Author Topic: Martial Arts in St. Louis  (Read 3154 times)

Offline EPAK

• White Belt
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Martial Arts in St. Louis
« on: June 18, 2003, 02:31:04 AM »
I will soon be moving to St. Louis to attend Washington University.  I have brief experience in American kenpo and would prefer to continue in this system.  I've looked and I haven't found any schools that teach the Parker/Planas lineage.  I looked into Kajukenbo/shaolin kempo and it looks like a very good alternative.
If any body knows of any kenpo or kajukenbo school in St. Louis I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks again,
EPAK

sleddog

Re:Martial Arts in St. Louis
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 07:50:35 AM »
There is a Kajukenbo group with several branch schools under the Sid Ascuncion branch, through George Iversen and Alan Carter in the Maplewood suburb of St Louis.

If you go to www.kajukenbo.org there is a listing of schools. It is their web site so I am sure they are listed.

Offline Sifu Julian

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • Civilize the Mind, Make Savage the Body!
    • Chinese Kajukenbo Self-Defense
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 03:33:13 AM »
FYI---Sifu Charlie Walton, webmaster of Kajukenbo.org and a member of this forum, and Sifu Ken Sills are both instructors in the St. Louis area. You can write to them directly at: cwalton@kajukenbo.org  & ksills@kajukenbo.org

Aloha!

Sifu J.
Professor Julian Sims
8th Red Belt/Black Border-Kajukenbo Self-Defense;
4th Red & White Belt-Bushido Kempo;
3rd Black Sash-SDS Jeet Kune Do;
3rd Degree Instructor-Chinese Wushu Assn.;
K.S.D.I. #837
K.O.A.-Sifu Society
O.K.O.-Lifetime #139

Offline Spaniard

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • mormon.org
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 10:41:42 PM »
There is a really good former Tracey's Kenpo school run by Jeff O'Donnel in Florissant (North St. Louis.)  His school name is "The Martial Arts Center" and he also sells equipment.
(Basically, all you will probably find in St. Louis is Tracey's Kenpo or former Tracey's schools.)

I would also 2nd the suggestion on Sifu Walton's school and Professor Alan Carter is my sifu's instructor (Jim Fassler teaching in the Wood River, Il.  area.)

(If you wanted to try something different, I think there is a Capoeira class at Washington University.)

Good hunting.

My 2 bits-
Spaniard
Erik P., 2nd degree Black Belt Kajukenbo under Sifu Jim Fassler Chrisitan Kajukenbo Ministry, White Belt American Kenpo, 1st Black Belt Tae Kwon Do OhDoKan
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

sifumike

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 10:15:21 PM »
The best teacher in the St. Louis area for KaJuKenBo is Master Teacher Doug Washburn 7th degree, you can get ahold of him thru www.twinriverskajukenbo.com. and their web site!!!

"You can try the rest, but why not train with the best."