Author Topic: A nice article in our local paper  (Read 8938 times)

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
A nice article in our local paper
« on: March 21, 2006, 01:29:02 PM »
How cool.  One of my student's Mom interviewed me for a feature article in the local newspaper.  The best part is Professor Joel Purvis, my instructor and dear friend showed up minutes before.  He hasn't been by in for many months.  Joel is legendary for his memory and was able to better fill in the history making it an even better article.  Here's the link, there are a few errors in the article, but I think she did a great job.  Oh by the way, I was in a lower then it looks stance, she took the picture laying on the mat, so yes sir, it was a low stance.  We tried a kicking picture, but my feet are so big  :), it blocked the shot.

Terry

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
Re: A nice article in our local paper
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 01:36:34 PM »
Nice article.  I enjoyed reading it.
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Eugene Sedeno

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
  • Teacher
    • Sedeno's School of Self-Defence
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 01:48:54 PM »
Congratulations!

Nice picture and a great article.  Your students, I’m sure, are very proud.
GM Eugene Sedeno
9th DBB
Perpetual Student

Offline Kajukenbo.marc

• White Belt
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 02:42:49 PM »
Interesting fact that I did not realize, "Another way the discipline is different from other martial arts is that students must be at least 18 years old before they can test for a black belt".  Is this a common practice through out most schools/dojo's?

Great article!
Marc Acosta
Rex's Combined Self-Defense Arts - San Diego
Associated with Abad's Martial Arts International
As real as it gets!

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 02:52:34 PM »
It's pretty common for Kajukenbo schools.  I know of a few that are more relaxed about it.  My old school had 16 for student black and then 18 for 1st degree.  I've kept that the same.
Dan Tyrrell

rcollette

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 03:04:31 PM »
What a great article! Congrats ;)

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 10:31:57 AM »
I couldn't find it either
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 01:30:15 PM »
It might be in archives... anyone have any luck with that? ???
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 01:32:13 PM »
Nope ran a search and then looked by date.....no luck.....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 02:09:33 PM »
It was worth a try....  :-\
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 02:46:41 PM »
I would imagine it has now gone to the great old news articles in the sky.  We're a small newspaper area (hey they just recently got color photo's, anyway, I had copied the article and saved it in word.)  The picture didn't copy, but the article did, so here is the copy.

A confidence builder: dojo owner teaches self-defense
By Sarah Lunsford
Monday, March 20, 2006 9:55 PM CST

Friendly, energetic, confident and caring are all words that describe Terry McBride, owner and Sifu, which means teacher, of the Mother Lode Martial Arts Academy.

A fifth generation Calaveras County resident, Terry graduated from Calaveras High School, and, like many, took a life detour before realizing her dream of owning her own martial arts academy.

An interest in martial arts grew in McBride from the time she was a teenager, but she did not have the opportunity to pursue that interest until she was 24 years old. A flyer in front of a local grocery store advertising beginning martial arts classes in the discipline of Kajukenbo helped her to take the first step on a journey that continues to this day.

The timing was right, she said, when she saw that flyer her Sifu, Professor Joel Purvis, had put up. She took down the information and began her studies that have lasted 22 years and have led her to achieve her current level of fifth degree black belt.

“He was the one that taught me that women can fight,” Terry said about Sifu Joel.

Terry said the training was so rigorous when she began, that for the first two weeks she had to crawl up the stairs to her home after coming home from class.

Kajukenbo is the original mixed martial art that combines five other martial art disciplines - Kempo, Judo, Jujitsu, Karate and Boxing - inclusive of both American and Chinese styles. It started out as a form of street self defense in one of the toughest neighborhoods of Honolulu in 1947 and teaches its adherents to not only deflect an attack, but to attack their attacker.

The strict segregation of the martial arts at that time forced the first five founders to practice in secrecy, taking the strengths of their own disciplines and combining them to form the new art.

Sijo Adriano Emperado, who came from the discipline of Kempo, was one of the first five and is credited with being the founder of Kajukenbo.

Sifu Joel said it is the only martial art that was developed for Americans by Americans, who generally have larger bodies than that of their martial arts brethren from Asian countries. Because of this difference in body types, black belts in the discipline tend to be physically larger than those in other disciplines.

Another way the discipline is different from other martial arts is that students must be at least 18 years old before they can test for a black belt, regardless of the age they begin training. This is to ensure that the students have a basic level of maturity to understand what can be done with what they have been taught and when it should be used.

“There’s a level of commitment to this art,” said Terry.

It is a discipline in which students compete against themselves and where they have come from in their own training. The students are not held to a martial arts ideal or standards of other students, as long as they do the best with the forms that they can do, they can achieve and move forward in the art.

“This art can accommodate different body types and different abilities,” said Terry.

When watching Terry teach a class, it is not uncommon for her to tell her students that she will only let them test when they are ready to test, not necessarily when they think the time is right for them to test. She frequently reminds her students that she will not allow them to test to fail. She will make sure they are at the ability level to succeed when they test for another belt level.

Coming from Hawaii, the discipline embraces the Ohana sprit where every student of the art is considered part of the Kajukenbo family.

“You become family (and) you help each other out,” Terry said.

Those who practice Kajukenbo practice their discipline all the time. For example, when a woman walks with confidence and is aware of her surroundings because of techniques she has learned in class, she is practicing Kajukenbo. When a student chooses to cross the street and avoid what could be a dangerous situation, then that student is practicing Kajukenbo.

Terry began teaching others the art through self-defense classes for women in 1995. At that time, she began teaching the classes locally at Sifu Joel’s dojo, which means martial arts school in Japanese, and various other local locations. She also traveled to Stockton to teach the classes at the University of the Pacific.

“Those are fun because you get to see women change,” she said about the self-defense classes.

Although she harbored a dream of owning her own martial arts academy, she worked as a travel agent for almost 20 years at the Calaveras County Airport where her mother, Kathy Zancanella, is the airport manager.

“It was a dream, but one of those dreams you never think is going to happen,” Terry said.

Then September 11 happened and people stopped traveling the way they had before. It was that downturn in business, coupled with her own Sifu changing careers and offering her his own dojo, that provided her with the opportunity to open her own academy.

Until that point, Terry had limited experience working with children and found that teaching them was a completely different experience than teaching adults.

Because of the nature of Kajukenbo, she found she had to come up with ways to teach the children a less aggressive form of the art as well as keep their attention and make it fun.

She said making the discipline child friendly has been a learning experience. She has come up with games that help the children in their forms, as well as teaching them techniques to deal with bullies. A powerful words element of her classes teaches children what words such as respect and confidence are and how to put them into practice in their daily life.

A confidence builder for the children is the participation in local events and parades, such as this past weekend’s Murphys Irish Days parade, the Soroptimist Youth parade and Airport Days where they perform their forms and have received crowd favorite awards.

“I absolutely love working with kids,” she said.

The students at the academy range in age from 6 to 58 and although the majority of her students are children, she does offer classes for adults in the evening.

For information on classes offered, call 736-9525.

I thought she had done a great job.  And for Professor Joel to show up after not being around for 6 months or so, put in his two cents was icing on the cake.
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 03:02:38 PM »
That's an Awesome article Sifu Terry
GM John E Bono DC

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »
Terrific article and story Sifu.  I especially liked how you addressed the difference in teaching children and adults.  Lots of folks think children are just little adults...wrong :o.  And, how wonderful that your teacher left his school to you.  Congratulations on everything 8).

Respectfully,

Our children are watching us...
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline Mariel Maeso

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 03:02:27 PM »
Excellent article!
University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez Campus
1st Degree Black Belt
Under Sigung Jerry Mendez 7th Degree Black Belt
www.kajukenbopuertorico.com
www.kajukenbohispano.com
Hapkido & Farang Mu Sul 
Under Master Dennis Vega

Offline DProsser

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Psalm 144:1
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 12:22:34 AM »
Thanks for posting the article, it is a tribute to all Kajukenbo practictioners.
I enjoy being apart of the Ohana, I feel very privledged. ;D
Deb Prosser
GM Bobby Rimando, Instr.
SGM Alex Rimando
Rimando Martial Arts, Las Vegas, Nv