Author Topic: Cell phones Good? or Bad?  (Read 7141 times)

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
Cell phones Good? or Bad?
« on: August 13, 2005, 04:42:52 PM »
Hi folks, I love all of the well thought out responses concerning fear.  It's a very important survival response, and I too am not afraid to decide to that running is best, and while it may not look to strong, if someone wants my wallet, let 'em have it (there's nothing in it but mothballs anyway ;)). But threaten me or family, mama bear rears her sharp claws >:(.

Here's a new thought to ponder.  Are cell phones becoming a hazard to our health? :-\
sher out

Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
Re: All Womens Class
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 04:24:17 AM »
Sifu Sheryl,

I find cell phones to be a two-edged sword.  They're good for emergencies and families.  OTOH, it can be a source of conflict for parents and teens as it can be just another way of ignoring a parent or rebelling against parental authority.  As for driving, they're a real hazard and I hope all states make it illegal to talk on your cell phone if you're the driver unless you're pulled over on the side of the road.  Even if you have a speaker phone, you still have to dial the number or look for the speed dial.

I think cells phones are also adding to the isolation of simple human contact and conduct.  And most of all, I'm not too fond about the idea of having a battery close to my head emitting who knows what kind of energy into an already complicated and biochemical machine such as our brains.  I'll be glad when they have the same status as watches-- functional, other than being cool, in the know, or whatever.

Thanks for bringing up some good questions.
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Re: Cell phones Good? or Bad?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 05:26:30 PM »
Good Afternoon Interested Parties:

I split this topic since - cells phone are an entirely different monster. ;)

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Enfemus

• Blue Belt
    • Life of Brian and Leslie Thompson
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 04:21:45 PM »
Well like anything too much of something is bad for you. All cell phones must meet a Federal standard of minimal Frequency Emittion. That is the only way a cel phone could hurt you. The other ways are done by other people not being aware of their surroundings. Such as not noticing that mugger walking up behind you, or the car that is stopped in front of you. So we only have ourselves to blame as humans for cell phone "Accidents". I find that as a society it is easier to blame something or someone else than to face the truth. That is why this is one of my favorite quotes.

Look in the mirror, before you look out the window
Brian Thompson
Leadership Training - Green Belt
Preimer Martial Arts - Tum Pai

juribe

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 08:51:09 PM »
Here's a new thought to ponder.  Are cell phones becoming a hazard to our health? :-\

I think cell phone are dangerous for other reasons:

I've seen several women walking for exercise in parks and on bike baths while talking on their cell phone. This must impede their ability to be aware of their surroundings and what's going on around them. As a woman who runs in a local park three times a week, I think this is dangerous. Awareness is one of the best self defense moves we can take.

Interestingly, I rarely see men out exercising while talking on their cells.

Offline Enfemus

• Blue Belt
    • Life of Brian and Leslie Thompson
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 06:56:29 PM »
Thats a very good point, I would have never thought of that and I see it all the time.
Brian Thompson
Leadership Training - Green Belt
Preimer Martial Arts - Tum Pai

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 01:42:46 PM »

I think cell phone are dangerous for other reasons:

I've seen several women walking for exercise in parks and on bike baths while talking on their cell phone. This must impede their ability to be aware of their surroundings and what's going on around them. As a woman who runs in a local park three times a week, I think this is dangerous. Awareness is one of the best self defense moves we can take.

Interestingly, I rarely see men out exercising while talking on their cells.

I have a friend who calls me when she's walking from her car port to her apartment complex because it is sometimes dangerous area and I guess if she gets attacked she hopes I'll call 911.  She doesn't take martial arts although she has taken some self-defense.  But overall, I agree that cell phones and headsets to music drop down one's awareness rate.

Additionally, while I don't see many men talking while excersing I see lots of men driving while talking on their cell phones from young bloods talking to whomever to business and professionals doing business while driving, especially the self-employed and/or contractors.

I have to carry and pager and cell for my job, but it's a definite pullover when they go off.  Heck, I can barely read without bifocals anyway :D.
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline marie curie

• White Belt
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 11:01:43 AM »
I think that mobiles, like many things, can have both positive and negitive affects on a person's safety.  Yes, I've read (somewhere, and I don't know if it was reliable, but it's a valid thought anyway) that a person is more likely to be attacked when on a cell phone because their attacker assumes that they aren't paying as much attention.  That makes some sense, but then there is the thought that if a person knows where you are and hears a scream and thud, they would call 911 and get you help. 

I had a very positive experience with a cell phone once.  Early in the morning my friend and I were waiting for a bus in an area of the city that isn't great, but not usually bad during the day.    An older guy with a cane (about 55, not too too old) started chatting with us.  Well, Pittsburgh is a friendly city, so we agreed that the weather was nice or whatever and returned to our own conversation.  He came closer and tried to keep talking to us- starting to compliment our appearances.  We stepped back, but I was limited, having something in my way, and he grabbed me.  I knocked his arm off me, and manuvered around the sign, grabbing for my cell phone.  Note: He was an older guy, and two twenty-something girls beating up some guy with gray hair and a cane would probably get us in more trouble than was worth.  My friend was also getting her phone, and together we said, "I'm calling (her boyfriend)."  Now obviously this guy didn't know her boyfriend.  He didn't know that he is a very skilled martial artest with years of experience in many styles and military training.  The guy also didn't know that her boyfriend was very much asleep and even with his phone off, I think.  But... The unknown threat of someone just a phone call away was enough to make him leave quickly.  So, for minor threats such as that, I think the mobile is a good thing.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu

Jennifer Sydeski
University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline Mark Dinkel

• Blue Belt
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 09:01:42 AM »
Look in the mirror, before you look out the window

I love this quote. I try to keep something comparable to it as a "mantra" in life. My comparable is point the finger at yourself before you do at others. Thank you for putting it there enfemus. Your's is more eloquent than mine.

But I also wanted to comment on Federal standards. Do you really trust the government to protect you and tell you what is good for you and what is acceptable?

I hope you do not.

Student black belt
Sifu GM Vince Black
Orange belt
Instructor Sensei Tobias

Offline kfarny

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 11:43:09 PM »
I got in trouble with the Mrs. once for having my cell phone off.
I went to the store, and when I got back an hour later, she said, "I tried to call you".
I said, "Sorry, I had my phone off."
"Why?"
"Because I did not need to use it."
"Well, it should be on all the time so that I can call you when I need you."
"But honey, the cell phone is for me to call you, not you to call me."

...............it was a cold night.
Kirk Farnsworth   3rd Degree,  East/West Method Tum Pai
East West Martial Arts, Master Doug Bertrand
Vancouver, Wa.

Offline Mark Dinkel

• Blue Belt
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 10:30:35 AM »
 ;D Good thing for blankets.

I used to carry a cell phone. When I first started my business it was difficult to locate me so a cell phone was necessary. I was also in a "committed" relationship at the time. As my business grew, my clients found more often than not that I could be found in the office near my land line. As a result they stopped using the cell phone number.

The relationship then ended, and the cell phone was more of a nuisance and a impeachment of my privacy that was truly unnecessary. As a result, I eliminated the cell phone from my life and business. Boy did I feel free and liberated.

About a two years ago, I was in a meeting with some peers, and we were discussing the "ball and chain" feeling of a cell phone. In our profession, there are few if any emergencies (poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part), so a cell phone is really not needed for clients.

I explained how liberated I felt when I got rid of my phone. An almost unanimously resounding response came from many of my peers shackled with a cell phone. Their response was a question to me, you do not have a wife do you. The answer was clearly no.

About a year ago, I resumed carrying a phone and immediately started to feel the "ball and chain" attachment to it. Constantly worrying if I left in in the car, restaurant or where ever. This worry was stemming from one of the two reasons I had started to carry it again. I got rid of that reason and now am not as concerned if I do not have my phone with me.

Overall I do not think cell phones are good or bad. Like most things, they have their place and time. Excessive use of anything is more than likely bad for you.

I do know, from my own personal experience, I appreciate it when others turn their phones off, not just to vibrate, during class. Often during class, I am seeking to get in touch with my deeper inner self. When a phone goes off during class, it often, in my opinion, whether it is answered or not, disrupts the energy of the class.
Student black belt
Sifu GM Vince Black
Orange belt
Instructor Sensei Tobias