Author Topic: Pregnant Warriors  (Read 5805 times)

Offline Fluid Dragon

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
Pregnant Warriors
« on: December 25, 2005, 05:14:29 AM »

This might sound funny coming from a guy but I want to see something in the cafe about pregnant students training. One of my friends in class trained while pregnant until the night she had to be rushed to the hospital to have her baby! And she just finished training that night too! I have to say that she is really dedicated to the art and that carrying the baby while training must have been really hard.

Actually what I wanted to see on the cafe was how a dedicated student like my friend could train while pregnant and not injure themselves or the baby and what exercises they could and could not do. I thought of this because during her first pregnancy, yes I said first, she was looking for information on this but had a hard time finding anything on the subject. Most of the exercises involving punches and some kicks she did but no falls, rolls or jumping. She did the forms and the weapons forms but no sparring. She also did the self defenses except ones that involved rolling.

Aside from the physical exercises I would like to see something about the stretches that pregnant students can and cannot perform. If I remember correctly when pregnant the body lets out a certain chemical or something that may allow women to stretch further but runs the risk of causing injury because of this extra flexibility. I have to find that information again...

Anyway, I have great respect for my friend and women in the martial arts so I think this would be of great benifit to others and maybe her  since she just had her second baby this past November. By the way, this is for you Laura Castro.

Sibak Harold
Sibak Harold Sy student of Professor Frank Bianchi

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
Re: Pregnant Warriors
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:01:12 PM »
What a great thread to discuss! :D
A little over 2 years ago I was a pregnant warrior, teaching adults and children. This worked well until the end of my seventh month when it became more difficult for me to maintain my balance and not feel someones little head using my pelvis as a pillow. The main problem was that I already had alot of back and hip strain carrying a large child  (on a small body) and then I was putting more strain on my loosened hips when I would demonstrate kicks. Walking became intolerable at times. My doctor finally said NO KICKING because I was forcing my body to find a balance that was never consistent when it should have been focusing on structure for the baby.

The hardest part of self-defense when pregnant is that your partner is at a dissadvantage because they cannot safely practice their technique.  I also found that I had to modify my techniques as well.  Once when we did a demo at a university one faculty member was greatly disturbed that I was in the self-defense portion-even though my partner was my 10 year old son and I defended myself against him (and he was very careful).

Forms were interesting and I found myself with balance issues there as well.  I have seen pregnant women do forms and the main concern is that a move involves an inverted position or a position that they cannot remove themselves from. I have heard some criticism from that arena as well, especially during a tournament when another black belt thought it was a sympathy bid for first place.
I abstained from judgement-I was pregnant at the time and was forbidden from competing (but I thought she did well).

Stretching concerns are after the first trimesterwhich involve no lying flat on back, no inverted positions (head down-downward facing dog, toe touches) or positions that would restrict breathing.  Because of loose joints taking it easy is best because it haunts the pregnant person later at bedtime.

Finally, after baby is born, no training for 6 weeks!  Some new mothers want to push it and end up hurting themselves worse (torn stitches and infections come to mind).  :(
One final note, being pregnant doesn't mean that a women is weak or "delicate" it just means that she has to adust physically and mentally.  Gaining personal awareness is important during that time, and will be good practice when the baby comes (and arms are occupied).

Thanks for the inquiry, and I hope other martial arts mama's have stories to tell too.
  ;)
Sheryl Baber Evans
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Offline Kim Kingi

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 05:00:20 PM »
My mother was a pregnant warrior with my brother Robert.  Nothing changed but, her belly.  Then after she delivered him my Dad (GM Rick Kingi) carried him in a pouch all day during the class.  Soon as he can walk he was working out too.   :D
Kim Kingi
Kingi's Kajukenbo
www.Kingi-Kajukenbo.com

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 11:15:01 PM »
Hi Folks,

Well, I gotta disagree on this one.  I wasn't taking martial arts at the time I was pregnant with my sons, but I did exercises and stretches specifically for pregnant women.  Practicing martial arts while pregnant is a different matter to me.  All the women who have spoken here seemed to have positive experiences.  Evenso, I would not want to partner with a pregnant woman as I think the risk is too great.  Who's to say I won't slip and fall?  Or they won't?  Course a fall is not the end of the world-- I fell backwards while sitting down in my office during the last stages of my pregnancy with my youngest son.  I don't think he's the worse for it although he is a little off-the-wall ::), but who's to say why.  Anyway, while practicing our art, we're supposed to be learning control but I'd rather not learn it when a life could be at stake because of a mistake I made.

I'm okay training with women after the pregnancy and they return to class.  I had one classmate who had a cesarean so we were always cognizant of that when partnering up.  I think it's the thought that I could hurt a child by accident-- and it only takes a second --that makes me back off from training with women who are pregnant.  So yeah, warming up exercises, practicing forms, but anything that calls for partnering on drills-- kicks, punches, etc. would be out for me whether I was the pregnant one or not.

Respectfully,
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline kajumama

• White Belt
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:21:23 PM »
Hi, I'm an instructor and I just gave birth 6 weeks ago via c-section. I continued teaching up till 7 months and I'm fixing to start back! I miss it!
Anyway, I researched to see what was ok to do and asked my dr. Of course, you always want to make sure your student has had an 'ok' from their dr. to coninue training. Just make sure they aren't hurting or feel any discomfort or pain, if they do they should stop immediately. Stretching - butterfly stretch is a no-no. Make sure they don't stretch farther than normal or it can cause injury and the other stretching position that were listed in the last posts. After the second trimester anything with jumping up and down is out and of course no punches or kicks to the stomach either. I did katas and rolls thru my second trimester. But of course each person is different. Most important would just be for them to ok it with their Dr.
Adriana
1st Degree Black Belt
under Master Jay Vera
Way of the Master MAC

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 10:39:04 PM »
Congratulations Kajumama!  I can't think of any greater gift I ever received from God than that of my sons.  Many blessings and much joy to you and your family. 8)
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline Sifu Angel Herrera

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • UNITY IS HERE
    • Kajukenbo Kosho Ryu Kenpo in Vermont
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 08:06:48 PM »
Kajukenbo Cafe Members:

The following picture is from two of my VT students. The one on the left is Kathleen Willey and the one on the right is Sarah Mclaughlin. When this picture was taken in June 2005, Kathleen was already one week overdue for her delivery:

She gave birth to a healthy baby boy three days after this picture was taken.

Best Regards

Sifu Angel Herrera
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:17:50 AM by Sifu Angel Herrera »
Sifu Angel Herrera
3rd Degree Kajukenbo Kosho Ryu
Vermont Kajukenbo Kosho Ryu Kenpo
www.xtrememartialart.com