Author Topic: "Junior" Black Belt  (Read 27182 times)

Offline John Erickson

• White Belt
Re: "Junior" Black Belt
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2003, 06:37:28 PM »
To all who have replied, thank you .

I started this thread shortly after my 10 year old nephew received a black belt in taekwon-do.  I sincerely wanted other opinions on the matter, and I certainly got them.

John

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »
Sensei John Erickson, Sandan.  Professor Joe Shuras, Blackstone Kempo Karate/ Shihan Kathy Shuras, Milford Studio of Self Defense.

Karazenpo

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2003, 02:22:51 PM »
Okay, Sensei John, my round! ;D

I have heard that Mitose didn't teach the students back then all he knew, because he felt they were not smart enough (to put it lightly) to grasp true Kempo.  Most of these guys couldn't read or write and just really enjoyed beating each other up.  (like most 20 year old guys do!)  I still don't buy into that Mitose only understood basic (surface) martial arts.  Hanshi Juchnik is way to good.

I say: Mitose smarter??  How many of his students back then died in prison on murder, extortion and kidnapping charges? ;)  Where was Mitose educated? The mythical Shaka In Temple of Kosho Ryu? Let's see a record of it. ;)

You said:I thought it was Emperado himself who stated that it was developed in 1949?

I say: I really don't know. We would have to ask Sigung Bishop that question. However, it has been discussed on this forum of Kajukenbo's journey began by the Emperado brothers in 1947 and the name Kajukenbo wasn't created until 1957 when the system took shape and it was Joe Emperado and not Joe Holck that coined the acronym.

You stated:I'm sure he is happy that the videos are making a profit.  I'm sure all who sell merchandise are happy when it turns a profit.  I'm sure if the videos were costing him more to make them than he was earning, he wouldn't do it.  That would be a bad business choice, for anyone.

I say: John, I will never mention names because I will not betray what is said in conversations unless I asked the other party but you and I were together when a third party stated that they strongly felt he was all about money. I've heard this from many others, too but this was a friend of yours.

You stated: OK.  I agree with your definition of traditional.  You win!    But I still have my reservations about Villari Kempo being traditional.  As well as some of the other arts.  

Of course I believe that Bruce Juchnik is the heir to the Kosho system.  I don't buy the blood thing for Thomas.  He was given 10 years to learn Kosho but decided not to.  How much longer should Hanshi Juchnik have waited?

I say: As far as Villari goes you may have had differences with him of which I support you on but we must, as you have told me about Mitose, look beyond the man, and consider his contribution. I acknowledge Mitose as the founder or originator, the catalyst that ignited the whole 'Hawaiian Kempo' thing but I don't support the myths that are being jammed down our throats as fact by people trying to make a buck off it and/or further inflate their ego. I make no comments on what Mr. Villari teaches after around 2nd dan but I do know what he teaches up to that point is, like I said before, the original Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu with some additions and modifications that Professor Cerio first taught. It is this art that I acknowledge as 'traditional' and it is the 'core' of the Villari system. I guess Thomas Barro Mitose, a extremely talented Kajukenbo black belt under Joe Halbuna couldn't learn Kosho ryu in ten years but Hanshi could learn everyting in a few 'prison visits'. Maybe I should have visited Mike Tyson while he was in prison and I too, could be 'Heavyweight Champion of the World".  ;D, you've got to admit, that was a good one!,lol.  

Always your friend Sensei, I think these discussions are healthy :) plus look at all the entertainment value we have supplied to all those reading our 'soap opera'........'Like Sands through the Hour Glass, so are the 'Days of our Lives". ;D      Respectfully, Shihan Joe

UPDATE: 07-08-03 /
Shaka In temple. Kosho monks and martial arts: truth or fiction?  Documents provided and further research to confirm this on the internet into historical records shows that in October of 1588 the warrior monks of Shaka In clashed with the forces of Konishi Yukinaga. The battlefield is perserved to this day.

*I stand corrected on calling it the 'mythical' temple, however, I have not found any written records showing Mitose had studied there but I will continue my research.
Shihan Joe :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 10:52:24 AM by Shihan Joe Shuras »

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2003, 02:27:48 PM »
I prefer "As the Dojo Turns"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »
Dan Tyrrell

Kempo-Sensei

Re:"Junior" Black Belt
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2003, 09:17:19 AM »
I had to bring this back up again.  I just read in our local New Hampshire paper (I will grab it tonight and post the name of the instructor) that two kids, one 17 and one 13 or 14, were just promoted to 3rd dan and 2nd dan, respectively.

What was the art, you asked?  Kajukenbo.  

I forgot to bring the paper with me to work (that is were I do all my postings from!!) but I do know the paper said the guy was an 8th dan, grandmaster, in Kajukenbo.

If this 17 year old kid is a 3rd dan today, I'm guessing he'll be a 6th or 7th dan before he's 30.

Anyways, I know all schools are different.  I just thought people would like to know because it is a Kajukenbo school.

Peace.

-John

Karazenpo

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2003, 10:06:31 AM »
Hey, Sensei John, very interesting. I would be curious though to see if this guy is really 'Kajukenbo" and is an 8th dan under Sijo Emperado because if he is, it would be my understanding he would be violating policy. My guess is he could be an instructor who traces his roots to Kajukenbo, just like we can, uses the name, but is actually a subsystem, such as 'Shaolin Kempo", otherwise why would he go against their policies and procedures? Give us his name when you can and I'm sure Sigung Bishop will be able to trace him if he's legit.

Kempo-Sensei

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2003, 10:25:28 AM »
The 8th Dan's name is Kevin Bliss.  He is actually from Leominster, MASS.  The two students (17 & 14) are from NH.

His website is http://www.kblisskarate.com and I do believe Shihan Joe is right about he being a shaolin kempo guy who is now a kajukenbo guy.

Offline DACS

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • THERE'S ALWAYS MORE TO LEARN!
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2003, 07:05:03 AM »
Our school still abides by the "must be 18" rule, as did our instructor. A lot of is due to mental maturity and understanding of how the training applies to our everyday lives. We have never had the problem of anyone asking to be promoted. When the time comes then they are told that they are ready. Although the distignation they set for themselves is a black belt, because we are like a tight knit family in the dojo, the journey becomes more wothwhile...they gain more than a belt, they gain a family...OHANA!
Ramos Method
Wahiawa Kajukenbo