Author Topic: All Womens Class  (Read 23199 times)

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
Re:All Womens Class
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2003, 08:15:02 PM »
Soifua,

Thank you for the invitation.  My invitation was to
show men and some women sparring together in hard-> full contact with minimal padding.  At my Kenpo school, we train mixed gender classes, although admittedly, the ranks are filled predominantly by males.
I have taught many students of both genders during my tenure as an instructor for about ten years.

Gints
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2003, 08:31:22 PM »
>I have to agree with Sigung Joe Solis, that the >technique should fit the individual and not the gender.  
>... Good stuff deleted ..
>Well, the sister was the aggressor, and she kicked her >brother’s butt.  

Gerry,

I agree with your assertions that techniques are best suited for body attributes rather than gender.  However, body attributes *can* be generalized by gender. Most societies segregate sports by gender for this reason.   You can test your own gut-feeling about this issue by thinking about sports in the absence of this gender segregation.

Some techniques are clearly gender-specific.  As some of us are learning, women don't have male genitalia.  Thus, a testicle crush or grab is non-existant on a woman.  Impact to the pubic bone is probably equally effective against males and females. Occasionally during sparring between two women, I yell "Kick her in the balls."  For some reason, that stement brings a chuckle to both men and women.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2003, 12:36:59 PM »
Good Morning Everyone:

WOW! This has sure taking a turn hasn't it.  ;)

We went from discussing women's classes,men and women are built different, come to our school, see them train together, and now our school is better than yours. :o  :P :)

My invite was only to assist you in broadening your look on men & women training together. I felt that what better way to show you that our techniques are not gender specific by inviting you to train with us. Yes, we too do full contact fighting and safety gear is optional. During this time anything goes and belt ranks are not considered. It is the opportunity for us to put our techniques, common sense and will to survive together.

If you'd like you may take a rain check on my invite. Whenever you are available our doors will be open for as they have been for the last 35 years.

Thanks for the invite to your school but I decline. My school has what I need and I am blessed.  

Take care and great discussion. Gints, good for you for speaking your mind I respect that. :D It's good to see someone stand by their beliefs. We kept this forum real busy.  ;)

Oh by the way "Soifua" means farewell in Samoan. My name is Sibak Serene Terrazas-see signature below.

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Mike Nagano

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Kajukenbo
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2003, 01:34:33 PM »
"We went from discussing women's classes,men and women are built different, come to our school, see them train together, and now our school is better than yours."

Sibak Serena makes a great point.  This discussion has been thoroughly entertaining and has covered many issues.  At the same time, it has been a bit frustrating to follow, at times moving beyond constructive discussion into the realm of verbal competition.  Still, I see value in all points of view, as I would see value in training in all the schools discussed (i.e. Gints' school, Sibak Serena's, as well as any other legitimate martial arts/self-defense school).

However, the topic, which was originally brought up by Mell, asked whether it was a disservice to female students to train in an all female class.

It seems to me that many feel it's a disservice, and it is my understanding that those who feel this way would in no way have such a class available.

If we take into consideration the fact that there is a POSSIBILITY that more students could be serviced by having a such a class, wouldn't it be a good thing (that is if numbers, and space, and scheduling would allow it)?

If so, then, to help out the original post a little more constructively, how could having an all female class be done so that it is not a disservice?

The fact of the matter is:  they do exist.  

The late Sigung Coleen Gragen ran all female classes and camps/retreats and seemed to be successful with this concept (at least this is what I gathered from an article I read about her a while back.)  Maybe someone who had trained with her could add their thoughts.

Sifu Mike Nagano
Bishop's Kajukenbo Academy

kajutexan

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2003, 01:37:21 PM »
Good afternoon to all,  ;D
Wow this is really taking off isn't it?   ;)  There are some good points here and that everyone is putting there 2 cents in.

Gints if you know the books contents you would pick up the book if not you would not pick up the book right.  I think that the bottom line is using the the proper techniques.  Whether you are a male or female?  :D

Weight,  height, male, female it does not matter.  What matter is technique and different techniques that will take care of the situation.

As for the finger nails none of the females or males has them in my school and I have 27 females so they are able to punch and use there grab techniques.

Do you have a special class for persons that have finger nails?  ???

Most societies segregate sports by gender for this reason?

My answer to this is I will be playing against the Dallas Cowboys on Friday my number is #52 for the Texans and my mother will also be playing at middle linebacker right next to me.   ;D :D

Last but not least Serene Invited you to go train with them and didn't ask if you knew GrandMaster Bautista so you amswered an invite with an invite   ??? ???

Have a great day all back to the field

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2003, 04:59:53 PM »
>Thanks for the invite to your school but I decline. My >school has what I need and I am blessed.  

Thank you for the invitation to your school.  I hope to visit sometime soon.  I'm sorry to hear that you are unwilling to visit other schools.  

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2003, 05:04:59 PM »
>As for the finger nails none of the females or males >has them in my school and I have 27 females so they >are able to punch and use there grab techniques.

You sidestepped the issue of dealing with women that do have long nails.  About 50% of the women that walk through my class maintain long finger nails.  I have found that this physical attribute severely limits the effectiveness of grabbing and punching.  Have you ever tried to teach punching and grabbing techniques to such women?  

TODD

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2003, 05:19:32 PM »
Size does matter (did I say that?) in the martial arts....or Kajukenbo anyway.  Students have to
get the feel of different sizes. If I were to train with people limited to say a smaller stature,
what happens on the street when I'm attacked by someone other than what I've trained with?
And just to play devils advocate how about an all male class?  Personnally I think both is a bad
idea.  In summary classes should be mixed by gender.  If the women are introduced in an all
womens class and then circulate into regular class (non-gender orientated) I think its definately
workable.  

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2003, 05:47:49 PM »
>Gints first of all Kajukenbo is not a sport and that is >why there is no separation. What you have been >doing  the last 10 years they have been doing it in >Vallejo for the last 35 years and more.  

Mockster,

I am only passing down the knowledge of my teachers,
whom also trace their roots to the same source of kajukenbo: Adriano Emperado.  I don't think it's fair to compare the quality of any program by the content of a few Internet posts by essentially anonymous authors.

Gints

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2003, 07:10:55 PM »
Hi Gints:

I do visit other schools. I have visited many in my time. However, by your remarks/comments I don't believe we really see eye to eye on training. Therefore, it would not benefit me by going to your school at this time.

Again, thank you for the invite. I look forward to training with you in Vallejo.

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2003, 08:39:01 PM »
>I don't believe we really see eye to eye on training. >Therefore, it would not benefit me by going to your >school at this time.

Serena,

If you would take the time to scan my web page,
you'll notice that it's not about a school at all.
Rather, it's more of a fighting event.

http://home.att.net/~gints/GFC.htm

The training method at this particular "club" is
100% sparring with no direct instruction other than
group commentary during the video review immediately following each session.  There are no fees/memberships, referees or winners/losers.  I even pass out DVDs of the sessions.  Have you ever watched
yourself spar on videotape?  It's a fantastic learning tool.

People from all different styles from all over the SF Bay Area travel to my "open" club to spar with people whom they have never met before.  The idea to keep the fighting fresh and real with new faces from different styles and backgrounds.  We play with aluminum knives,
rattan sticks (single/double), unarmed vs. weapon,
coke cans in pillowcases, bars of soap in towels, belts, jackets, shirts, shoes, two on one, two on two, three on one, and whatever comes to mind.  

Gints

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2003, 05:20:16 AM »
Mockie,

I totally would like to visit Vallejo to check out a class and in no way did I mean to turn down that invitation.

I've had a somewhat full seminar weekend schedule this year, including training a group to do the Dog Brother Gathering last month.  Master Rich Lewis likes me to arrange for him to go to your kajukenbo seminars to meet Sijo Adriano Emperado, but Rich is an older and generally private fellow and, well, when the day arrives ...

As for my sparring club, I keep a regular schedule on Tuesdays.  We're off for August.  I welcome people to watch or participate. Since it takes place in my home, I really don't want to pass out my address freely.  I'll pass directions to those I've ok'd and commits to actually showing up on a particular date.  It's all about having fun.

My Sunnyvale Kenpo club is always open for observation and keeps a regular schedule, Monday Wednesday, Friday.  Rich Lewis has been at that location for about 30 years or so.  I think I saw you on a self-defense seminar list at the Supreme Court Athletic Club in Sunnyvale.  Well, we have the room at night.

Later,

Gints

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2003, 12:23:03 PM »
Gints:

Your club fits you and meets your needs. My school fits me and definetly exceeds my needs. :D

There will be people that do not enjoy your club as there will be people that do not care for my training. However, neither are bad so long as YOU like it.  ;)

Enjoy your training as I do mine. Do not take offense to those that are not interested. The wonderful thing about us is that we have CHOICE. I have made my choice as you have made yours.  :)

I am not taking away anything from your training or your club. It sounds like it works for you and thats great. However, we do need to accept the fact that we are different and its okay.  ;)

Soifua, 8)

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

kajutexan

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2003, 03:07:33 PM »
Hey Gints, On your finger nails in class for punching and grabs.  No I have not come across that problem I have all the students cut there nails in my class so they can properly use there techniques.  

No disrespect to anyone but I feel that I teach students male or female equally so that they can share the same knowledge in all the techniqes that they learn.

Off to the field,  Have a great day   8)  

Kailee #52

Offline DACS

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • THERE'S ALWAYS MORE TO LEARN!
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2003, 04:40:29 AM »
It would be an obvious choice to have the nails cut short. I don't think the nails would survive the training excercises that my instructor puts us through. If they really want long nails, I'd suggest getting fake ones. Such a small sacrifice.
Ramos Method
Wahiawa Kajukenbo