Author Topic: How to leave a school properly...  (Read 5273 times)

Offline pea_chee_keen

• White Belt
How to leave a school properly...
« on: September 15, 2005, 08:01:33 PM »
I am going to have to discuntinue my training at the school I am going to and would like to know if there is a traditional and non offenssive way to do this. I decided to post here because I am going to a Tum Pai style school. I want to let my teacher know that I value the training and the lesson's that he taught me and that I respect him. If anyone can please help me out with idea's that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Peacheekeen
Jamie

Offline dastars

• Blue Belt
  • Captain Law School
Re: How to leave a school properly...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 09:43:29 PM »
I think echoing the sentiments of your post should be sufficient, though I don't profess to speak for Tum Pai as a style - it may have some tradition.

Unless you're leaving after a bad experience, or are going to compete against your old instructor by opening your own school in the immediate area without his blessing (for which you should be shot, by the way), a sincere thank you, maybe a card or gift certificate, would likely cement the relationship you shared as a good, respectful one.

Just my .02 :)
Geoff Hurd - Student of Professor Walt Andrae (SGM Halbuna) - Augusta, GA

University of Pittsburgh Kajukenbo

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 12:59:11 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:13:52 PM by badsifu »
Dan Tyrrell

Offline kogastyle

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 11:09:03 AM »
It seems that you are leaving on good terms and that you probably have at least a decent relationship with your instructor.  If that's the case and you explain it in a tactful manner your instructor will probably have a lot of respect for you.  I personally have left 2 different schools, once I told the instructor and once I did not.  Now, my personal reasons for doing each are irrelevent to the discussion, but I would highly reccomend speaking to him in person.  Trust me, if you just bail and say nothing, you'll most likely run into an awkward situation at some time in the future. 
Sam Warren - 3rd Degree under Grandmaster Walt Andrae

Offline supertim2003

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • "That's going to leave a mark"
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 11:40:56 PM »
Hey Jamie, I think it is very important to speak with your Sifu.  If you are training in St. Helens I am sure the Sifu Rask would want you to be up front with him.  I don't know your reasons for leaving and that is not my business, but I think by virtue of your post it sounds like you want to do the right thing.  Call him and ask to meet with him and just be honest its really all you can do.
Tim Morrow 1st Degree Black Sash Kajukenbo Tum Pai

Offline Mark Dinkel

• Blue Belt
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 11:10:28 AM »
This is all prefaced on the fact that your sifu cares. There was a post elsewhere on this website stating something to the effect that if your instructor does not care for you or respect you find another. In such a case, what good would it do to speak with your sifu or one of his underlings. It will serve no purpose but to further destroy your self respect.

Caution should also be observed when insisting that a student have a "release" note from a former SIFU. Something about fair competition and anti-discrimination sticks in my mind. If a student leaves one school for whatever reason. Why should they be barred from learning the art elsewhere? Seems to me that would be counterproductive to giving respect and props to the founding fathers, who I am sure, would like their arts taught to anyone willing to learn them and put in the training.

Afterall, how respectful are you being to masters when you treat others with disrespect for whatever reason? But I guess this is a personal rant that probably belongs elsewhere in this forum, if at all.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:22:44 AM by Mark Dinkel »
Student black belt
Sifu GM Vince Black
Orange belt
Instructor Sensei Tobias