out.

Rob exactly. Thank goodness for camcorders. :D

Kadena yes it can be very scary the first time. The feeling of no way that wasn't me and you swear by it, but the look on other people faces tells another story. ;)

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 02:27:28 PM »
  Many times when you spar, fight or grapple you can get in the Zone as we say and perform as you were trained to do without knowing it.  Think of it as when your driving home and thinking about something else and then you realize your pulling in your driveway. This type of black out is just fine.  I have had a great many fights and sparring sessions where after I realize I have a bump or bruise and I'm not sure where it came from.  I haven't seen this except with the very experience students (at least experienced with some type of sparring). Killer Instinct is an entirely different animal, not a disorder.  I have trained on this quite a bit.  This is the ability to sense injury or lack of will/heart in an opponent and go for the finish.  It's a rare trait naturally, though some have it.  It is also very hard to train, I have only seen a few with it, in all these years.  The change of attitude during a fight is something a good instructor has to take care of right away in a student.  The eye contact never worked for me, because they need to be told exactly what they are doing.  Talking to them during or stopping them and then talking has always worked.  Most students don't realize what they are doing when this happens.  Like a child that picks his nose without knowing or a chain smoker that lights up without the knowledge of it.  The instance of the hand continuing to strike, I have never seen before.  Though there is a medical term hemibalism, but I would doubt that would be it when fighting.  A cool collected fighter is the best fighter. It takes alot of work to get there, but it's worth it.  I tell my students it you hit an opponent in a fight and they calmly just reset without a reaction, watch out...this is a very experienced fighter..who has been there done that

Hemibalism is a group
of behaviors characterized by sudden, vehement, uncontrollable
movements of proximal limbs.

GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 06:50:15 PM »
Zone yes, or how about this one auto pilot.

The mind does this on its own. It usually does this as a defense. At least that is what my therapist says it is, I mean student. ;)

I agree, killer instinct by no means is a disorder. IMHO its something that I would say you are born with some have it and some don't. For some it comes naturally others have it but need help in bringing it out.   

I apologize the eye contact is only partial it must be accompanied by verbal communications. I must have blacked out-lol ;)
Thank you Sigung for the correction.

I just want to be the fighter that lives to train and talk about it another day. :D

Sigung can you elaborate a little more on your research regarding "killer instinct"? Thank you in advance.

Soifua,
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 06:55:40 PM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 08:07:58 PM »
That's funny you blacked out during writing that post.. Auto pilot is right.  I do it more to relax and enjoy the game that is the fight.  Killer Instinct;
You have to train to be totally relaxed during the fight and have sudden bursts and then calm right down.  You can't be thrown off by others techniques.  Have your plan and work your plan.  You must go from zero to 100 in a tenth of a second and back to zero.  Some cars like an 427 AC Cobra are Killer instinct cars, 0-100-0 in 12 seconds, built to kill then stop.  This is the same idea, I could show you some drills....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 05:19:48 AM »
What type of drills?

I would give my interpratations, but I don't really know hoe to word it :o
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 10:46:12 AM »
I actually meant in person, they are hard to describe..
GM John E Bono DC

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 10:51:11 AM »
Oh, I see alright thanks ;D
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

Offline maria alovert

• White Belt
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 03:31:23 AM »
I've had a self-defense type incident or two where the 'blackout' happened. I think that's happened more than once but the most memorable was this:

I was sleeping on the street in a city in Mexico with a group of traveling friends, in a situation where things had gone desparetely wrong for us (hence the sleeping on the street) We kept getting 'scoped' by other homeless people all night. We tried to take turns staying awake to keep from getting robbed but had been doing that for several days and it was getting more and more difficult to maintain shifts.

Around dawn, I woke up to what I first thought was my travel partner getting up and putting his backpack on. A moment later I realized that it was actually a homeless drug addict, who was standing up above us, with my friend's backpack in his hands in front of him.

I had at the time not trained in self-defense. Somehow, because I was REALLY not awake yet, my mind went on autopilot and I rolled out of my blanket, jumped up, and kicked the backpack extremely hard (at the crackhead's chest level), knocking it out of his hands and basically scaring him off (not to mention waking up my larger male friends) . Only then did my ability to speak come back as I fully woke up, was shocked that I'd just done that without realizing it, and the whole incident turned into a shouting match as the guy backed away and left us alone.

I've had self-defense incidents along these lines before (I was kind of a street kid for a while in my early 20's), where violence happened all on it's own and surprised my brain moments later. It was generally successful?

Maria

Maria Alovert
student under Sifu Jason Goldsmith, WHKD, Chapel Hill NC

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 10:38:29 AM »
That's not Killer Instinct, but what you have is a great instinct to survive, which is a gift to have....
GM John E Bono DC