Author Topic: Master of Kajukenbo?  (Read 23302 times)

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
Master of Kajukenbo?
« on: August 22, 2005, 11:40:58 PM »
Greetings,
How many actual masters of Kajukenbo do you know? That would be the level where the practicioner has mastered all their techniques and forms. Before you answer, ask yourself have you actually seen the person perform this knowledge or do you simply acknowledge their rank and therefore consider them a master?
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
Re: Master of Kajukenbo?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 12:16:41 AM »
Professor,

If you mean "know" as in trained with, then I think I've trained, at one time or another, with at least 4 to 6 Masters of our art, and maybe 4 other Masters of other martial arts within a 5-year period. 

Our children are watching us...
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 01:00:52 AM »
If we're talking Pure Kaju, and I Trained with them...??.....Boy you have tough questions Prof P.  I train with GGM Gaylord, and trained years with Sigung Yoshii, both very clean, fast, powerful and could walk the walk.  I have trained here and there with more then I could count, but I think you need alot of time training with some one to know if they are truely a master.  To me a master means you can never get better, but I know that's not really how the term is used in the arts these days.  I hope to never be a master, but to be around alot of them, yourself included........
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 01:21:01 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:08:26 PM by badsifu »
Dan Tyrrell

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 10:43:14 AM »
He does sound like a master baiter
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 10:53:49 AM »
I would consider Prof. Walt Andrae, my instructor, to be a Master, but God help me if I ever call him that... doing so usually results in a kick to the knee for those who 'insult' his humility :)
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 02:54:29 PM »
Greetings,
How many actual masters of Kajukenbo do you know? That would be the level where the practicioner has mastered all their techniques and forms. Before you answer, ask yourself have you actually seen the person perform this knowledge or do you simply acknowledge their rank and therefore consider them a master?

That's a very hard one to answer.  Technically, in Kajukenbo the rank of "Sigung" is considered "master instructor".  So technically that leads one to assume that everyone in Kajukenbo above the rank of 5th degree is a master.  But most of us know that is not always the case.  As Ed Parker liked to say, "just cause the red shows, don't mean they know". 
I have seen many of our seniors teach in seminars, or on video tape.  And I feel that many of them are "masters" of what they were teaching at the time,  based on my observations of what they teach, how they teach, and how well they physically execute their techniques. 
Some of these masters I've personally witnessed are: GM Angel Garcia, GM Eric Lee, GM Al Dacascos, GM Gary Forbach, GM Ted Sotelo, Prof. Mitch Powell, GM Vince Black, and a few others.  All of these instructors presented the material in a way that I would expect from a Kajukenbo master.
But in a seminar setting you will never see a instructor demonstrate their knowledge of all the techniques of their branch of Kajukenbo.   
The only instructors that I have personally seen demonstrate all the requirements of their branch of Kajukenbo at one time or another have been; GM Gary Forbach, GM Richard Peralta, and Sigung Brian Yoshi.  And I've only viewed GM Peralta, and Sigung Yoshi on video tape.  But from seeing their knowledge of the techniques, their ability to teach and explain the techniques, and the quality in which they execute the techniques, I'm very comfortable in calling them a "master" of the Kajukenbo method they teach. 
But one can still be a master long after their physical ability to execute techniques in a expert fashion has diminished.  I've been in black belt workout sessions with Sijo Emperado, where he basically taught from a chair for 2-3 hours.  But even though he couldn't get up and perform the techniques, he verbally guided us and corrected us into doing the techniques in the fashion he wanted to see.  In one session, we spent 2 hours just doing Palama Set 11, until he was satisfied that we were now doing it exactly as he had taught it originally. 
Now none of us would say that Sijo was not a "master" of Kajukenbo because he could no longer physically perform the techniques. 
So, as our seniors grow older their physical abilities lesson.  But their technical knowledge, and teaching abilities increase greatly.       
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 03:08:03 PM »
Prof. Powell:

At this time I have seen none.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 12:32:13 PM »
Should I take the silence on the part of our other members as meaning they have not seen a Kajukenbo master?

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 01:07:55 PM »
Maybe, guess I better train harder myself, tough group.....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 02:42:48 PM »
I have not answered this yet as I am not sure how I want to.  I have trained with many GREAT martial artists.  Do I personally consider any of them MASTERS?  Well, that depends on what is considered a Master.  There are many out there that take on the title of Master, and that's great, but my definition of Master may be a little different.  I think that once you have mastered something there really isn't anything else to learn.  In that case, there are many masters of various Martial aspects, but since Kajukenbo is ever evolving and growing, I don't think I would call any Kajukenboists KAJUKENBO MASTERS.  There is so much knowledge to gain and so many aspects that can only come from experience that no one person can get it all.

These are just my personal thoughts, not to disrespect anyone out there.  Like I said, I have met and worked with many GREAT martial artists that I respect in many ways.
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 02:44:23 PM »
Should I take the silence on the part of our other members as meaning they have not seen a Kajukenbo master?

I have seen many who have shown mastery in the moment -- through making the difficult look easy, through knowledge, experience, and expertise, through uncanny intuition and luck, through determination, tough knocks,  and grace.

I see many masters, but I don't see masters of a martial art, I see them striving and reaching levels of mastering themselves.

First and foremost, you must be master of yourself.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 03:15:41 PM »
Maybe the old adage "Jack of all trades Master of none"  applies many times, I would agree I have seen many who have mastered certain moves or techniques, or were just awesome on a particular day or at a particular time.  Maybe we all have those moments of greatness.  Hopefully we notice it, or share it with others...
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »
Why is this so hard? The rank fo 5th degree is commonly considered the master rank. That means everyone in our art 5th degree and above should be a master of Kajukenbo. They should all have undeniable skill in this art. I don't agee with the statement that a master has nothing else to learn. A 6th degree should be better than a 5th and so forth. 5th should be that level where there is no longer any doubt.

I'm saying that someone like me, a professor of Kajukenbo, should be able to demonstrate a mastery of Kajukenbo by demonstrating the art as I practice it. So that means I should ahve a mastery of:
14 Palama Sets
21 Punch
15 Grab
15 knife
13 club
8 two-mans
6 three-mans
26 Alphabet Techniques

Kajukenbo for some means other things. The Ramos flavor has concentration forms. Gaylord has his version, etc. Ch'uan fa, Won hop kuen do, etc. Whatever it is, have you seen your teacher demonstrate a mastery of it? If you are a 5th degree or above, have you mastered your art?

Who are the masters of Kajukenbo?

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 03:51:11 PM »
Well I do know the punch arts, grab arts, pinians etc.....and have for a long long time....hummmm
GM John E Bono DC