Author Topic: SPARRING COMPETITORS  (Read 17429 times)

Offline RChap

• White Belt
Re: SPARRING COMPETITORS
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 09:07:57 PM »
I used to train lightly, mainly watch as I was too young and new to the sport,  with the Brinkerhoff brothers back when they were in Fremont, CA. I was one of  Gaylords Dragons and have to say that they were the fastest and cleanest of their time ( back int he late 80's).   That was back when the PKA was something- before the UFC got rolling.  Satch was hot then as well. Steve Webb was pretty tough also.
Ron Chapman
No school/rank at the present time

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 09:44:58 PM »
RChap,

Please help by including your real name and affiliation in the signature line per cafe request.
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 12:54:01 AM »
RChap, which Gaylord school were you from?
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline RChap

• White Belt
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 04:22:53 PM »
I was with his school in Fremont, CA. The school was "Gaylords Dragons" kajukenbo/kenpo karate. The studio was on Fremont Blvd. My brother also trained with me there. Steve Webb was the chief instructor and Professor Gaylord would teach our classes once or twice a month when he was around. Webb was a neighbor of ours and he was always sure to pay "extra attention" to us- making sure we were getting harder than the rest of the class! I believe that was around the mid 1980's area. Brian Yoshii would come in and train with the Brinkerhoff brothers, and man they would amaze us! I was a young teenager then and those were great times. I still have my uniform hanging in my closet with the Gaylord's Dragons logo silk screened on it. I was only active for 3 or 4 years until the school closed down. I then got into weight lifting/bodybuilding as a way to stay in shape. I ran into an old black belt instrutor, Bill Simonson, a few years ago and we talked about having him train me again- but I ended up having twins and my personal time went out the door....  Bill said he still practices alone, but was not involved with any schools. I now have 3 kids and I plan on starting them up as soon as they can hold an attention span of more that 5 minutes. I will be looking for a school in the Fremont area.
I miss the old days and I am now looking forward to getting my kids involved and hopefully I will join class again with them!
Thanks for asking!!

Ron Chapman
Ron Chapman

Offline Rich Cruz

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Because of it’s emptiness, the cup is usefull
    • Kajukenbo in Washington, DC
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 10:42:38 AM »
I'm biased since I train with the man, and grew up with the other.

Professor Sims
Bobby Wilson

I am also Bias,

I had the honor of helping Professor Sims in preparing for alot of those early 90s fights, (JBL, Bay Area's Best, etc) as his student by offering my rock head through many, many beatings!  Ah, how I miss those days... It definately made me (in all essence of the word) Kaju tough! (with a few chipped teath of course 8)

Rich Cruz
Sifu 5th Degree under GM Woody Sims
Cruz's Kajukenbo "Street" Self Defense LLC.
Olympus Gym/Sport Judo Academy
Alexandria, VA.

When written in Chinese, the word crisis is composed of two characters. One represents danger, and the other represents opportunity

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 11:33:44 AM »
GGM Gaylord is still around teaches black belt class every other month.  I see him often.  Yoshii lives around but isn't training with us at this point though I try to draw him back in.  The Brinkerhoff brothers moved out of state. I'm not sure if Pat is training or not but Chris is still training hard at an MMA school back east helping with their boxing training.  He sends me notes to keep me up to date. The school became Golden Dragon, then Yoshii's and for many years now I have absorbed it, it's great to hear from people from the day.  Yoshii, Chris, Pat and I used to have some heated full contact kickboxing sessions.  Wish I had that stuff on video.... 
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »
Gm Carlos Bunda looked pretty impressive back in the day.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline Spidey

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Be a Good Example!
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 04:42:06 AM »
Those were the days. I still have alot of those guys fighting on tape (VHS), need to put them of DVD. One classic match up I have was between Woody and Shon Adams (Woody was fighting for Rent) LOL. Back in those days Prof Yoshii was my Chief instructor ( Golden Dragons) so it's no wonder how I got so good at blocking my groin. I still keep in touch with Pat Brinkerhoff and Rick DeoCampo and I'm still training and teaching in Fremont.
Shawn Hayes
6th degree Kajukenbo Gaylord Method, GM Pete Morales
Balintawak Escrima Cuentada System, GM Taboada

Offline Rick Kingi

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 03:02:01 PM »
   Carlos Bunda was the first Kajukenbo fighter out there winning things like the Ed Parker international back in 1960's he was the first one to win grand champion at the tournament, he and then Steve Sanders had some great matches along with chuck Norris that was a long time ago and no one was beating him of course he was my intructor so I'm a little bias also, I Think my son Robert Kingi is due credit for being one of the best young guns out there, I love you son....DAD   LOL all the name mention are great fighter and I have seen most of them.

Much Love and Respect
GM Rick Kingi

Offline kajufisherman

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 11:40:33 AM »

Robert,
It sounds like you are ready to keep the legacy going!
anyone have a contact point for Chris. I will be in Arizona next month and would like to drop in
Sibak Michael Guidry
Under Professor Dennis Guila
Guila Hawaiin Kajukenbo-Kickboxing Academy
Antioch, Ca.
CARPE DIEM

Offline kajufisherman

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »
Can Someone here assist me with a way to get in touch with Chris Brinkerhoff. I will be in Arizona next month. Thanks in advance.
Sibak Michael Guidry
Under Professor Dennis Guila
Guila Hawaiin Kajukenbo-Kickboxing Academy
Antioch, Ca.
CARPE DIEM

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »
I'm in contact with Chris send me your email and I will forward it to him....or a note of you like
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Spidey

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Be a Good Example!
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
I'm not sure if Chris is still in Arizona. I believe his brother Pat is still there.
Shawn Hayes

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 03:06:35 PM »
No Chris moved for work they both write to me
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Spidey

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Be a Good Example!
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »
Yeah Just spoke with Pat. Always keep me laughin (when he's not putting his feet in my face) LOL
Shawn Hayes