Author Topic: WHY DO YOU TRAIN IN TUM PAI??  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Missie Davisson

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Layne and I
WHY DO YOU TRAIN IN TUM PAI??
« on: October 17, 2006, 02:17:36 PM »
Just wanting to hear everyone's stories on how and when they started training, why you chose Tum Pai, and what your path has been like so far.  What have you learned?  What do you hope to learn?

Missie Davisson
Missie Davisson
Kaukenbo Tum Pai 1st Degree

Offline kfarny

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
Re: WHY DO YOU TRAIN IN TUM PAI??
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 01:19:23 AM »
Did not know I chose Tum Pai until I was in.
The road has been rocky. It also apparently took a turn a while back....
I know YOU know what I mean.
This is an internal journey for me, so I won't be sharing that. I have been thinking about it a lot the last couple of week though. I'm not really sure what I hope to find at the end. I don't think there is an end, even if I stopped doing it.
I had hoped to learn a little more about myself when I started.....My expectations have been wildly exceeded.
Missie, you have been a big part of that journey for me. Thank you for that.
Kirk Farnsworth   3rd Degree,  East/West Method Tum Pai
East West Martial Arts, Master Doug Bertrand
Vancouver, Wa.

Offline Missie Davisson

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • Layne and I
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »
Hello Kirk!  Thank you for replying to my post. 

I understand what you mean by the art choosing you verses you choosing the art.  I feel the exact same way.  I remember when I was nine years old and I found out my best friend was doing "karate" classes.  I BEGGED my Mom to let me go watch.  From the moment my eyes got view of a class I was in love.  I wasn't sure why but I knew something about it had a  magnetic pull on me.  From the very first class I participated in to the present day I have a deep feeling that it was all meant to be. 

I have had a rocky road too Kirk.  I know you know what I mean.  Every martial artist has obstacles to overcome and challenges to conquer.  I have had a few instructors in my life before I found where I truly belonged and had to overcome both physical and emotional barriers to be where I am today.  And I can tell you hands down it has only made me stronger. 

I believe to be a true martial artist it has to be an internal journey.  Physical journeys can only last so long.  If there is one thing I have learned since I started on my journey 16 years ago it is that Tum Pai is VERY internal.  It is the ability to overcome ones self.  Move your centerline, sink your air, push yourself past your comfort zone, never give up, take on challenges no one else would dream of, and each day in your life will only bring you closer to true self discovery.  That's what makes a martial art a true art and turns a martial athlete into a martial artist.

This is all my humble opinion but I felt it important to share.  I am glad I have been part of your journey so far Kirk.  I miss you guys at East West so much sometimes but the path I have taken is vital to my growth as an artist.  Please do not give up on yourself or your art Kirk.  Maybe you need to look at your options or revaluate your goals but never just throw away your dreams.  Martial arts still has a lot to offer you and you also have a lot to offer it.  Find your strengths to give you passion to overcome your weaknesses.  I love you and am here anytime you need me.

Missie Davisson
Missie Davisson
Kaukenbo Tum Pai 1st Degree

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 01:21:56 PM »
Training in the Martail Arts was a life long ambition for me that I didn't get aroung to following up on untill my early 30,s.  I will be 38 next month.  Basically one day I decided to look in the Yellow Pages for a school.  It was Sunday so I called the Kajukenbo Tum Pai school not expecting an answer.  Just so happens they were having a seminar and Sifu Steve Larson answered the phone and very graciously answered a bunch of my questions and the rest is history.  Just so happens it is the school where Tum Pai was originated and eventually handed down to Sifu Larson.  Kajukenbo Tum Pai had everything I was looking for.  For starters I just wanted to do something fun that I could do year around to stay in shape and fuel my competitive juices.  What I found was in my opinion one of the 2 or 3 most effective street self defenses in the world.  During my training I was married and now have a 3 1/2 year old boy and a girl on the in April.  After receiving my Brown/Black belt I moved away to Bend, Or.  for a HVAC apprecticeship.  I still train on my own and miss my old school dearly.  I can't really afford to train at a school here in Bend.  Even a basic Karate school is 150.00 a month.  If I am gonna pay that kind of money I want train in Kajukenbo.  There isn't any here.  In 2 more years I will be done with my apprecticeship and will be able to move just about anywhere I want.  Whether there is a Kajukenbo School there especially Tum Pai will be HUGE in  making my decision.  This town is wealthy and in need of a good kajukenbo school.  Parents here are willing to pay big bucks for this kind of activity for them and it is a great option in the winter because of the cold and snow. I may be pursuaded to stay here if being part of a Kajukenbo school were in the picture.
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.