Author Topic: Your VERY first time  (Read 15696 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Re: Your VERY first time
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 12:35:40 PM »
No worries C Drake. I personally have never heard of Sifu Eddie Solis, but heck that doesn't mean anything either. ;)

Rocketear who was Sifu Eddie's instructor? Was he from GM Gaylord too?

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 12:42:36 PM »
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 01:08:44 PM »
Thanks CDrake for posting the site.

I must be tired but I didn't read anything about where his teaching came from? Yes, I read he has Kajukenbo teachings but from where? I don't know?

Hopefully, we will be able to get a better understanding once Rocketear answers.

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 01:50:13 PM »
Look on the kajukenbo tree.
Emil
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline Eugene Sedeno

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
  • Teacher
    • Sedeno's School of Self-Defence
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 03:08:09 PM »
Aloha from So. California,

Sifu Solis is a student of Sifu Jeff Wong who is a student of the Late SGM Halbuna.

He is very well known in the SF bay area and he used to hold a few tournaments a year there with Bill Grossman.
GM Eugene Sedeno
9th DBB
Perpetual Student

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 04:15:16 PM »
I was going to wait and look at our tree on Wed night. 

Thank you Prof. Sedeno. :D

See you in July Sir.

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 11:22:58 PM »
Thank you Professor Sedeno for explaining Sifu Eddie's lineage in Kajukenbo, and thanks C Drake for posting the website for Solis Martial Arts.  I credit Sifu Eddie for helping us raise our family since family values are stressed as well as academic progress all while training in the art.  Sifu's emphasis of the importance of family complemented that of my husband's (at the time) and mine, especially passing on certain values to our children.  It is a sweet memory for me that at one time my husband, myself and my two sons were all students at the same school.

C Drake the title of my current school is Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense and is listed at the bottom of my messages if you would like to visit our website.

Kajushodan, I am uncertain if "Soifua" is your title or a closing.  I know there was some discussion of different terminology for sifus, instructors, etc., at one time.  Please let me know when you get a chance, and too, I look forward to meeting you and many of the folks on the board in July.
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 09:44:50 AM »
Hi Folks,
I know I'm preaching to the choir but I have to say that Kaju rocks! Plus as an avid reader and Modern Arnis practitioner, I have a couple of items to add...
Sifu Eddie Solis is well known in the Modern Arnis circles. Dr. Remy Presas Jr. always speaks highly of him. Also, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo is legendary. Kempomama had me read a book that talked about it and Prof Coleen Gragen.
Respectfully,
Andrew
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 01:06:58 PM »
I agree thank you to those that continue to provide information to better assist those inquiring minds. :D

Rockatear, "Soifua" is a formal way of saying, farewell until we meet again in the Samoan language. Thank you for asking.

My title is Sifu because I am a teacher/instructor with my own school. I was corrected by Sijo this year 2005 when I wrote him a letter. Now, I know that Sifu means teacher/instructor plus it is a title for those 3rd to 5th degree. It's kind of cool I have a letter and everything from him.

FYI: In our Aleju Reyes lineage as soon as you received your 1st degree you were called Sifu. They believed at that rank you were teaching. One did not have to have there own school. Not until I traveled outside in the wide world Kajukenbo did I realize the differences.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Israel Gonzales

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • www.themartialart.com
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 07:28:13 PM »
Rockatear, Thanx for clearing that one up (Soifua)....I wondered the same thing as I'm sure many other non-Samoan speaking people here did too. I thought it probably meant female Sifu or something. Serene, you probably told me before but I have trained since and do not remember.
Sifu Israel Gonzales
Kajukembo Self-Defense Systems
Fort Worth, Texas.
(Sijo Emperado - GM Aleju Reyes - GM Richard Peralta - Israel Gonzales)
www.themartialart.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 06:26:30 PM »
Hi Israel:

My bad  :-[

Yes, I did tell you before but its okay. I understand the memory is the first thing to go. ;)

At least thats what I've heard. :D

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Israel Gonzales

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • www.themartialart.com
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 07:54:23 PM »
Thanx for reminding me! ........... Hey, does that come from age or Kaju?
Sifu Israel Gonzales
Kajukembo Self-Defense Systems
Fort Worth, Texas.
(Sijo Emperado - GM Aleju Reyes - GM Richard Peralta - Israel Gonzales)
www.themartialart.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 01:03:35 PM »
Oh boy, you really want to know that answer :o Very tempting.

Let me sleep on this one. ::)

Stay tuned. ;)

Take care I mean Soifua, :D

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2005, 12:11:25 AM »
Sifu Israel,

Your welcome.  I realized as I was addressing Sifu Kajushodan as "Soifua" that I sometimes noticed her posts had a comma after the word and then sometimes it didn't...and "Soifua" does sound like it could be a Kajukenbo title...kinda like it myself.  Anyway, once some attains their black belt in our school they receive the title of Sifu.

cya, (means "see ya")  :D
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2005, 02:36:41 PM »
The book that Chief mentioned is "Sharp Spear Crystal Mirror: Martial Arts in Women's Lives." Prof Gragen has her own chapter but is also mentioned in other parts. The book should be required reading for ALL women.

"I see women coming to the martial arts as a young movement that will transform it forever in a very deep way. The martial arts will never be the same again for this influence, and that's what my life is about, sitting right on that cusp and being engaged in that process." -Prof Coleen Gragen

Thank you to her and all the other women martial artists who paved the way. Now back to the subject...

I wish I can add more but all I remember is being scared. Thus that is the stardard for conducting a good test.

Scare your students!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 03:50:19 PM by kempomama »
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas