Author Topic: Student/Instructor pledge and/or code of ethics  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Trent Sera

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
    • Sera's Kajukenbo
Student/Instructor pledge and/or code of ethics
« on: November 10, 2006, 09:43:08 PM »
Does anyone know or have a student/instructor pledge that they can say at the beginning or end of class for the Original Method of Kajukenbo?  Also, a code of ethics for students/instructors like they have in the Tum Pai system of Kajukenbo?  Your replies will be greatly appreciated.
Sigung Trent Sera - 6th Degree
Sera's Kajukenbo
Maui, Hawaii
Under GM Clarence Emperado Luna

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
Re: Student/Instructor pledge and/or code of ethics
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 08:50:28 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a code of ethics other that what was written by GM Loren which by the way is posted on the forum and GM Loren has given permission for it's reprint as long as he is given proper credit.

There's no pledge that I know of.
Here is the Wu Teh
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Offline wyattearp

• White Belt
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 10:21:09 PM »
here is a creed I learned from kenpo, is this what your talking about? If not, then sorry for posting something wrong here.

I come to you with only "Karate" - empty hands.
I have no weapons; but should I be forced to
defend myself, my principles or my honor;
should it be a matter of life or death,
of right or wrong; then here are my weapons -
"Karate" - my empty hands.

Henderson
student under Professor Bunda
Glendora, Ca.

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:12:51 PM »
here is a creed I learned from kenpo, is this what your talking about? If not, then sorry for posting something wrong here.

I come to you with only "Karate" - empty hands.
I have no weapons; but should I be forced to
defend myself, my principles or my honor;
should it be a matter of life or death,
of right or wrong; then here are my weapons -
"Karate" - my empty hands.

That would  be the first creed for yellow belt in Ed Parker Kenp Karate.  Each belt level in EPAK has a different saying that needs to be learned for history, tradition and promotion. 

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe you can find the prayer and creed within other threads on this cafe.  I will try to locate them.

Also, 'wyattearp' please include your real name and affiliation in the signature line as required by the cafe.  Thank you for complying.
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Stan Kristovich

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Stan Kristovich
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 12:47:19 AM »
I've never heard of any 'creed' for kajukenbo but the WKO original method DVDs do list an extensive set of rules/etiquette.  It's not something you would repeat in class.  This is not quite what you're looking for, but Professor Stevenson does have a "student creed" that we recite at the beginning and end of class.  And students testing for Purple Belt have to have it memorized.  I don't know if it has any lineage or if it's something he established:

To build true confidence
through spirit in the heart, knowledge in the mind, and strength in the body.

To seek perfection of character, be faithful, honest and respect others.

Never fight to achive selfish ends, but be prepared, mentally and physically,
to defend yourself and the rights of others.

This is a pretty simple credo but it captures a lot of the spirit of kajukenbo, in my opinion. 

He also has an Instructor's Creed, that he only recently required that new student-instructors memorize.  (I missed that requirement):

We are all teachers in life. To be good at what I do, I must be knowledgeable, and have high expectations for those I teach.

To be innovative in my teaching methods, be respectful, and praise hard work and accomplishments.

To be a good role model for others by being unselfish, dependable, dedicated and loyal.

I offer these up for your consideration . . .

Regards,
Stan K
Aloha,
Stan Kristovich
(a Black Belt instructor [and currently on extended sabattical] in North Las Vegas, Nevada
Formerly of Stevenson Kenpo-Karate, Mililani, HI