Author Topic: Ernie Reyes Jr. is in the show Final Fu tonight.  (Read 6117 times)

Offline MARK GERRY

• Global Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • WORLD MARTIAL ARTS MASTERS
Ernie Reyes Jr. is in the show Final Fu tonight.
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:29:56 PM »
http://www.mtv2.com/#series/20597

Ernie Reyes Jr. is in the show Final Fu tonight.

CLICK HERE> MTV2#series/20597

It airs everyday on MTV and MTV2, starting today (Monday, July 17th), please set your TIVO/DVR to record! Help make the ratings high for this show!

Starts July 17th

7:30pm on MTV2

11pm on MTV

PICS OF ME , MY SON , ERNIE REYES JR AND HIS DAD ERNIE REYES
....................................................................................................
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do

Offline Sifu_Tony

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
Re: Ernie Reyes Jr. is in the show Final Fu tonight.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 02:03:51 PM »
I was watching this show last nite. Its not that bad of a show. But I'm still chuckled about that guy that made up his own art, i think it was called "emc"?????? Just dont know what to say about that. Anyways, I wish I still had the video when I fought Ernie Reyes Jr. in a tourney when we were kids. Not sure where it is.
Navalta Kajukenbo
Perris, Ca

Offline DonM

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:15:35 AM »
If I recall correctly the "EMC" was for Eclectic Monkey Style ? Looks like from his salute he has some Mauy Thai thrown in?
Really short episodes, so far it's been a physical challange and a continuous point sparring but I am hoping that they will actually show some some other aspects of each martial art.

Offline joe_nobody

• White Belt
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:16:42 AM »
If I recall correctly the "EMC" was for Eclectic Monkey Style ? Looks like from his salute he has some Mauy Thai thrown in?
Really short episodes, so far it's been a physical challange and a continuous point sparring but I am hoping that they will actually show some some other aspects of each martial art.

I think it's called "Eclectic Monkey Combat"
Will Maxton
Chinese Kickboxing Kali/JKD

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 11:04:56 AM »
The shows well done, but it's pure TKD point sparring, and the arts are 90% TKD based.  Like someone mention, making up your own art at his age and with his huge ego....the boys needs some Kaju humility....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Sensei Mike

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »
They probably wouldn't let any kaju people on the show. We would all probably get DQ'd for head, groin and excessive contact.  ;D

I'm surprised there all not wearing hogu's. ;) and full head gear.

I've seen that guy Matt before on the Discovery Channel, on a show about martial arts. Not surprised at all that he is on the show. I wonder if we will see any grappling or randori on the show. I'm not too impressed by the show, but I'll probably keep watching it anyhow. Just in case they show something cool.

As for as the EMC style, it should be called egotistical monkey combat. :P

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 01:31:40 PM »
I like your EMC definition...
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Sensei Mike

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 01:42:23 PM »
I have to credit you with half the idea, your comment about his ego made me think of it. :)

Offline MVPMatt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 12:42:54 AM »
The show is pretty pathetic, IMHO.  I have lots of respect for Ernie Reyes, Jr., but this show looks like they were only able to find one solid competitor (Matt), and the rest were all they could come up with.  It almost seems like a TKD promo as the challenges are designed around board breaking, jump kicks, etc.

The fighting was weak.  The winners won because they were the first to realize they needed to use their hands and feet, instead of feet only.  I wanted in just to punch away at these poor souls who just couldn't get it - maybe knocking it into them would work.  Also, if you noticed, both of the judges for the fights used Chinese/traditional salutes - non-TKD judges, too bad there weren't more non-TKD competitors.

During one of the challenges, they were breaking boards with rattan staffs - real tough wood it must have been.  One of these "artists" was also caught cheating  >:(.  There are no real art challenges that I've seen, and there really doesn't seem to be much "art" to the competitors - what should I expect when one of these "Black Belts" has even been training for an entire 5 years - my, the knowledge and experience they must possess.

Sorry for letting my sarcasm through, but I'm glad it's on at 11:00pm so nobody accidently comes across this and thinks it represents the Martial Arts fairly. 

My support is for Matt, as I've seen him on the Discovery show and have a bit more respect for his style and intensity.  Interesting he's top on the leader board.  Unfortunately, I have a great mystery book to read so, alas I will not be pursuing the show further - yawn.

Mahalo,
Matt (different from the one on the show  ;) )
Sifu Matthew Porter
3rd Degree Black Belt
Under Professor Rodney Alo
Athens, TX

Sensei Mike

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 12:12:14 PM »
I DVR the show so, I don't have to waste whole half hour on it.

I wonder who actually chose these contestants. Probably a bunch of executives who are totally clueless about martial arts. I surprised Ernie Reyes Jr. agreeed to do the show. They must be paying him a great deal of money. No disrespect toward him intended.

Maybe next week will be better. ??? I don't really enjoy the show, however, just out of curiosity I would like to see what kind of ridicules challenges the can come up with.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 12:52:35 PM »
The challenges are ok, but the egos and point fighting without groin or head shots is tough to watch.....the only one without a huge ego seems to be Ernie ...
GM John E Bono DC

Sensei Mike

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 11:34:37 PM »
I wonder what he is thinking as he judges the contestants.

MTV must have found the cheapest insurance the could to cover everyone on the show.

Ernie's sidekicks and the two sparring judges don't seem to have much of a ego either.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 12:51:05 AM »
I have to admit the name Final Fu is cool....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 01:50:05 AM »
Cool show.  It's good to keep martial arts on mainstream TV as our training is poorly understood in the US.
I'm not able to see the sparring videos smoothly.   Are you ?

Hopefully, the self-defense are such as Kaju can gain some attention if we are able to present it in in a
practical, non-psycho way that is also entertaining.  Until then, the jump-spinning kicks and splits will dominate ,
showing the world that martial arts are little more than gymnastics without "tights".

Gints
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 11:24:34 AM »
Are you watching it online?  I TIVOED it...
GM John E Bono DC