Author Topic: Provoked into a fight?  (Read 11507 times)

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
Provoked into a fight?
« on: August 31, 2006, 10:41:14 AM »
So boys and girls, let me ask you what can make you enter into a fight. 
   I would like to hear from people that have Actually been in a fight, not just hear say or theory. 
So how much does someone have to do to be hurt by you??? 
Yes I rhymed....why does that make you want to fight?
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
Re: Provoked into a fight?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 10:51:12 AM »
Well, as I have gotten older it has certainly changed. In my twenties and at the height of my "drinking career" I would fight because of someone using the wrong word in my direction or calling me by the wrong name.
  Later it would be because of spilling beer on me. into my thirties, cutting me off while I was on my motorcycle, brought on a physical altercation. but thanks to road rage laws, I have become wiser. Having a Wife and Kids now, the only thing that would drive me to a fight is touching one of them, Or attempting to harm them. As for myself, I still live by the words of Grand Master Bill Chun Sr. " If he touch you, you bang him!"
 I am a man of peace for the most part now, but ugly demons still are at work from time to time  :o Ya know wud i mean vern 8)   Fuhgetabowdit ;)
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 11:03:41 AM »
I think for the most of us, we get smarter and realize many times what makes us irritated isn't really important enough to punch someone in the face..........well Most times...
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline cirillo

• Moderators
  • Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 11:20:46 AM »
It isn't possible to provoke me to fight anymore.  Might make me smile or even laugh by trying though... 8)  I've had that happen many times.  A real threat (i.e. weapon or physical action) toward myelf, friends or family would result in a response.  Though I am not sure I would consider it a fight at that point, just a response. 8)
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 11:22:45 AM »
A fight is a fight, if you throw a punch that becomes a fight, brought on by a response...know what I mean?
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 11:31:42 AM »
A rose by any other name is still a rose 8)
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 11:59:33 AM »
and you can still be pricked by it, no matter how great it smells....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 01:37:27 PM »
Thanks to getting older (though only 31 now) and having worked as a "lounge host" - bouncer, it takes much more for me to actually enter a physical altercation now.  At one point it was whenever I felt dissrespected or threatened, now I must feel as though I or someone else is in danger.  If I am in danger or see someone else in danger, then believe I'm in there, but not really otherwise.  My last few fights were responses to physical threat and I had no choice but to defend myself and others.  Currently, I have someone telling people they are going to kick my ***, don't care what I know, etc. - just because.  Face to face he has shown respect to me.  I have no need to fight him.  If he makes a move then it's on, but not otherwise.

Well, those are my thoughts.

Sifu Trent
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline cirillo

• Moderators
  • Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 03:05:15 PM »
It is hard to call shooting someone a fight or are we going to call it a gun fight?  Well... I call it a response.  I don't really expect that there will be a fight between two people.  We like to say... we finish fights, we don't fight. 8)  By the way... I hope you see that it is extremely unlikely that the response would be a punch. 8)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:12:46 PM by cirillo »
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 03:51:05 PM »
The question I stated was about actually being in a fight.  Yes, a gun fight can be a fight.
 I have been a shooter since I was young and have had combat hand gun training.  A gun fight, is nothing I would want and if force to, hopefully it would just be for a second or two. 
   Most fights will have a fist involved.  Why would you not expect a fight between two people? 
We all like to say we finish them, but let's be realistic, it depends on who you are fighting. 
  My point in asking the original question was real responses by people that have actually been in the situation....
.........Much like what Sifu Rob answered....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Sifu_Tony

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 04:10:10 PM »
I dont fight, I defend myself. It would take alot for me to get into it with someone. MY first move is if they put there hands at me or attempt to attack me. Other than that, Im cool.
Navalta Kajukenbo
Perris, Ca

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 04:27:54 PM »
Let's be clear here, If two people touch with aggression on one or both peoples part, it is referred to in this thread as a Fight. Call it defense or response or whatever, for conversational purpouses here it is a fight.  Ya dig 8)
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672

Offline kajudaddy

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 05:29:18 PM »
As a Correctional Officer I get alot of grief from the inmates on a daily bases. I have learned to ignore stupidity and name calling(yes even when they talk about my momma).Someone would have to attack to get a response from me.
Paul Ferber
4th degree
Eugene Ray Kajukenbo
Great Falls,MT

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 09:36:28 PM »
I used to fight on and off from elementary throughout high school if somebody called me out…and somebody always did with each change of school.  I fought on principle—didn’t like to back down and at the same time really didn’t want to hurt anyone.  So I won some and lost a lot, but never had to fight the same person again.

I was about 32 y-o and crossing the street in NY at a stoplight with two girlfriends when a young man looked at me, said nice boots and ran his hands down my boot leg.  As he came up, I pushed him in what would be close to a double palm heel strike in his chest and asked him what the hell was the matter with him.  He kept walking and so did we.

When my oldest son was about 6 months I was in a store holding him and a foolish man rushed to get ahead of me at the counter and brushed me and my son to the side.  I took my right hand and pushed him in his shoulder, throwing him off balance and asking him what was his problem calling him a darn fool.

About 11 years into our marriage, my ex and I had an argument and he bent back my fore-finger.  I picked up a chair and threw it at him, ran out the house and yelled for someone to call 911.  I then took a full force impact course (goal to teach you to knock a person out) and invited my ex to my graduation.  He never lifted a hand to me again.  We were married another 9 years after that incident.

When my youngest was about 14 and 6 ft something, he started to horse around with sparring with me.  After awhile I told him to stop but he didn’t listen, just kept lightly sparring around.  Told him to stop again and turned around to walk away and he tapped me on my head.  I took a step back and gave him a strong elbow strike to the stomach, he bent over in pain for a minute or so and in the future, he stopped messing with me whenever I said to stop.

As a victim advocate, I work with some angry clients, some who are teens and some who are adults and spouses.  I’ve never had to defend myself physically even though some have lost control both physically (throwing stuff around or at other people) and verbally abusive.  .  In those situations, I’ve always been able to de-escalate the situation verbally. 

When I was in my 20s, I used to believe in non-violence and almost lost my life in a personal situation.  I still believe in non-violence when used as a social protest and only in certain situations.  But,

If you threaten me physically or one of my sons or my mother, and make a move to indicate you are about to hit any one of us, it is on.  And if you beat me or are stronger, I will come after you with a weapon of my choice that will overcome your skills.  Other than that, I’m really a nice person. ;)

Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 01:16:32 AM »
My point was basically what professor Harper and Sifu Rob stated....sometimes it just happens...

I feel very under control these days...there was a hot point when I was younger....now I feel very comfortable with my skill level, both offense and defense.

My self..I really need to be pushed...touch the family, gal, students etc...the heat starts...  I felt this topic became a list of the unconventional....I try to answer with total truth..not what I think others would like to hear....if I'm wrong I'm wrong....I'm human..  we have all made mistakes
        I decked a guy once that was the twin of another guy.....what can you do....he looked the same...you say your sorry and find the brother....I'm not going to kick myself about it...I've done plenty of good..

I read the posts in this thread and I see who I would want behind me when the chips fall....

When I was young catholic boy all my confessions centered on fights......now I live in peace and train hard to fight for fun...it really is...come on...that's why were here for the most part.. 
A test of yourself, your will...it makes you feel alive....maybe I'm off...but I think there are those on the same path and others that run on the side of the path and tell people they were on it.....makes for good story I guess as they say....
GM John E Bono DC