Author Topic: LIES, LIES and more LIES  (Read 10328 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
LIES, LIES and more LIES
« on: May 06, 2005, 05:01:21 PM »
GUESS WHAT-WE are all genetically programed to lie.

Proven studies show that most people lie at least once or twice per day and over a course of a week we deceive 30% of those whom we interact.

So why do we do it?

Maybe to protect our ego or are we avoiding the truth? hmm..........

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
Re: LIES, LIES and more LIES
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 12:51:28 AM »
Saying we are "genetically programmed to lie removes the responsiblity of the individuals wrong doing. We are not predisposed to lying it is just that from the very moment we understand the language we hear people lie on a rgular basis. Usually it is our parents first, they call in sick to work and then go to the park. They lie to the government about how much money they make and then brag to their friends about how much they cheated the government out of. I could go on ad finim but I know you can think of hundreds of ways people lie every day. It is so common place that people expect it. Every individual makes a choice to lie or not just like any other wrong they perpetrate on a daily basis.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline GForbach

• Gary Forbach
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 08:28:13 AM »
Well said my brother!  ;D
GM Forbach

Gary Forbach, 9th Degree Original Method Kajukenbo under GM Aleju Reyes and Sijo A.D. Emperado

Offline supertim2003

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • "That's going to leave a mark"
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 06:50:13 AM »
Do they really think everybody lies that much?  I know I do from time to time and maybe I am just lying to myself (pardon the pun), but I find it hard to believe that we as a society lie that often.  Maybe used car salesmen bring the average up, just kidding and no offense to car salesmen, that is a staggering statistic though.
Tim Morrow 1st Degree Black Sash Kajukenbo Tum Pai

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 07:47:31 PM »
I would like to know how they actually conduct this study.  It is probably true if you throw in every little deception out there.  For instance, how are you?  Oh, I'm fine.  Or what's going on?  Oh, nothing.  You know what I mean?  I was in the DMV the other day they asked the lady in front of me her weight and she said 145 on a good day.  There was no way this lady was under 190.  Come to think of it I lied on my height and weight.  I am 5' 11 1/2" and 225 lbs.  My new licsense says 6'  and 205 lb.  So ok, I believe the survey. ::)
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 08:48:43 PM »
Are you directing your comment towards women or martial artists?  Or are you just having a bad day?
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 02:03:52 PM »
Sifu Rob - I agree the study still does not make any excuse to lie in the first place.

Guarded, I think you are correct. It's everything from the weight at DMV to the I'm fine and in reality your not. ;)

Supertim2003 I agree weird isn't it. It was one of many studies I saw and thought it would make for interesting conversation.

Mell nope I'm not directing it towards anyone, just posting.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 02:32:54 PM »
That may be the truth.  think about it, how many people have you caught lying to you before???  I make a conscious to always tell the truth.  Why isn't it unconscious...humm.....oh yeh and I'm 5'11" 249 lbs give or take a few.....Maybe our best friends are the ones that don't lie to us....what ya think?
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

juribe

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 12:24:53 PM »
GUESS WHAT-WE are all genetically programed to lie.

I agree with Sifu Sin Bin: Are we genetically programmed, or is it learned behavior? Think about it: toddlers and small children almost always tell the truth--they don't know any better. Little kids always say the things you don't want to hear. A kindergardner at my son's school recently told me: "You look weird." Ouch.

Or the classic, while in line at the grocery store: "Why is that man/lady so fat/ugly/insert-terrible-adjective-here?"

They learn quick, though, to tell a fib, especially when it comes to self preservation. My 3-year old: "No, mommy, I wasn't kicking the cat," after she just kicked the cat right in front of me.

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 12:29:45 PM »
If anything, we are genetically programmed to survive; thus to echo J. Uribe's point, it's all about self-preservation.

Of course, today, survival isn't too difficult, so lies often become a mechanism for advancement, either financially, socially, what have you. 
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:52:25 AM »
That is weird huh?
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Mark Dinkel

• Blue Belt
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:55:25 AM »
Statistical studies can be drafted to provide the results necessary to support any argument you want. It is often a matter of population selection, wording of questions, tallying of results, and wording of results. In my opinion, one should never be swayed by statistical studies even those you perform yourself.

On another note, perhaps there is so much lying because we set each other up for it. When you say, Hi, how are you, do you really want to hear the answer. Usually no, you are attempting to be what is deemed to be a socially acceptable behavior. The person then responds ok or Im Fine, purely because it also is a socially acceptable response. If you are not concerned with how a person is, and you do not want to be lied to then why not stop at Hi or Hello, why pose how are you.

Like asking the daughter, did you kick the cat, when you just saw it happen. Do you expect a yes I kicked the cat? Perhaps a better question to pose would be, why did you just kick the cat.

But that is just my opinion.
Student black belt
Sifu GM Vince Black
Orange belt
Instructor Sensei Tobias

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 12:00:27 PM »
Chris Rock:

I think it went Men tell the biggest lies, women tell the most lies.

A man's lie "I was at Bob's House."

A woman lives a lie.  She wears high heels, you aren't that tall.  She wears all that makeup, your face don't look like that!  She wears a pushup bra, your **** ain't that big!

A lot of truth to that I guess.
Dan Tyrrell

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 02:14:39 PM »
Now that's funny!!
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Stan Kristovich

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Stan Kristovich
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 02:32:15 AM »
I NEVER lie.

But then, maybe I'm lying . . .

So what?  Some lies help us get along with others, some protect us from truths we can't face and don't need to . . . others are harmful and destructive.  What kind of lie do you mean?  Telling your mom she's ugly will help nothing, even if she IS ugly.  She will just remind you that all her friends say you look just like her.

All speech is communication.  What's the point of the communication?  Just as bad as chronic liers are the people who will launch verbal vollies of rhetorical high-explosives for no apparent reason, then justify it by saying "I was only telling the truth . . ."

Regards,
Stan K
Aloha,
Stan Kristovich
(a Black Belt instructor [and currently on extended sabattical] in North Las Vegas, Nevada
Formerly of Stevenson Kenpo-Karate, Mililani, HI