Author Topic: United Studios of Self-Defense  (Read 19975 times)

Karazenpo

Re:United Studios of Self-Defense
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2003, 06:45:02 AM »
   After reading Mike Rose's last post........."I rest my case." ;)

sigungjoe

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2003, 07:57:09 PM »
I did a survey here in Las Vegas on United schools. I found that they charge right about 245.00 a month. It allows them to train for 2 days a week. I found that the students have to train with others that are the same rank. They cannot train with a higher or lower rank. They must have 6 private lessons before the can test, and these privates are 50.00 an hour. they must also buy videos for them to complete homework which must be done before they can test. again there is a cost for these videos, and i think it was 25.00. then their testing fees vary according to what rank they are testing for. But I think that the yellow belt fees are 25.00.
Now..... if you want, you can do the academy where you wear a red belt. no one knows what rank you really are, but its a fast track to getting your black belt. It also allows you to go to their college which teaches you their marketing strategies so you may open up your own school under them. Once a month you train with a Master that shows techniques to you, but doesnt train with you. Now red belts or academie students have to also teach classes, so in theorie, a orange belt could be teaching a green belt and no one would be the wiser for it. And that once a month training only cost you 100.00 for the day.They also have 2 tournaments a year that is closed to anyone that is not a united school student. they also cannot enter other tournaments.
Ive watched a few of their classes and they claim to be the same as what kajukenbo does, but would not let us share techniques with them. Maybe its different in other parts of the country, but here, this is what I have found.
Now imho i dont care what other schools do, if they want to charge large amounts for their classes thats on them. what didnt sit well with me was when they compared their techniques to ours, and said they were almost the same.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 07:59:15 PM by sigungjoe »

Offline Kenmpoka

• White Belt
    • Martial Arts Institute
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2003, 09:56:12 PM »
Greetings all,

I just read the first and the 4th page on this subject. At first I tried to ignore the subject and not write any comments, but I must say that I cannot pass.

I don't care if USSD charges $1 or $300 a month. I would not study with them. You would be short changed any way you look at it. This organization is all about money and that is all. The system is watered down, where only the real talented can pick up a few things if they do research on their own. The rest are just there to pay the RENT and fill the pockets of the leaders and the investors.

The instructor's training program is worth nothing, because the teachers have not been correctly trained themselves and most have just gone through ranks just like everyone else. The only requirement to be a Chief Instructor is to have $10K franchise fee.

The black belt tests are ridiculousy long where grown men puke, cry and just move like zombies. How can you show any technical abilities or knowledge when your running around for eight hours straight. Oh please don't tell me the tests are about will power. Then which test is about technical abilities, yellow belt? or the shallow and wrongly taught training sessions!

There is no standard of curriculum set across this organization. Don't get me started on the RED belt, please.
although I must say that the east coast schools now under the guidance of Mr. Damascus (sp) are in much better shape.

In my 27 years at martial arts and having studied a few systems (including Shaolin Kempo) with their respective top teachers, I have yet to come accross such a sad state for a martiat arts organization.

Salute,
Peter Teymouraz
Martial Arts Institute
http://community.webtv.net/pteymouraz

Karazenpo

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2003, 08:51:27 AM »
I have to agree with Peter Teymouraz for the most part. The instructor's college they send black belts too are not to make you good instructors but to make you good businessmen. From what I understand also the chief instructors are not seasoned enough and are basically taught the 'surface arts' of Shaolin Kempo. I understand to get experience everyone has to start somewhere but there should be more guidance from the organization. I also agree with Peter that the only students that will make out are those that have the talent and initiative to take things further on there own, however, again in agreement, its not worth the money right now no matter what they charge, generally speaking. I mean I'm sure there is some 'hidden talent' there running some of their schools who are excellent instructors but imho, they're still not worth that kind of money! These talents will eventually wake up and smell the coffee, leave the organization, hook up with a solid instructor and do very well. I don't know what their black belt tests are like but I will say this. In most schools the chief instructor promotes students to black belt. I realize that some of the chains have to go to a specific senior if not the head honcho himself and be tested there and by him. Like I said, though, in most cases we promote our own students. I really don't think testing is a question of one's ability for if we teach our students and are the one's responsible for putting them up for rank shouldn't we already have that answer when we give the okay for the student to test? If I decide today to put someone up next month then I have already decided on the student's ability. There will be no significant changes in that student's abilities in one month. Why would I put up a student for black belt if I question his ability to be at that level? To me, it's a test of spirit. I've made up my mind on the student's ability when I pretest him/her. Now, I will test them for 'heart'. The first dan test in my opinion should be extremely enduring and punishing to see how the student performs under stress and physical exhaustion. It's a more 'civil' way to duplicate the actual physiological and mental reactions a student will go through in a brief but all out life and death battle with a worthy opponent or opponents. Most any martial artist after years of training can perform for you nearly picture perfect when they are fresh and in a fairly relaxed setting but its when you attempt to 'cloud' their minds with mental and physical stress that you see pretty much how they will hold up in actual combat. Again, to me testing is a simulation of the chemicals that flow through the body during the flight/fight response. If they fall apart in the test, they will surely fall apart in the street. ;) It is a test of spirit, a test of heart, you should already know the student's abilities and actual you should also have a pretty good idea of what he/she is made of too by then. If you have to send your students to your instructor or senior for promotion, then I agree with Peter, ability has to be judged because he has not trained this student or put him up but merely going on the opinion of someone else. Respectfully, Shihan Joe  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 09:30:19 AM by Shihan Joe Shuras »

Offline nate smith

• White Belt
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2006, 11:01:23 AM »
Greetings all,

I just read the first and the 4th page on this subject. At first I tried to ignore the subject and not write any comments, but I must say that I cannot pass.

I don't care if USSD charges $1 or $300 a month. I would not study with them. You would be short changed any way you look at it. This organization is all about money and that is all. The system is watered down, where only the real talented can pick up a few things if they do research on their own. The rest are just there to pay the RENT and fill the pockets of the leaders and the investors.

The instructor's training program is worth nothing, because the teachers have not been correctly trained themselves and most have just gone through ranks just like everyone else. The only requirement to be a Chief Instructor is to have $10K franchise fee.

The black belt tests are ridiculousy long where grown men puke, cry and just move like zombies. How can you show any technical abilities or knowledge when your running around for eight hours straight. Oh please don't tell me the tests are about will power. Then which test is about technical abilities, yellow belt? or the shallow and wrongly taught training sessions!

There is no standard of curriculum set across this organization. Don't get me started on the RED belt, please.
although I must say that the east coast schools now under the guidance of Mr. Damascus (sp) are in much better shape.

In my 27 years at martial arts and having studied a few systems (including Shaolin Kempo) with their respective top teachers, I have yet to come accross such a sad state for a martiat arts organization.

Salute,

I've trained with them and a villari instructor and ussd changed almost everything.

If you want a school with ussd it's $135,000 and you have to give 33% back to the company.

It's a shame to what has happened to such a good art :'(

Palma

Re: United Studios of Self-Defense
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2006, 01:18:11 AM »
I cannot believe I just wasted my time reading this entire thread!

:P