Author Topic: To the MALES in the house  (Read 23673 times)

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
Re: To the MALES in the house
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 08:57:33 AM »
Proffesor Harper said it the way I would.  I will hopefully be in his area within the next six months.  I will far and away be the smallest guy he has.  BUT, there is no better way for me to find out what works for me, I would think most women would want to consider the same sort of thought.
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

Offline crabpuff

• White Belt
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 10:06:17 AM »
I would have to say that I do train a little differently with women.  It's mostly when it comes to grabs that affect sensitive areas,  it is just hard for me to get over.  Just the way i was raised i guess.  But other than that i treat it the same as i do any one else
Ryan Faircloth Student of Sifu Cedric Pickett
Dragon Star Academy
Middle of nowhere Del Rio TX

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 10:37:31 AM »
I the school with my students I use men and women equally, but when teaching a seminar, I choose someone that looks tough enough to take what I'm about to show.  If no one stands out sometimes I pick the biggest guy.  That may be politically wrong....but so is a an elbow to the liver of a young lady......imagine the flack i would hear after....know what I mean.
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline supertim2003

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • "That's going to leave a mark"
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 01:18:28 PM »
Sigung Bono, I believe a lot of teachers that do seminars follow a similar reasoning.  I get picked a lot to dummy for a technique and I believe it is in some part due to my size (6'3" 260).  I also think these same instructors use women when and where they feel comfortable doing so.  I am sure there would be plenty of women who would be happy to volunteer for such duty, but I think the instructors like to demonstrate that the technique will work on bigger guys and that too makes a lot of sense.
Tim Morrow 1st Degree Black Sash Kajukenbo Tum Pai

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 02:21:49 PM »
Great points have been made by many about the differences between training men and women. I have only seen a handful of women in Kajukenbo that reach black belt. Just your thoughts, is that a fault of Kajukenbo as an organiztion for failing to appeal to women, or a fault of women for not recognizing Kajukenbo's strengths?

Just a comment on "Reality" training. I had already been a  Kajukenbo black belt under a very respectable teacher when I became a police officer in the 80s. I thought my training had prepared me for what was out there. We always talked about how hard we trained, how tough we were, etc. I was not prepared!

The first time I had to fight someone who didn't care who I was and thought if they could just beat me down they could go, I knew my training had to change. I tried adding jujitsu by training with Wally Jay-a great man. It helped me to recognize the jujitsu in my Kajukenbo, but I was still training the same way.

It took years to see the mistakes. Most Kajukenbo schools practice techniques like punch counters, grab coutners, etc. That's the good part. The bad part is we do them against an attacker who is not padded up. That means even if we hit them hard, it can never be our hardest because we would destroy them. Ever once in a while you see someone get blasted, but it's never over and over.

Now we pad the attacker up in the RedMan or Fist suit and blast them our hardest every time. That way we hit as hard as we can every time we hit. And we do it over and over. Whether it's knife, club, whatever. If you are not padding your attacker up when you practise techniques, you are missing out on developing your ability power and accuracy.

That covers self defense. For some that's all they need. If you happen to be in an environment where fighting occurs like a bar, club (bad relationship with your spouse-just kidding!), then fighting is needed to know what to do and how to do it when you have to fight. There is standing and ground fighting and a combination of the two.

Lately, we have been mixing grappling, boxing and kick boxing. There is nothing like punching someone in the mouth. One the flip side, getting punched in the mouth is not all that good, but it builds your ability to fight back. No one wants to fight you when you take their best shot and still want to fight.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:26:12 PM by Mitch Powell »
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 03:35:26 PM »
Professor Mitch I agree 100%, we use the FIST equipment ourselves.  It's true until you've been really tagged, you don't know what you'll do.  as the old saying goes..."Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth."
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Dennis Peterson

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 04:46:28 PM »
I am with training with some type of protective padding on the attacker.  I felt I was missing something by training myself to hit soft and on the other end I got tired of getting blasted to be hurt all the time.  Now I feel cheated when I train without pads on the attacker.  Do not get me wrong there is a crawl (learn the technique), walk (perform them on an attacker), then run (pad up and blast away).  The key here is to pad only those areas you need to protect and try not to deviate from the defense to protect your partner.  If you ad lib, you have to remember to turn it off when you strike an unprotected area.  When you pad up and go full force you realize speed is not always the answer and you also see what the founders were trying to pass on, where you thought one technique ended was wrong.  Try this type of training because if you do not have this type of training, you are only kidding yourself and creating misconceptions in your abilities to protect yourself.  Also you need to have the attacker fight back sometimes if a techniques goes south on you, like Bono says about being punched......
Peterson' Mixed Martial Arts Academy
Professor Dennis Peterson
Under Grandmaster Mitch Powell
Original Method Kajukenbo/MMA

Offline Sifu Angel Herrera

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • UNITY IS HERE
    • Kajukenbo Kosho Ryu Kenpo in Vermont
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2005, 08:45:55 PM »
Hello to all Martial Arts brothers and sisters that have posted in this topic.
A little while back (in the topic) the subject of Women doing push ups came up. I have included in this post a link to a video of one of my female students. The purpose is to motivate Kajukenbo Women around the world.   

http://www.xtrememartialart.com/Sarah_Push_Up.wmv

Regards from Vermont:

Sibak Angel Herrera
Sifu Angel Herrera
3rd Degree Kajukenbo Kosho Ryu
Vermont Kajukenbo Kosho Ryu Kenpo
www.xtrememartialart.com

juribe

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2005, 02:47:48 AM »
I have only seen a handful of women in Kajukenbo that reach black belt. Just your thoughts, is that a fault of Kajukenbo as an organiztion for failing to appeal to women, or a fault of women for not recognizing Kajukenbo's strengths?

Professor Powell,

A woman who I trained with for a couple years discussed this (half jokingly) almost every training session: "What kind of women like to do this??"--all the while we were lovin' every minute of it!

I don't think there is fault to be found--it's a personal preference. Kaju is rough: you get big bruises, mat burns, cuts, blood--none of which society considers particularly attractive on women. My family is always freaking out about the bruises on my thighs and upper arms.

I think either women like it and continue, or they don't. I haven't seen much "gray" area. The ones who stay, for them it means a lot. At least three women have told me that kaju changed their lives, and I feel the same way.

Rough stuff appeals to me, I guess. Prior to taking up kaju I rode and raced mountain bikes, which sent me to the emergency room a few times, but I also landed me a husband  ;) It's another sport where there are few women regularly participating and where you get bruises, scratches, cuts, and lovely, blistering patches of poison oak on every body part imaginable. When I ride, I see maybe one woman for every 10 men on the trails. But 15 years of riding has never changed my life in the way that kajukenbo, the first martial art I've ever tried, has.

So, I think it's the nature of the kaju and the personal preference for the individual woman. It is what it is--a few women love it, but far more don't think it's for them.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2005, 10:54:43 AM »
Maybe it's true..."Bruises Heal and Chicks Dig Scars", I read this somewhere a dozen years ago and put it on my school hats as a joke.  I thought some gals might be upset (I hoped not), but I never heard one complaint and the hats are very popular with men and women alike.  So maybe Kaju gals do like a scar here and there......Of course what's our choice as men and women training hard we need partners that appreciate the bumps and bruises. As Joe Pesci said in My Cousin Vinnie "I could use a good _ss kicking, I'll be very honest with you  ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 11:03:10 AM by KajuJKDFighter »
GM John E Bono DC

Katsugo

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 12:37:21 PM »
Hello Sifu S.,

Although I am not a Kajukenbo instructor, I believe my answer may be universal between the arts. I cant strike women as hard as men but I can test the pain levels and "heart" of each individual ( men and women alike ). This concept works for kids/young adults too. I have a female student whom can take a good side kick to the body. Each person is different. Test their "heart" and desire by pushing them a little more each time they train.

Hope that helps!!

J. Anderson

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2005, 02:10:51 PM »
So, are we saying that in order to have good training we have to have red man suits? Absolutely not, I think what is being said is they are a great addition to our training.

If you don't have a red man suit make due with what you already have. Most of us have kicking shields, focus mitts, head gears, gloves, groin cups, shin guards, mouth pieces, heavy bags and muay tai pads.

Always remember just cause it works for someone else that doesn't mean it will work for you. Training is what you make it to be. If your training  works for you than keep it if it doesn't than change it. Change only for the right reasons.

Now here is another question - I saw a mention of gray side.

Is there a gray side of Kajukenbo? 

Could the gray side be those that are not fascinated in training part but are into the fellowship/social part of Kajukenbo?

What do you think?

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2005, 03:26:19 PM »
I don't really think it's about, "What kind of women do this?" It sounds to me like it's more of what kind of people do this? Those of us who enjoy this get kinda of a high out of the hitting and being hit. We're a bit off I might say. We don't mind the bruises and pain that come with it. That's not right, really!

Heart is required to do what we do. Everyone wants to be Bruce Lee until you have to put in the hard work and find that something deep inside you that gets you to keep going back even though you hurt or your pride got pounded. Those without heart quit.

Padding helps with the training. A Redman or Fist suit is expensive and not everyone will want to add that to their training. Using other less expensive padding works too. When I first went to Karate tournaments in the 70s we only had the soft, slip on football type shin guards. That was it. Now we have nice shin guards, feet and hand pads, helmets, mouth pieces, etc. Padding helps fighting because you can hit harder and take a shot better.

Padding also helps when practicing techniques. It's odd though. A lot of people take the padding off when practicing techniques? If you know the technique you should at least try and do it at full speed a couple of times when you practice it to see how well you can actually do it.

My son and I played a lot of baseball as he grew up. He is a pitcher. I had no problem at all catching the ball when he was younger, but now that he is a junior in high school he throws too hard for me. I can catch the ball no problem at half speed. Everything works when you slow it down!

I think you may be right about the grey area. It is the group that doesn't really want to train hard. They show up to functions, walk around, some get promoted from time to time to rather high rank, even though they have no skills. They like being part of a group, especially a martial arts group. We all know who they are. Sometime we call them our friends, even though we don't really respect them.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2005, 07:55:34 PM »
So that's the grey area.  I'm familiar with that also.  I've seen it and wish to never be one of those people.  Hanging around is ok I think, it's the promotion that's difficult sometimes for the others that are putting in the hours of sweat and blood.....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline V. F. Mateo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • That little extra in ordinary = extraordinary
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 12:52:13 PM »
good topic...I remember my days in Kenpo-Karate. We never had any females in class. We were told as soon as you enter the dojo, everyone is your enemy. You kill the enemy >:(. Of cousre those days in the early 60's.The training was so hard and fierce even football players would watch and never return to join. Hard to fine students at present level and beat down especially in Seattle and as we age we need to maintain instead of kill each other. I do have some females in my self-defense classes but they don't train the way I want them. They are pretty soft. I had 2 females that trained hard, one broke her hand several times the other bruised a lot and knock the other guys tooth off. That's all good. The females that were in my classes were more interested in Kickboxing rather than get beat down. If they are willing to take the punishment than give 'um.  :)

Professor Powell, Sigung Bono, Serene, Howzit...

Aloha,
V. Frank Mateo
V. Frank Mateo-8th degree; GM Gerry Scott
CHA 3 Kenpo Karate; retired Co-Founder Frank Suan
5th Degree KAA; GGM Charles Gaylord-Professor Brian Yoshii & Professor Brian Baxter
Ali'i Warriors Fight Club-Muay Thai (Promoter, Match Maker, Trainer, and Coach)