Author Topic: Kajukenbo-related methods; Is it right to call them Kajukenbo?  (Read 8330 times)

Offline lairkenpo

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Hanshi P.J.Hary in green, me in black
Aloha!
 After 5 previous years of studying Goju-Shorei (the Sensei moved away), Siu Lum Pai (the Sifu finished his college degree, and went back to San Francisco), and having competed in Golden Gloves boxing under former Middleweight contender, Pete Mead (I competed in the 1971 Arkansas Finals, after which a concussion from an automobile accident caused me to have to quit for awhile), a friend recommended a dojo to me that taught what he referred-to as "Hawaiian Karate". The instructor, Patrick J. Hardy, was a Vietnam vet, having served 15 years in the USMC at the early stages of the Viet Nam War. ( He went back into the Corps in 1974 as a CQC and Close Weapons Instructor, and finished his career there.)

Mr.Hardy had trained in an eclectic form of Martial Art on the main island around 1956-1958, and everytime he was on the island thereafter. The instructor was William (Bill) Hikalea, who, along with his father, owned a bar frequented by Marines on the Windward side of the island. After seeing the crippled Bill Hikalea (polio) easily remove troublemakers from the bar, the Marines asked Hikalea if he would be willing to train them in his spare time. Hikalea acquiesced, and classes were taught on the roof of the bar, overlooking the beach, for 3 hours a session, and offered five days a week.

Hikalea began his training from his father, only known by Mr. Hardy as "Olohe" Hikalea, in techniques of the Lua (the ancient Hawaiian Martial Art) while he was a young boy. However, the majority of his training came from Joseph Emperado (prior to his murder), and then from Sijo Adriano Emperado for a while. After Sijo left the YMCA where Hikalea trained, Hikalea continued his training with William K. S. Chow, and his protege, William Chun. However, Hikalea later told his students that the majority of his own teaching was heavily based on the Emperado method (the name "Kajukenbo" was not in common use at the time). The katas were similar to the Pinians ("Palama Sets") Emperado taught, but were altered over the years. (I can't answer why...)

However, the self-defense techniques are true Kajukenbo (at least when compared to Sifu gary Forbach's video series). The only additions, are some of the "skin-peeling" and weapons techniques of the Lua.

The point of this rather long-winded letter is simply this...since I don't teach the original Katas of the Emperado Method, but everything else is the same training, is it fair to refer to the method I teach as Kajukenbo (or at least a version of it?) Over the years, I have met very few Kajukenbo instructors who teach things the exact same way...some don't teach Kata at all, and some teach kick-boxing or Mixed Martial Arts, and still call it Kajukenbo. I wanted approval before I did likewise. I simply refer to what I teach as "Hawaiian Kenpo".

My dojo is a private one, about 15 students, that I screen very carefully. I am a former police officer who worked undercover narcotics for several years, and I'm very careful who I take as a student. I teach out of my home, and have no desire to open a commercial school, nor do I wish to receive any type of promotion. My classes are for adults only, most in the law-enforcement and security professions, of which I am still a certified instructor, along with my traditional Martial Art training. We do not compete in tournaments, nor train in that manner. All of our training is heavy physical conditioning (as I said, my sensei was a Marine, and I still hold the Physical Fitness record at the Arkansas Police Academy after 11 years away. I am now 50 years old, and can still do everything I did to win that award back in 1985). The majority of our time is spent on heavy bag drills, focus glove and body pad drills, Thai pad drills, breakfalls, and the practice of the self-defense techniques of Kajukenbo, along with those I picked up over the years as a cop. If it won't save your life, I don't teach it.

We also offer Combat Handgunning Classes (something else I picked-up from my cop years), and the use of edged weapons in self-defense (I did some cross-training in Sayoc Kali). I still tecah classes for local law-enforcement and the local SWAT team.

I am not the kind of guy to "invent" his own system, promote himself to "Grandmaster", and rip-off the public. I have a good reputation as an honest Martial Artist, and plan to keep it that way. As a matter of fact, I hold the same Nidan Instructor Rank I was awarded by Sensei Hardy in 1974, having refused rank from other organizations on several occasions. I never wanted stripes... I wanted knowledge!

Can you shed some light on my dilemma? I want to give credit where credit is due, but only if it is the right thing to do.

Mahalo & Aloha!

Robert Windle
  The Lair Hawaiian Kenpo
  Jonesboro, AR  72404
  lairkenpo@yahoo.com
Robert L. Windle, Sifu (Retired)
6th Degree Black Belt, Kajukenbo / Hawaiian Kenpo
KSDI #5069
The Lair Dojo

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Re: Kajukenbo-related methods; Is it right to call them Kajukenbo?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 04:12:54 AM »
Well, Hakalea's on the Kajukenbo family tree.  So the first thing I would suggest is to contact Sijo, explain your situation, and join the K.S.D.I. .  Then get together the proper documentation so GM Gelinas can add your name to the Kajukenbo Family Tree. 
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline lairkenpo

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:59:38 AM »
Aloha!

Thank you very much for your quick response. I don't know how to contact Sijo Emperado, but, if I had the information, I would immediately follow your advice. My students and I would be more than proud to be under the K.S.D.I. organization. We have joined no Martial Art organizations in the past, finding the majority of them to be self-promoting, and not in sync with our philosophy of Martial Art. Also, using the term "Hawaiian Kenpo", we are too often thought to be an Ed Parker-related method, which we are not. (I respect them, but we're not one of them!) Like I said before, I prefer to give credit where credit is due.

Thanks for your help.

Mahalo & Aloha!

Robert L. Windle
KSDI #5069
The Lair Dojo

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 01:51:14 PM »
Aloha!

Thank you very much for your quick response. I don't know how to contact Sijo Emperado, but, if I had the information, I would immediately follow your advice. My students and I would be more than proud to be under the K.S.D.I. organization. We have joined no Martial Art organizations in the past, finding the majority of them to be self-promoting, and not in sync with our philosophy of Martial Art. Also, using the term "Hawaiian Kenpo", we are too often thought to be an Ed Parker-related method, which we are not. (I respect them, but we're not one of them!) Like I said before, I prefer to give credit where credit is due.

Thanks for your help.

Mahalo & Aloha!

Robert L. Windle

I'll email KSDI contact information to you.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 02:46:44 PM by John Bishop »
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline lairkenpo

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 09:26:42 AM »
To: Sigung John Bishop

Thank you very much for your help, Sigung Bishop. I am now a member of KSDI #5069. After over 35 years of research, you helped me to be able to resolve these issues with just a few words, where others didn't even show the common courtesy to respond. I will be forever in your debt, and that of GM Dechi Emperado.

I will continue to teach the same as I have in the past, but be able to relay to my students their Kajukenbo roots. After all these years as a law-enforcement and civilian instructor, I wouldn't know how to separate one from the other, anyway. Everything that I have done was to improve my original training where it was more practical for those not able to commit full-time to Martial Art. Consequently, it made those who were able to do so just that much better. If my memory is correct, I believe Sijo Emperado one said, "...add anything you want, if it helps, but remember...it's still Kajukenbo!"

My next question would be, who do I get in touch with to submit my personal information and history of training?

Again, thank you for all your help, Sigung Bishop!

Mahalo & Aloha!

Sibak Robert Windle
The Lair Kajukenbo Kenpo
(870) 931-0289
lairkenpo@yahoo.com
KSDI #5069
The Lair Dojo

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 01:29:59 AM »
No thanks needed.  I'm sure others here would have helped you out, if I hadn't.  I'm glad that after all these years you've been reconnected with the Kajukenbo family.   
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

Offline Sifu Julian

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • Civilize the Mind, Make Savage the Body!
    • Chinese Kajukenbo Self-Defense
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 01:29:44 PM »
I am now a member of KSDI #5069. After over 35 years of research, you helped me to be able to resolve these issues with just a few words, where others didn't even show the common courtesy to respond. I will be forever in your debt, and that of GM Dechi Emperado.

Sibak Robert,

Let me start off by saying that I am sorry this is a little belated.  :(   Second, let me say "welcome to the family!"   ;D

I was in a similar situation to you back in 1998 and have never regretted coming into the Kajukenbo O'hana.

I completely agree with your statement about not changing the way you train! Focus on the good things you are already doing. Then use the opportunities afforded by membership in K.S.D.I. to expand your knowledge of the parts of Kajukenbo you are missing. There are a lot of great Kajukenbo instructors here on this Board who would be happy to help you in that endeavor!

Blessings!

Aloha!

Sifu J.

P.S. My wife's entire family lives in Little Rock and her younger sister and her husband both graduated from ASU. Small World! If I am ever up your direction I will contact you.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 01:37:09 PM by Sifu Julian »
Professor Julian Sims
8th Red Belt/Black Border-Kajukenbo Self-Defense;
4th Red & White Belt-Bushido Kempo;
3rd Black Sash-SDS Jeet Kune Do;
3rd Degree Instructor-Chinese Wushu Assn.;
K.S.D.I. #837
K.O.A.-Sifu Society
O.K.O.-Lifetime #139

Offline renshimellor

• White Belt
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 05:14:04 PM »
Is it not true that all examples of kenpo,kempo and kajukenbo be traced back to sijo emperado and william k.s. chow? If this is true why can't there be one giant banner giving sijo emperado the recognition he so well deserves? yours truely renshi mellor.
Universal Kempo Kid AKA CHRISTOPHER MELLOR