Author Topic: Your VERY first time  (Read 15694 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Your VERY first time
« on: May 12, 2005, 05:23:27 PM »
Good Afternoon Everyone:

Do your remember? ??? Some of you have to think further back than others so take your time. ;)

I remember my first time. ;) I was scared and sick for the whole week prior. I recall my stances being horrilbe-too high, go lower (still working on that too), I couldn't remember my left from my right. Than the unimagineable I couldn't remember my Sifu's name? :o

The cameras were going people were staring and a party of nine just turned into 1 - me. I remember it was hot it was our California Indian summer. I don't remember much but I do remember the feeling inside. I was scared and but yet overjoyed.

I'm recalling this moment because NOW we are preparing for our very FIRST belt promotion for our students. I like to say its my first batch of cookies some have nuts and others have other flavors that are just as good but in time will be even better. :D

My dad said, Serene you will be lucky if you find something you love and it will be a MIRACLE if someone will pay you for it!

I believe I have found both. Thank you to my students for giving me the opportunity.

Good luck to you all and don't worry we have all been in your shoes. :D

Soifua
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline HARDWORK

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • any thing worth having,is worth working for!
Re: Your VERY first time
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 10:56:11 AM »
Sifu Serene, you always come up with good topics,but the first time or this last time I still get the butterflys. I think going last is the toughest because of the wait and anticipation.I still remember being part of your brown belt test,and look at you now! give my best to GM Davis and let him know I'm greatfull for the training I received from him.   respectfully Rob
Sifu Rob Harris 3rd degree -Reyes Kenpo

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 05:02:42 PM »
Good Afternoon Rob:

Your right every time was scarier than the last. ;) How about the times they didn't tell ya and they just called you up and it was "Showtime". :o

Kinda dissapointing that others haven't posted here yet. :'(

I guess Rob only you and I were spooked everyone else must been all that and some. ;)

Must be nice. :D

Have a great weekend.  8)

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Israel Gonzales

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • www.themartialart.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 06:12:04 PM »
My first time was in Chinese Kenpo 22 years ago. My Sifu did testing in private. Only me and him in a room and he was my Uke!
Very intimidating feeling to stand in front of the teacher and perform techniques against him. The promotion ceremony was only teacher and student as well. No one watching, just you and teacher.

Sifu Israel Gonzales
Kajukembo Self-Defense Systems
Fort Worth, Texas.
(Sijo Emperado - GM Aleju Reyes - GM Richard Peralta - Israel Gonzales)
www.themartialart.com

Offline kadena

• White Belt
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 07:05:44 PM »
My first time was in judo as a 9 year old in Okinawa on an air force base shared with Japanese military. The sensei didn't speak a word of English. The gym was full of kendo practitioners that you had to run a gauntlet through to get to the mat room. Boy was that fun!   

The next "first" time was shortly thereafter in Uechi Ryu off base in a Japanese dojo. The head of the style and his son were on the testing board. Was I nervous? Nooooo ... my sensei never told me who those men were. Although I did get asked by one of the judges "Do you know who this man is (pointing to Kanei Uechi)?" Me: "No." Fortunately they still let me pass the test.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 03:12:00 PM by kadena »
Janette, green belt, Gaylord Method, Seven Star Women's Kung Fu

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 07:12:15 PM »
My very first time was when I was 9 and taking Shorin Ryu.   We tested as a group and each person was given three questions over history, terms, etc.  This was done on a Saturday.  The following Monday, a list of students who passed to the new level was posted on a board.  We were resposible for adding our own stripes to the belt.  If it was a new belt color, a small ceremony was held for those individuals.
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 10:58:47 PM »
The first time I was promoted wasn't really that difficult or scary.  We were a small adult group and I'd been with the school (Solis Martial Arts in San Pablo, CA) for over eight years because of my sons.  Once they got their black belts I decided I'd take up the art; so learning from Sifu Eddie and my other instructors was being with family for a long time.  Then I switched over to Hand to Hand Self-Defense Kajukenbo when I was an orange belt and was promoted to purple belt without having to test for it.  Our school allows for such a promotion and there were about five of us who were promoted to our next rank level at the time.

So, I consider my first real test promotion this past March when I tested for blue belt.  Now, all tests can be intimidating on some level, but here I was having been with my school for three years and the first time being publicly tested.  Our testing is done by a board of black belts, including our head instructor Sifu Jen Resnick (any and all black belts can judge at the time of testing) and there's usually a large audience crowd.  In the past, testers have been allowed to perform one form of their choice and so though we had been training for lim po and fau yip forms, I'd decided to do fau yip.  So of course, that's pretty much where I concentrated my extra energy for training...practice all the things I thought I'd be tested on and then focus on fau yip.

You guessed it.  They didn't do it this time.  Even in testing, Kajukenbo is adaptable, flexible and ecletic.  I was first to be called from my rank to perform my form and was told to do lim po.  I could've dropped through the floor as I was circling in my mind, "lim po?  I practiced fau yip!  Why lim po?".  Now, I had practiced lim po for my testing, but I thought we'd be doing it as a group.  So, the first time I did it, I ended up facing the wrong direction-- away from the board testers and said to myself, "uhm...I think I missed something."  So of course I was questioned on why I thought I ended up in the wrong direction.  I'm laughing as I write this and though I did redeem myself (I didn't become totally unglued and was able to end up in the right direction the second time!), I still do a ping to my head for not giving all my attention and focus to everything that I thought I would be tested on.  You can bet I wont' be training with that mindset again for my next promotion.
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 04:37:38 PM »
Great stories everyone.

Kadena you mentioned that your Sensi didn't speak english. You spoke Japanese though, right? Wow, that must have been difficult.

Sifu Israel, so it must be interesting now because you have your own school. Do you test your students indiviually or by group?

Sibak Brandi interesting story. So what made you change to Kajukenbo?

Rockatear congrats on your latest promotion.  It's funny we can laugh at ourselves afterwards, but during we just want to die.

I noticed you all trained under another style than came over to Kajukenbo. Interesting why the change? Relocation? Change of interest?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 04:52:44 PM »
There were several reasons for the change.  First, I was nine years old and very active.  My father paid for one year in advance and that was it.  The dojo was located in Redondo Beach and had a very difficult time getting there ontime for class.  After that, I found soccer and softball; both of which would take up so much time.  Ultimately, softball would pay for my college education.

When I started working, I thought the teams were still having practice in the gym.  I went to check on them and found the kajukenbo class instead.  I introduced myself to the intructor and was invited to participate.  That was in 1997.  Now, look where I am....  ;D

Thanks for asking.

Aloha,
Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline kadena

• White Belt
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 05:34:23 PM »
Kajushodan - I don't speak any Japanese. There was a little boy in the class who would translate for the rest of us. Maybe that's why my front leg sweep looked like a muay thai kick to the shin. All the finer points got lost.

The judo dojo closed after about 6 months so I started taking Uechi Ryu with the rest of my family. We transferred back to the States shortly thereafter and I didn't take up Shuri Ryu until my 20's. That lasted a few years 'til I bought a fixer upper house. I dabbled in kenpo briefly in my mid-30's then moved to Seattle which is where I found kajukenbo.

Making contact (at a fairly decent level depending on your partner's rank) from day one in kajukenbo was certainly an eye opener. All I was used to was making light contact, i.e., fluffing my partner's karate gi and withdrawing. So control and speed were there, but varying power levels weren't. Learning that added a whole other level of responsibility (and consequences thereof) to my training.
Janette, green belt, Gaylord Method, Seven Star Women's Kung Fu

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 07:23:03 PM »
Soifua Kajushodan,

My first school was also Kajukenbo.  I switched to Hand to Hand for personal reasons and remain on good terms with my first Sifu and old school.  And thank you for the congrats as that whole day was a wonderful day for me even with my fau paux. 
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline Israel Gonzales

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • www.themartialart.com
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 11:46:03 PM »
I test my students individually. I have tested two at once before (can help to uke for one another), but I still prefer one at a time. I also let them know when they're testing.
Sifu Israel Gonzales
Kajukembo Self-Defense Systems
Fort Worth, Texas.
(Sijo Emperado - GM Aleju Reyes - GM Richard Peralta - Israel Gonzales)
www.themartialart.com

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 06:46:41 AM »
Soifua Kajushodan,

My first school was also Kajukenbo.  I switched to Hand to Hand for personal reasons and remain on good terms with my first Sifu and old school.  And thank you for the congrats as that whole day was a wonderful day for me even with my fau paux. 

I thought hand to hand is a kajukenbo school?
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 12:11:41 PM »
You are correct Hand to Hand is Kajukenbo under GM Charles Gaylord.

I was inquiring about her first instructor Sifu Edie at Solis Martial Arts. I didn't know if they were Kajukenbo or not.

Sifu Israel, Sibak Brandi, Kadena and Rockatear thank you for sharing your interesting stories. It's funny how life deals us various cards. Seems as you all were in the right place at the right time.

By reading your posts - I don't see any regrets by your decisions. Nice very nice. :D

Until we meet again, enjoy your training and I hope to see all of you at Sijo's Annual birthday in July, 2005.

Soifua,
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 12:27:22 PM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 12:18:24 PM »
She said she switched from kajukenbo to hand to hand.  I thought they were both kajukenbo.  But heck I am just plain lost. ;D
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now