Author Topic: One kidney? Accept or reject?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Trent Sera

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
    • Sera's Kajukenbo
One kidney? Accept or reject?
« on: August 16, 2006, 06:00:13 PM »
I have an 8 year old boy who wants to join my school and I found out that he has just one kidney?  So I asked his father to get a doctor's clearance and the doctor said "No".  The father is okay with letting his son join the school regardless.  Would you folks accept or reject this student?  If you accept, would you make accomodations for this student?  Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Sigung Trent Sera - 6th Degree
Sera's Kajukenbo
Maui, Hawaii
Under GM Clarence Emperado Luna

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
Re: One kidney? Accept or reject?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 07:01:52 PM »
According to my textbook "Principles of Athletic Training", the asbsence of one kidney indicates that he/she should not participate in Contact/Collision Activities.  However, the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 says that the individual is the only person who can make the final decision.  In this case, it would be the parents.  If you do allow this individual to participate, it is my recommendation that you have him/her get a physical and clearance from the MD as well as a Liability Waiver from the parents which indicates that there is only one kidney.  Hope this helps.
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 07:37:18 AM »
I totally agree with Brandi, the abscense of a kidney should not preclude the child from what would be an otherwise "normal" life; however, you do need to protect yourself. I wouldn't have them sign the normal waiver but one specifically outlining they they acknowledge the MD's recommendation and will pursue this training despite the inherent dangers.

I've been training for 8 years with a gentleman in my class who also has only one kidney, he's older than anyone else in the school and yet he continues to train and is a black belt today. Were there modifications to his training, yes. He was concientious of his own limitations, crunches only...never did full situps; sparring students ware apprised of no...NO kidney shots and otherwise just be careful.
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 05:33:31 PM »
-I totally agree.  I have a young student who we've known for a while to have extremely loose joints and very poor muscle strenght.  Really easy dislocations, his doctors have agreed to allow him to continue training with me, I had him doing wall push ups and he worked him self up to regular ones.  (He's 9 yrs old and started with me at 5).  He couldn't do a situp or crunch.  I'd have him lay next to me when we did crunches, put his hands on his stomach and I'd slowly lift his shoulders and head with my hand (I have big hands and he was a little guy) so he could feel the muscles we were working on.  He got himself up to leg lifts which he does pretty well.

Last fall we were practicing a sacrifice kick, which the kids love cause it looks like Hollywood.  He wanted to do it, we were on a 2" inch mat on top of puzzle mats, so lots of padding.  Considering the kick, I felt pretty comfortable about his joints as none are involved and was on my knees so he wouldn't have to jump up.  First time went great, he was loving it, did it the second time he landed on his rear with a grin and his elbow came down on the mat without impact.  (No body weight was on it.)  There was a look of pain and the saddest cry I've ever heard.  He broke his arm vertically.  Fortunately one of my Dad's is a paramedic and just happened to be there.  When I talked to his Dad after they pinned his arm, I mentioned that there was no impact for that sort of break to happen. 

So now we come to find out the little guy has weak bones.  His folks want him to have a normal life and know that impact sports are out of the questions, many parts of karate are too, but he'll keep training with me, I am careful and have made him become comfortable about telling someone what his limits are.  It's good for their self esteem, lets them feel like a regular kid and as long as the parents understand there is always a chance of injury (there is in any activity; running, riding a bike, you name it.  Who wants to live in a rubber room.)  The child will be grateful, as well as the parents and you can feel good about what you're doing.  Best of luck
  Terry
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 08:36:25 PM »
I totally agree with Brandi, the abscense of a kidney should not preclude the child from what would be an otherwise "normal" life; however, you do need to protect yourself. I wouldn't have them sign the normal waiver but one specifically outlining they they acknowledge the MD's recommendation and will pursue this training despite the inherent dangers.

I've been training for 8 years with a gentleman in my class who also has only one kidney, he's older than anyone else in the school and yet he continues to train and is a black belt today. Were there modifications to his training, yes. He was concientious of his own limitations, crunches only...never did full situps; sparring students ware apprised of no...NO kidney shots and otherwise just be careful.

Sorry, I just want to make a slight correction on my statement.  According to my textbooks, the absense of a kidney should preclude him/her from participating in Contact/Collision sports.  If this were a football player, soccer player, etc.  they would NOT be allowed to participate.  In my job, I would not be able to allow this person to participate in athletics except for noncontact events.  I have only had two athletes disqualified for medical reason in 10 years. 

This is a different situation and basically get something from the MD and a release of liability waiver for the school.
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang