Author Topic: Online Etiquette  (Read 8447 times)

Karazenpo

Re:Online Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2003, 08:43:05 AM »
Hot topic! ;)  The late Professor Cerio used the title 'Professor' in and out of the school. He was a firm believer in titles. I never used titles. One time when we were doing a police defensive tactics seminar together he pulled me aside and said something like nothing gets him more aggravated then hearing my students come up and call me "Joe". My response was that I've been a police officer for many years and have been called a lot of things, so I'm perfectly happy when someone just calls me "Joe" ;D He gave me a playful whack and we went back to the seminar. In all seriousness though, he bestowed the title of shihan on me and out of respect to him I spoke to my students and made sure titles were used at all his events but I am more informal at my schools. Don't get me wrong, the respect and discipline is enforced but I have been a little lax on the titles. After reading everyone's posts, I may go with the titles though. I do use the title 'shihan' on all my posts on all forums out of respect to the memory of the man that gave it to me. Grandmaster S. George Pesare informs  us individually how he wishes to be addressed. It will either be 'Chief' or 'Grandmaster'. I address him as 'Chief' in and out of the school. As far as the term 'hoale' goes, agreeing with Sigung Bishop, I too have heard it used as a term of endearment by some Hawaiians. I also see much controversy in the posts on the term 'redneck'. I've heard the term used a lot in reference to, let's say a working man's type bar down south but also where I come from, the New England area. I would have to say that when I hear of that type of bar, racism and intolerance to other peoples lifestyles comes into mind. So I do understand why some would most definitely take offense to that word. There is something that I often remind people of and that's the power of words. I recently told a close  friend of mine that words directed at someone in anger cannot always be neutralized with an apology, for words said in haste can sometimes be like a bullet fired from a gun. Once it leaves the barrel it cannot be called back. ;)  Respectfully submitted, Shihan Joe

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2003, 04:46:57 PM »
>Interesting topic.  My wife is Native American and sees the Redskins, Braves, Cheifs, etc, as offensive.  Her brother does not.  How would people feel about the Philadelphia Whities as a sports team?

Redskins is one thing, but there are pro sports teams with cultural figures that are analogous to braves and chiefs.   Obviously, the issue is not just with the name,
but I'll stear clear of that aspect of the debate.

Yankees
Cowboys
Patriots
Senators (OLD!)
Rangers
Padres
Pirates
Titans
Buccaneers
Vikings
Packers ?(what's a packer)

"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2003, 07:28:20 PM »
Lot of tradition there Gint's.  I would wear proudly the name Yankee, or Patriot.  And I'm sure the people of Texas like the names Texans and Cowboys.  
The Green Bay Packers are named after the meat packers of Green Bay Wis.  I don't know if they still are, but originally they were the only NFL team owned by the town they came from.
The Pittsburg Steelers were named for the steel workers of Penn.
How about the name "Brown's"?  Could sound offensive to hispanics, but it's named after the team owner "Paul Brown".
Most team mascot's have a long proud tradition that has nothing to do with being offensive.  I'm sure the Vikings were named for the Nordic peoples who settled in the north eastern part of this country.
Sometimes, we seem to be way too sensitive to the use of words.  
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline kajudaddy

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2003, 10:12:47 PM »
i would like to apoligize to everyone i offended,i was trying to be funny.my skin is thicker than most especially being that i work in a prison,were everything is broke down to race and the inmates can some of the worst racist around.you develop very thick skin very quikly there.

marissa what does being from sacramento(which im not,just live here right now)have to do with anything.two wrongs dont make it right!
Paul Ferber
4th degree
Eugene Ray Kajukenbo
Great Falls,MT

Offline kajudaddy

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2003, 12:00:13 PM »
it was nothing personal against houston,i just picked 2 cities and went with it.besides being a raider fan i dont want to talk football lol.
Paul Ferber
4th degree
Eugene Ray Kajukenbo
Great Falls,MT

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Re: Online Etiquette
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 06:02:35 PM »
Sometimes things get a little heated here, so it may be time to re-visit this thread.
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado