Author Topic: Christian Ethics and the Martial Arts  (Read 10788 times)

Offline SA_Kajukenbo

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
Re: Christian Ethics and the Martial Arts
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2005, 08:43:28 PM »
.....In another forum I'd be happy to discuss all of the proofs and evidence against evolution.  Which, is itself, a religion.
Sifu John Hood.... I am sorry, but I have to comment on your statement here.  You are incorrect.  Having worked in science for more than 20 years and investigating all of the issues involved, giving seminars to numerous groups (including religious, public and scientific) and debating this issue in education panels.  It is clear that this type of comment arises from a poor understanding of the issues involved.  I certainly respect you as a martial artist, but you are discussing my field of expertise.  It is a real shame that questions regarding the validity of a proven theory, i.e. evolution, have arisen from individuals that do not understand the facts.  Please disregard whatever information you have been given to the contrary.  Feel free to have your own beliefs, of course, everyone is entitled to that.   However, questioning the validity of evolution is very similar to questioning the validity of gravity.  I don't mean any disrespect, but this is a much more concrete issue than most people have been led to believe.

This is the reason that I felt that I must respond.  We are dealing with this issue in our elementary schools at present and everyone on this forum votes/discusses these issues.  I am religious myself (Christian), but that has not clouded my logic and judgement in this matter.  Please don't damage the future of our children by endagering their potential to understand how complex things like evolution work by confusing fact with beliefs of individuals. 8)

As I said earlier.  I'll be happy to discuss this either via email or in a different forum.
Sifu John Hood KSDI#4001
5th Degree
Pastor - His Time Missions; Ebenezer SMC
"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under Heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
    • Tactical Kung Fu and MMA
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2005, 12:24:46 AM »
I will start a discussion on my message board, under the Ask Sihing Jason section, where we can discuss this:  www.goldsmithkungfu.com/phpbb2/index.php  You will need to register to post.
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
5th Degree, Wun Hop Kuen Do Kung Fu
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
Durham NC and Philadelphia PA
www.tkfmma.com

TimothyVargas

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2005, 12:44:37 AM »
Sifu Jeffrey wrote in part:

"It is a real shame that questions regarding the validity of a proven theory, i.e. evolution, have arisen from individuals that do not understand the facts.  Please disregard whatever information you have been given to the contrary.  Feel free to have your own beliefs, of course, everyone is entitled to that.   However, questioning the validity of evolution is very similar to questioning the validity of gravity.  I don't mean any disrespect, but this is a much more concrete issue than most people have been led to believe.

This is the reason that I felt that I must respond.  We are dealing with this issue in our elementary schools at present and everyone on this forum votes/discusses these issues.  I am religious myself (Christian), but that has not clouded my logic and judgement in this matter.  Please don't damage the future of our children by endagering their potential to understand how complex things like evolution work by confusing fact with beliefs of individuals."

****Sifu Jeffrey,
Proven theory?   Since you have worked and investigated ALL of the issues involved, then you also know that you would have to define "evolution" according to what your understanding is.    There are usually misunderstanding right from the beginning of the discussion because those involved in a debate have differing opinions as to what "evolution" is.   Please define evolution for me.

Thank you.

Timothy

TimothyVargas

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2005, 12:46:23 AM »
Sorry folks, didnt see the other posts to take this issue to another forum.

Timothy

Offline Spidey

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Be a Good Example!
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2005, 03:46:35 AM »
http://standfortruthministries.org/war_viewpoint_article.htm

Here is an article I wrote a couple of years ago that was published in the Charlotte Observer when I was living there. I'm not posting to start up a discussion on the ethics of war, only to add to the discussion of self defense and Christian ethics.
Shawn Hayes
6th degree Kajukenbo Gaylord Method, GM Pete Morales
Balintawak Escrima Cuentada System, GM Taboada

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2005, 10:28:14 AM »
Great article. It was right inline with what is being discussed here.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline SA_Kajukenbo

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2005, 10:30:59 AM »
http://standfortruthministries.org/war_viewpoint_article.htm

Here is an article I wrote a couple of years ago that was published in the Charlotte Observer when I was living there. I'm not posting to start up a discussion on the ethics of war, only to add to the discussion of self defense and Christian ethics.

Very good article.
Sifu John Hood KSDI#4001
5th Degree
Pastor - His Time Missions; Ebenezer SMC
"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under Heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

TimothyVargas

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2005, 02:24:05 AM »
http://groups.google.com/group/aus.religion.christian/msg/94b97689f3eab2a2?output=gplain

Nice article.  The link above gives more of an even-handed approach with historical references for those who dont mind reading a few paragraphs.

Timothy

Offline hunter

• Blue Belt
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2005, 10:54:57 PM »
As I understand it:
"do unto others as others do unto you,"
is more "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Done Unto You"...
Which makes it less tit for tat, and more ethical in choices we
make in our interactions and exchanges among people.
Re-read the two phrases and note the big difference.

As to the following concepts:
Eye for Eye
Turn the Other Cheek

The first makes the whole world blind. 
The second is a reminder to be slow to anger.  VERY slow.
As there is MUCH wisdom gained in patiently projecting
calmness and coolness.

There's  a lot in The Tao that can teach us about  the nuances
of Christianity.

Imagine studying Judo (or TangSooDo, or...) more to understand the greater whole of Kajukenbo...!
Boston
(where kajukenbo is rare)

Offline hunter

• Blue Belt
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2005, 11:01:12 PM »
Supplementally,
Immanuel Kant, the philosopher
was big on Ethics.  He proposed
the following notion that WE in
SOCIETY abide by the phrase:
"Do Unto Others as You Would
Rather See Done in Society at
Large."  In other words, take
the wider picture into account:
Do you really want a majority in
Society to act the way you are
contemplating at present (ie:
"trip that old lady crossing the street
because she reminds me of my school
principal that I hated when I was a kid"
or "help that old lady across the street
as that lends for a more gracious dispostion
in myself as well as for society at large if
others did more of this behavior that I am
willing and able to now undertake at this
moment.")....? 

A twist on the Golden Rule that Jesus was imparting.
Boston
(where kajukenbo is rare)