Author Topic: BLACKOUTS  (Read 10355 times)

Offline East Coast Kempo

• White Belt
Re: BLACKOUTS
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 02:05:30 PM »
Sigung Bono,
         By "Killer Instinct," do you mean attacking an already injured area without prior knowledge of the injury? Kind of like getting a gut feeling it's there, or that the particular area is vunerable? You have a very interested reader, please, more detail.

-Matt
Matt Cordella, Probationary Shodan
Under the instruction of Sensei Mike Savino
White Tiger Kempo

Always learning...
"No matter what anyone tells you, eating pretzels before your black belt test WILL NOT HELP YOU!"- Life lesson learned the hard way  :-P

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 02:14:47 PM »
No Killer Instinct is the (usually in born) ability to sense injury or weakness in an opponent and use that to your advantage to finish the fight with a devastating attack.  That's an explanation in the simplistic form I can think of at the moment, hope that makes sense..
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline East Coast Kempo

• White Belt
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 02:31:35 PM »
Actually, reading back through the posts, I think I have experienced this "Killer Instinct"

One sparring night, we had all been going for a few rounds, and my Sensei decided he wanted to see us do some 2 vs. 1s. Being that my school was comparatively recently opened, I am the highest rank promoted by my Sensei from white belt in the school. Also, I'm training for my black belt test, so I think its a pretty good thing for me to get comfortable with two man attacker situations.

So I get paired up against these two guys who are a bit bigger than me, by the names of Mike and Alex, whom I can't really out-muscle. My usual sparring strategy is pretty evasive, avoid and evade until I find an opening, and then extort. So I get bouncing, my back to the wall, and they rush at me. I get this impusle to bypass Mike, and head off Alex right off the bat, and I knew right from the begining exactly where I wanted to hit him. Idk why, but I knew I should hit him on the left side of his chest. I slip his punch and shoot mine in fast, but not necessarily hard. Alex hits the floor and I deal with Mike. I knew that same strike wouldn't work on him. So me and Mike are going at it, and Alex gets back up and rushes me. I hit the same place and he goes down the same way. After this cycle had repeated itself once more, I decided for the sake of *science* to try the strike on Mike. Nope, no effect. I kind of knew there wouldn't be.

I'm just basically throwing this out as a possible case of this "Killer Instict." I really don't know what it was, I've only done it a few other times, and I'm sure there are more qualified people to speak on the matter. After all, I'm just a high school aged Kaju-junkie  ;D.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I didn't have any remarkable prowess at Kempo when I first started. I had to learn slowly, and I practiced alot and became the dojo-rat. This is really the only fighting related instinct I can think of that wasn't ingrained into my head by my instructors. Killer Instinct  ???, beats me. Useful during that sparring match, you-betcha.
Matt Cordella, Probationary Shodan
Under the instruction of Sensei Mike Savino
White Tiger Kempo

Always learning...
"No matter what anyone tells you, eating pretzels before your black belt test WILL NOT HELP YOU!"- Life lesson learned the hard way  :-P

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 03:11:26 PM »
That's good instinct but Killer Instinct is going in for the kill till the other person is done and no longer in the fight.  Like a lion attacking their prey....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 05:54:17 PM »
That's good instinct but Killer Instinct is going in for the kill till the other person is done and no longer in the fight.  Like a lion attacking their prey....

I sometimes equate killer instinct with knowing when someone is vulnerable and at that very moment the instinct kicks in to finish them off.

People with a good sense of "killer instinct" seldom miss opportunities.

Many times I have been sparring and I get a good shot in, I am sometimes surprised when I see the opponent's face turn all white with all the blood pressure leaving their head and their eyes glaze over in a daze. I know I've got them. Most of the time, maybe 9 out of 10 times, I'm distancing myself by that point, out of harms way. Maybe 1 out of 10 times my instincts tell me to end it, then comes the combos and the opponent has NO DEFENSE because they are open and vulnerable.

So I have a sort of part time killer instinct, works maybe 1 out of 10 times. Those with an accute killer instinct might catch that vulnerability to finish off the opponent 9 or 10 out of 10 times... ending the fight quickly. No missed opportunities.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 06:25:11 PM »
I've never seen the part time K.I., usually it's like a tattoo, once you have it it's there and takes alot to remove..
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 06:54:47 PM »
I've never seen the part time K.I., usually it's like a tattoo, once you have it it's there and takes alot to remove..

I must have a rub on tattoo   :'(  Comes off with warm water and soap  :o

Yeah, I see your point, I really don't know how it could be there some of the time. I just did not know how to quantify that there are different degrees of killer instinct, the instinct being there but much stronger in some than others.

For those with a strong instinct, it can be a mental task to make a conscious decision not to go in for the kill.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 07:24:39 PM »
The rub on ones look cool too,  I agree with that last statement, I think it could be a burden in certain instances..well so can a tattoo in the wrong circumstance ......like the first time your mom see's yours, or maybe ,,,,,,we'll let's just leave it at that....
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 07:26:14 PM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC