Author Topic: WBAN (Women Boxing Archive Network)  (Read 6171 times)

Offline V. F. Mateo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • That little extra in ordinary = extraordinary
WBAN (Women Boxing Archive Network)
« on: July 29, 2006, 12:28:06 PM »
Boxing Fans & Kajukenbo Family

Michelle Herron of Seattle, WA will be fighting Noriko Kariya, of North Vancouver, BC, Canada. The fight is on the 5th of August, 2006 Saturday at Madison Square Garden, in New York. Promoter: Dibella Entertainment. Our manager is Anthony Capone-New York, NY...the great, great grandson of Al Capone, and Greg Bloom-Miami, FL.

Michelle (Black Herron) came to me about a year ago to train at my dojo. We hooked up after her fight in Toronto that same year and we have been together since. This will be our first fight together and I'll be in her corner. GM Emil Bautista seen her fighting some of my students and associates during his visit last year in Seattle.  ;)

Jim Gilmore an associate of mine and former professional boxer is assisting me with boxing and techniques. He trains in MMA, Boxing, Jujitsu and is an excellent trainer. He has professional boxers and MMA fighters. Jim trained in Won Hop Kuen Do in the 70's, we meet in the early 90's when I moved to Seattle from Hawaii in 1993.

The fight will be on HBO on the 5th of August and we are on the early fight card. We may or maynot be featured but the main events will be shown. Give us all your support and ma na.... >:(

Aloha
V. Frank Mateo   
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 12:41:04 PM by V. F. Mateo »
V. Frank Mateo-8th degree; GM Gerry Scott
CHA 3 Kenpo Karate; retired Co-Founder Frank Suan
5th Degree KAA; GGM Charles Gaylord-Professor Brian Yoshii & Professor Brian Baxter
Ali'i Warriors Fight Club-Muay Thai (Promoter, Match Maker, Trainer, and Coach)

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
Re: WBAN (Women Boxing Archive Network)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 05:40:28 PM »
As always, Michelle has our support from the NorCalHQKSDI, we wish her well and with great strength and determanation on her bout.
GM Bautista & associates
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline V. F. Mateo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 11:19:35 PM »
Thank you GM Bautista, it's always an honor. I will inform Michelle that you & Northern California HDQTS Kajukenbo gives her the strength and courage.

After returning from my trip in Hawaii, the island of O'ahu, we have been training more for the fight. I pray that we do well. I did visit with GM Edmund Louis and some of his black belts. They had a very good black belt meeting that my son and I experience. OOH that wonderful cool summer breeze at night and all the talk story. Professor Lee Manibog, and Professor Jay Cabuyatan and family where there along with GM's wife. Professor Scott unfortunately was on Maui for a tournament.

Thank you once again GM Emil Bautista for your spirit & ma na, and this time we will visit you during your seminar in Federal Way with Sifu Bryan Davis and company. 

With great respect
V. Frank Mateo
5th Degree KAA; GGM Charles Gaylord-Professor Brian Yoshii & Professor Brian Baxter

Offline V. F. Mateo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 05:42:42 PM »
Braddah Gerry (Professor Scott)

Mahalo Nui Loa (many thanks)...for those kind words. Missed you at GM's black belt meeting, it was good fun, talk story....& stuff. Michelle needs to be on top of her game, remain calm and stay within the fight plan, than she will be successful....kick o'okole. We thank you and GM for those up lifting words.   :)

Visiting family was awesome, lots of food and old stories. My son enjoyed the beaches and swam for 2 hours each day, what a fish, he didn't realize all his relatives. Didn't want to take him to Sandy beach for body surfing, a little to dangerous for him, so we watched a little and headed to Makapuu point, Kailua and Lanikai beach. Waimea Bay was the best, Hanauma Bay, Waikiki wall & Haleiwa town.....matsumoto shave ice, miss all that stuff, the laid back people...all good stuff.  8)

Mei Ke'aloha
Braddah Frank
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 05:45:35 PM by V. F. Mateo »

Offline DProsser

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Psalm 144:1
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 03:12:14 PM »
That is so cool.   Kick butt 8)

Hope to see it on video, if not on HBO.
Deb Prosser
GM Bobby Rimando, Instr.
SGM Alex Rimando
Rimando Martial Arts, Las Vegas, Nv

Offline V. F. Mateo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 02:01:47 AM »
Thanks everyone for the vibes and good spirit. Michelle didn't win the fight but I feel she won the battle. She stun Noriko twice but didn't finish her off. We worked on a combination we call # 1, it's a six punch combo that stopped and stunned her twice (2). Sijo would love it because Michelle drew blood w/that combination and her opponent nose bleed a little. The other thing, I guess you may call it a home town favorite. Our cut man, retired police officer with NYPD said at best it was a draw. His been training & wrapping for 30+ yr and should know what his talking about. But the judges didn't see it that way. One of the main event almost started a riot with the decision of Vernon Forrest & Ike Courtey......once again home town favorite.

New York, middle town lives up to it's reputation...one busy f.......place. John Bono should know! It's a great experience to be at Madison Square Garden...lots of places to see and eat and very tall buildings. We enjoyed our stay, it would've been better with a win. Back from Hawaii, Seattle a little busy but New York is crazy. Good to be back to civilization. We will fight again and work on things for her next bout. Once again, thanks people.

V. Frank Mateo
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 09:44:32 AM by V. F. Mateo »

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 03:37:58 AM »
Sigung Mateo,

The only reason I watched HBO's boxing last night was the hope they'd show early bouts or have time leftover to see Michele boxing...nothing doing >:(.  Glad she had a good fight.  I'd read that her opponent had a fan base so I'm sure that contributed to the outcome.  Glad to hear Michele put her training to the test.  She went up against an opponent who had a good record even if small in the amount of fights.  I'm sure Michele's going to be somebody she'll remember.  Hope to see the video one day.  I love the East Coast as I was born and raised in NJ and NY was just the right distance for excitement.

Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline V. F. Mateo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 10:49:19 AM »
Thanks Shirley. A lot of the ring side people also taught Michelle won the fight. Her punches were connecting much better than the other fighter and she stunned her twice. The other fighter had only one good hit, the rest was missing & hitting the shoulders and chest of Michelle. Yes, she will remember our fighter because Michelle is the toughest fighter she faced so far. Most of these fighters have amatuer bouts and some are golden glove champions even if they only have 5 professional fights they may have fought 100x's. I'm looking for more female fighters, if any one would like to fight strickly boxing, please call on me...I have a service to render.

Aloha
V

I've talked with the match maker and hopefully we will get a DVD of our fight.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:12:25 AM by V. F. Mateo »

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 12:51:17 AM »
Michele is still a champion in my books, hope to hear about a bout in the local area. Keep up the good work and hard training and it will pay off. Best wishes to her.
GM Bautista
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)