Author Topic: To the MALES in the house  (Read 23580 times)

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
Re: To the MALES in the house
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2005, 09:43:56 AM »
In my experience, the "nut shot stun" seems to be overrated, particularly by women's self-defense seminars.  They act as if the nuts are the heating vent leading to the core of the Death Star - one shot kill leading to massive explosion.  Hardly the case; even a well-placed shot will not preclude a determined attacker from continuing, though it may slow him down.  Against someone who is on drugs or gets hit there a lot, it may not even be as effective as a shot to the windpipe.

Hence, hit 'em hard, hit 'em often, hit 'em everywhere.
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2005, 09:54:39 AM »
I agree 100%, nuts are over rated...well except maybe the beer nuts.....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2005, 10:40:41 AM »
Turkish: I don't want to go in there, he's a dangerous b*****d, taken too many disco biscuits in the heat of Russian disputations.  He's got as many of these nuts [grabs crotch] as those nuts [points to head].

Tommy: I don't care if he's got hazel nuts, I want a gun that works.
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2005, 10:55:20 AM »
Lacking a gun, thrust kicks, bear grab, knee kicks, whip strikes and back fists punchs (especially if grabbed behind) to the nuts seem like a good start off target...don't think it's over-rated as a target at all.  The only thing that could make it overrated as a target by a woman is if that's where she stopped.  If guys here can take power-driven shot to the nuts, more power to you but as a self-defense target it stays on my book as number one, next to biting the sh*t out of whatever my teeth get grab.
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2005, 11:12:21 AM »
That's a point of view that's been used for many years at Hand to Hand, and talked about by many outside the school Shirley.  I had discussed it myself with Coleen many years ago.  In a real fight with real adrenaline the pain factor is minimal.  Like I had stated if hit while not in a fight or not looking it's very effective, but then why are they being hit.  Talk to Cindy Levinson, or Esther from school, I train them to win the fight, and the contact is very real when we train.  You are more then welcome give me a call to drop by my school and fight one of our students and test it yourself....  Many fighting principles are based on theory, not from people that have been there done that.  Some arts train people with techniques that were once used to kick people off horses.  It probably worked back then, but myself have never been in a fight with a guy on a horse.  It's  great hit as a supplement not as a first line of defense.  I have taught at your school many times and I'm speaking from experience....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »
Sigung,
I would love to drop by your school when the opportunity presents itself to me...you're not that school with the motto "it's not been a good training if there's no blood on the floor", are you? :o.  And too, I look forward to discussing this with Sifu Cindy next time I see her in class.  Actually, we've got a bowl-a-thon going on at Albany Bowl tomorrow and so I'll be talking to some folks there about this, particularly Sifu Jen.

I don't think I would use a kick to the groin/nuts as a first line of defense, but certainly would be looking for an opportunity asap. An eye poke or a spear strike to the throat might be easier to get off first anyway, as well as a kick to the knee.  And just as you talk of the adrenaline factor of an attacker, the andrenaline factor would also be working for me as it has in the past. As of now, being attacked outside the kwoon, I would immediately take it to groundfighting--space permitting.  But then again, I am open to better and more successful ways of fighting.

I would've loved to have heard your discussion with Professor Coleen.

with respect,
Our children are watching us...
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2005, 12:15:57 PM »
Think Eyes......
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Enfemus

• Blue Belt
    • Life of Brian and Leslie Thompson
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2005, 02:00:24 PM »
No offesnse but the most the Girls can kick my butt in our school. I'm afraid of the instructors 14 yr old daughter who broke some guys ribs because he kept doing the same move over and over agian
Brian Thompson
Leadership Training - Green Belt
Preimer Martial Arts - Tum Pai

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2005, 02:02:27 PM »
Good times
GM John E Bono DC

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2005, 02:09:29 PM »
No offesnse but the most the Girls can kick my butt in our school. I'm afraid of the instructors 14 yr old daughter who broke some guys ribs because he kept doing the same move over and over agian

It's things like that that put a smile on a instructors face ;D
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Enfemus

• Blue Belt
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2005, 02:13:46 PM »
HAHA... Especially if it is your own daughter...
Brian Thompson

Offline SA_Kajukenbo

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2005, 10:56:00 PM »

If I may inquire as to the location, so as to have the correct context of your post.   Thank you.
Sifu John Hood KSDI#4001
5th Degree
Pastor - His Time Missions; Ebenezer SMC
"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under Heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Offline Enfemus

• Blue Belt
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2005, 06:48:57 PM »
Sorry it took so long,   I study at Mark Casey's Premier Martial Arts in Olympia, WA. My Sigung is Sigung Larson out of Vancouver.
Brian Thompson

Offline Enfemus

• Blue Belt
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2005, 04:15:52 PM »

If I may inquire as to the location, so as to have the correct context of your post.   Thank you.

Sifu John emailed me an made a good point. To clarify which lacation this took place. It was in sparring class and one of the adult students kept doing the same technique over and over again so the daughter "Jessica" timed him and then broke a few ribs with her kick. Keep in mind she can't be much taller than 5 feet maybe 90-100lbs at the most.

Respectfully

Brian
Brian Thompson