Author Topic: To the MALES in the house  (Read 23671 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Re: To the MALES in the house
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2005, 01:39:50 PM »
Howzit Sigung: :D

Simple enough if they could take it give it. :D

I had the similar experience when running a kick boxing class.
We had 20+ females everyone was happy.  ;D
Than we paired them off to each other and the class dwindled down to 10 (one jab and the other catch). :-[
Than we had them spar and then there were 2. :'(

The curriculum is now a co-ed informal self-defense class and now there are 10 and growing! ;D

Talk soon.

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2005, 02:09:39 PM »
Hey Frank. Things are great. I hope all is well with you. People do not want to do what they need to do to learn to protect themselves. It's not just women. We fail people here at the police academy all the time because they are not tough enough. Most adults have never been in a street fight. We are trying to train them for something they know nothing about and they are afraid to learn.

If we treat women like women when we train then they lose. Beat them like you're married to them! That's why Ester can break your leg off with a round kick and she's 95 lbs! It's not an accident. You do what you know, and if you only know hard, then that's what you get. Serene has rung my bell more times than I'll tell.

Hug them after class, beat them during class. Hey that could be anew Kajukenbo Motto!

Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2005, 02:26:13 PM »
Esther's up to 100 lbs. now, at Black Belt this past week I had her wale my leg with rear leg round houses for a while....well I guess just for fun.  It started to feel like I was back east and owed a bookie some money so they were reminding me with a beautiful lead pike about it.  Sometimes I wonder what I'm thinking....but then I did have a flash back to my childhood.....Good Times
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2005, 02:50:38 AM »

...I think you may be right about the grey area. It is the group that doesn't really want to train hard. They show up to functions, walk around, some get promoted from time to time to rather high rank, even though they have no skills. They like being part of a group, especially a martial arts group. We all know who they are. Sometime we call them our friends, even though we don't really respect them.

Well, Professor, I hope the ones you say we really don't respect are those that get promoted to a high rank, but have no skills.  All that to say, I'm not necessarily in the grey area, but I've noted I'm a binge trainer and fighter.  I'd like to think that my promotions, while lengthy in time, are still acknowledgement of my skills.  I sometimes envy those who can train without interruptions, who can make training their priority at all times, who have a single-mindedness to the art.  I do not.  Yet, somehow I can't get martial arts out of my blood.  I love the forms and I love the sparring and sometimes I'm even into the necessary workouts and trainings needed to advance in skill and knowledge.  But it's not full-time.  It may change this year, since somethings in my life have changed.  If it does, it'll be a surprise to me...a good surprise, but a surprise none the less.

with respect,

Our children are watching us...
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 04:23:49 PM »
Sigung Bono - your too funny. :D

No doubt some have even called Kajukenbo training as being a real turn on - now I know you too. ;)

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2005, 04:24:28 PM »
Like I said Serene "Good Times"
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Sifu Julian

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • Civilize the Mind, Make Savage the Body!
    • Chinese Kajukenbo Self-Defense
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2005, 01:17:01 PM »
I like a lot of what has been said on this thread.

Sigung Bono---I totally agree, " Bruises Heal & Chicks Dig Scars" --- Watch Lethal Weapon 3 and see what I mean!!!

I would agree that we should push people to be their best no matter what their physical build.

Here is a personal story on this subject:

I started training with a new instructor because my first instructor quit teaching. I went in to a "testing" class where the instructor assessed my skills and then accepted my Brown Belt into his class. I was 20 years old at the time and his daughter had just tested for her Black Belt a few weeks before me showing up and she was 15 years old at the time.

Here I am a strapping 20 year old that has been training for 4 years 2-3 X's/week and a Brown Belt. I had always been taught by my strictly Southern parents that "Men do not raise their hands to Ladies"
One night Sifu Charlie paired his daughter (Tori) and me to do some light sparring. I should mention at this point that Tori had this wickedly accurate Roundhouse Kick that she would strike with the toe instead of the laces which I had no clue of at the time.

So, we begin our little "dance" and all was going pretty well until she decided to plant that toe kick square in my groin and me with no cup---because I like to train for reality and I don't wear a cup on the streets---so not in training either.

I decided right then and there that I was never again going to take ANYONE for granted and assume that everyone was like that 15 year old girl that planted that toe kick on me.

Seriously, push people to their limits but we can all agree that we are not here to kill our students.

Food for Thought!

J.

Professor Julian Sims
8th Red Belt/Black Border-Kajukenbo Self-Defense;
4th Red & White Belt-Bushido Kempo;
3rd Black Sash-SDS Jeet Kune Do;
3rd Degree Instructor-Chinese Wushu Assn.;
K.S.D.I. #837
K.O.A.-Sifu Society
O.K.O.-Lifetime #139

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2005, 01:34:36 PM »
That was funny and so true, treat everyone like their 6'6" 325 pounds and you'll be more alert and not take people's ability for granted....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline SA_Kajukenbo

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2005, 02:51:16 PM »
Guess I don't quit grasp this "train for reality" concept.  I thought all training was done to be able to use it in a real-life situation.  If I can do a front kick barefoot to a pad correctly and not hurt my toes, then I can certainly do a front kick wearing shoes.  And even though I don't walk around in public with a cup on, never will I attend a class without one.  I am not saying either way is good or bad.  If it works for you, great.  We just have a little different training philosophy.  All Kajukenbo is good.
Sifu John Hood KSDI#4001
5th Degree
Pastor - His Time Missions; Ebenezer SMC
"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under Heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2005, 03:03:28 PM »
Sometimes people train a jump spinning heal.  Cool looking technique, works the stretch, not much good in a fight.  There's a lot of arts out there and just as many distorted ideas on what reality is and isn't... Make sense??
GM John E Bono DC

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2005, 03:13:09 PM »
Sometimes people train a jump spinning heal.

I need to learn healing techniques, especially after going for a few rounds of grappling and getting choked on my own arm :)  It would especially be cool if I could do it while jumping and spinning ;D
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline SA_Kajukenbo

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2005, 04:22:45 PM »
Sometimes people train a jump spinning heal.  Cool looking technique, works the stretch, not much good in a fight.  There's a lot of arts out there and just as many distorted ideas on what reality is and isn't... Make sense??

I suppose it makes some sort of sense.  Like those adds for the "ultimate fighting technique", where you can learn to defeat any black belt in just 30 days from the privacy of your own home by mail.
Sifu John Hood KSDI#4001
5th Degree
Pastor - His Time Missions; Ebenezer SMC
"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under Heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Offline GhoSSt

• denied
  • White Belt
  • Small Tiger Kaju Instructor
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2005, 06:09:26 PM »
This is one of the things that I struggled with over and over. Sparring, especially point sparring is the worst thing that you can do when trying to build up pre-conscience response levels. Inevitably, you fight like you train and if you train in point sparring you're going to have a real problem in a real fight.

Another aspect of the redman suits I don't like; they numb the responses of the person in the suit. One the street, If I crack someone hard in the nuts, they should bend over (auto-kenetic  response), this sets my following strike. It is my opinion that fights happen in 3 distinct phases only:

1) Current position of both parties (which determines):
2) Attackers Strike (which determines):
3) Reaction. (which then causes new positions for both parties, so the cycle continues with attacker/defender roles swapping back and forth).

Now if I crack a guy in a redsuit in the nuts and he doesn't flinch, we have an artificial situation. Conversely, a teacher can't go around crushing unprotected groins at will either. So my take was always to instruct students to react as realistically as possible given a set of safety equipment and to strike as hard as possible within the confines of available safety equipment. This is compounded by the issue that if you get injuried in the class, defending yourself on the street is going to be problematic. I've never been on that felt that blood/teeth/bone fragments on the mats was vital to effective learning, but it might be necessary for effective survival.

As for intergrating women into this morass, my take was always that class was class and outside was outside. If they were serious about defending themselves then they needed to face a reality wherein there was the possibility of hard practice blows. If they can't take 1/2 - 3/4 power in the class then real life is going to be a real show stopper. The other issue is the 'inappropriate touching' issue. That skin is connected to that skin which I can tell you is eventually connected to something 'inappropriate'. ::) Get over it. Instructor and student BOTH need to get a grip. Should a instructor be able to touch (sometimes in those sensitive areas *gosh*) a female student? Yes, but both parties need to be aware of the reasons for the action. I generally explain, in front of the whole class, "Ok, I need to show you something, which means I have to touch you at place Z to demonstrate move W. Understand the reasoning for this?". Simple checking for understanding. And most female students, if informed timely and the Instructors aren't leering, drooling dolts, don't generally mind.

Kelly 'Ghosst' Rosato
Small Tiger Kaju Instructor. Robert Rapue, Ron Carlson, Bob Orlando Variety
http://www.ghostwheeltech.net/stkjkb.html

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.
-Voltaire

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2005, 10:06:07 PM »
I was just catching up on my reading.  I found this from Ghosst to be interesting:

"Another aspect of the redman suits I don't like; they numb the responses of the person in the suit. One the street, If I crack someone hard in the nuts, they should bend over (auto-kenetic  response), this sets my following strike. It is my opinion that fights happen in 3 distinct phases only:

1) Current position of both parties (which determines):
2) Attackers Strike (which determines):
3) Reaction. (which then causes new positions for both parties, so the cycle continues with attacker/defender roles swapping back and forth).

Now if I crack a guy in a redsuit in the nuts and he doesn't flinch, we have an artificial situation"

One of my instructors made an interesting point the other day about anticipated responses.  We may not always see a guy bend over from a good groin shot.  Why?  He might be on something like ICE.  Here, we have a huge problem with ICE.  The thing is, the attacker won't feel the strick if they are so strung out.  Sometimes the Redsuit might be good just for those reasons.  Makes the defender react differently as well.

Please, any law enforcement officers, correct me if I am wrong about ICE and other drugs causing people to not feel an attack.  If I am wrong, please accept my apologies.
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2005, 01:03:27 AM »
A nard shot in a true fight with a guy that sees it coming doesn't have much effect from what i have seen.  A sneaky shot yes, but some button fly jeans and adrenaline void the strike many times until the fight is over.  I have seen it Many times............maybe a nut shot is worse then a  nard shot...
GM John E Bono DC