Author Topic: Beyond Kicking and Punching  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Beyond Kicking and Punching
« on: July 29, 2005, 05:40:15 PM »
Remember the day you started training and you thought what a cool art and you just couldn't get enough of it. Then one day you stopped taking and started giving. 

For those of you that are considering becoming an instructor or are already - IMHO there is a higher demand for us and its not just teaching self- defense.

Have a great weekend. 8)

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

juribe

Re: Beyond Kicking and Punching
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 12:35:42 AM »
Although I am still a student, color belt, my instructors have begun "teaching me to teach" under their supervision.  Teaching is way harder than it looks--I have even more respect for my instructors now-- but it sure helps you to learn your own material: the "why," concepts, variations, etc.

returning student

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 02:24:08 AM »
I agree with you J.Uribe .I also had a talk with my SIFU. and after we talk I have alot more respect for him.I have a better understanding about the Martial Arts.And can`t wait to see what he will teach me  Saturday.I hope one day I will be as good or better instructor then he is because of the wisdom he gave me. 8)

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 01:29:32 AM »

....For those of you that are considering becoming an instructor or are already - IMHO there is a higher demand for us and its not just teaching self- defense.

Have a great weekend. 8)

Soifua,

Kajushodan,

First of all, I'm sorry I missed you at Sijo's Vallejo tournament.  I could only stay a short while (because of my injury) and so hope we meet someday soon.

Okay, so back to the subject.  Could you speak more to the part where you say "...and its not just teaching self-defense."?

much respect,
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 05:58:24 PM »
Hi Shirley:

Sorry about the injury. No worries I'm sure our paths will cross again. Take care of yourself.

I say it is not just self defense because you become a lot more than just a teacher to your students. Sometimes, you are the only positive aspect in there life. My teachers have put up with a lot of stuff that I have done and only part of that was on the mat.

Now with my own school I am seeing the begining stages of those things and as time passes students begin to open up more.

I have found that some students don't do well in there outside life but yet Kajukenbo makes sense to them. As instructors we have the opportunity to show them how to take that same postive attitude into there daily lives.

For myself, I started opening up to my teachers because I trusted them. I think that is why we have to be really sure that when we become teachers are we really ready for everything that comes with it not just teaching self - defense.

IMHO there is a lot more opportunities for instructors if you want them go beyond teaching kicking and punching.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

juribe

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 10:21:20 PM »
Serene,

This last post is one of the best of yours yet that I've read. Agree that the relationship between teacher and student is built on trust, and in fact so are most student-student relationships. Many students look to their instructors and to the higher level belts for more than just instruction on how to punch, kick, take down. It's a responsibility that should not be taken lightly.

I interact with many kids that are fellow students at my school. Most of them greet me enthusiastically and most definitely want to interact on a personal basis outside of classtime. Often I'm preoccupied either with my own class/materials or "real world" stuff like work, kids, bills, etc. I continually have to remind myself to LISTEN to what they're saying, react honestly (not fake it!), and put aside my own thoughts, etc, in order to help them learn not only their material but all the other stuff we learn at the school: respect, integrity, honesty, courage, etc.

Again, I am only a student who is learning to teach and who assists the main instructors occasionally but I can already see what a responsibility it is to be an instructor and to become such an important part of a person's life.

Offline Mariel Maeso

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 11:05:41 AM »
Wow!! I totally agree with both J. Uribe and Kajushodan. The respect the I have to my Sifu become greater when he gave me the oportunity to teach in his class and later when he let me open a school. The sacrifies that these great Maters do to promote and continue the art  and hours that they dedicate to the students. The bonding between my Sifu and I is more than just a teacher-student but he is also a Friend!.
Mariel   
University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez Campus
1st Degree Black Belt
Under Sigung Jerry Mendez 7th Degree Black Belt
www.kajukenbopuertorico.com
www.kajukenbohispano.com
Hapkido & Farang Mu Sul 
Under Master Dennis Vega

Offline kadena

• White Belt
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 03:41:42 PM »
Many of you are fortunate to have such wonderful student-teacher relationships that extend beyond your classes. As teachers you must be subject to a great deal of hero worship, i.e., people imagining the person you must be without getting to know the person you really are. I would think newer students would fall into this trap often. Is that difficult for you and how do you deal with it?

Janette
Janette, green belt, Gaylord Method, Seven Star Women's Kung Fu

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 06:38:34 PM »
Jackie - thank you. I'm glad that this post is giving you an idea of what can happen. As a black belt its important that we share with those that are up and coming.

Excellent - Mariel.

Even now as teachers we never stop asking questions because we never stop becoming students. Many people have plenty questions but don't want to ask because we feel that it may be a dumb question. However, that's not the case its a dummy move if we don't ask.

In the begining its a teacher student relationship and as time passes on we develop a discipleship.
For students they come in as individuals and as time goes on student to student develop a camaraderie.

Kadena: For us at this time there is no problem. We have explained to our students in the dojo we are the leaders of the house just like at home you have your parents and they make the rules. We have a head of the house and WE teach to respect the head of the house.  

Sometimes I attend some of my students birthday parties, graduations, dinners, lunches and outside sport activities. At this time they see me without a gi and belt.  Its awkward at first for them but than they see that I'm human too. :D

Have a great weekend! 8)

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

juribe

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 09:32:47 PM »
As teachers you must be subject to a great deal of hero worship, i.e., people imagining the person you must be without getting to know the person you really are. I would think newer students would fall into this trap often. ...

Actually, what I see more often and what I'm referring to in my post is quite the opposite--the relationship that I am talking about develops over time and is what I see between students who have trained together for a year or longer or between a student and instructor who have worked together for a significant length of time.

During this time, you learn a lot about each other and as the student begins to trust her instructor more and more and as you increase in rank, skills, and teaching experience, your instructor becomes more important not only to your training in kaju but also to your life outside the school. I can honestly say (as cliched and hokey as this may sound) that kajukenbo has changed my life. I owe much of that to my main instructor as well as other instructors and black belts that I train with. They set an example for me in the way they train and interact with others, both at the school and outside of it.

Like Serene, my instructor is invited to and attends many social events that are not directly related to kajukenbo, such as birthday parties for his younger students. He is an important part of many peoples' lives. His actions set an example for his students every day-- to me that is a _big_ responsibility and not one that should be taken lightly :)