Author Topic: Are you a good teacher?  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
Are you a good teacher?
« on: August 18, 2003, 09:50:23 AM »
Jim Fraser makes a living teaching people how to teach. I completed a class he conducted at my agency (Oakland PD) a few years ago and walked away from it a much better teacher. I learned a lot, and I had been teaching for years.

Fraser uses "R.I.D.E.M." to explain what should occur during a good class or lesson. A good lesson plan keeps R.I.D.E.M. in mind. To get the most out of training, we need to focus on how we learn and how we teach.

The following is a breakdown of R.I.D.E.M.:

Relevant: Was the information you provided relavant to what the student was supposed to learn.

Involvement: Was the student involved in the learning by doing something?

Discovery: Did the student have an "AH-HA" moment? Did the light go on?

Experience: Did you tap into the student's life experiences or knowledge?

Modeling: Did you demonstrate what you wanted done? Did you show the student how to do it?

The next time you teach a class, ask yourself was R.I.D.E.M. acheived?

The next time you train in a class, ask yourself did the teacher acheive R.I.D.E.M.?

If you teach the same thing over and over, there will be very few "AH-HA" moments and the students will get bored. If you teach over their heads, you will not draw on their experiences and they won't get it. They must be involved by practising, and you or a designee needs to demonstrate what you want done.

I hope this helps teachers teach and learners learn.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
Re:Are you a good teacher?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 09:15:25 PM »
     I personally, don't know how good a teacher I am. Only my students can say for sure.  I can say that I have had a lot of students who became good teachers themselves.      
     In my younger days, my teacher instructed us on Kajukenbo.  And then I went on to teach those things to my students.  A few years later, i began to think about things and realized there had to be more in the way of instruction.  I needed to teach my students "the why" of things, so that they could go on to become better teachers.  I'm sure that later on my instructor became a better teacher along the same lines. It was no longer enough to simply say, "it goes this way because I say so."
     Some where down the road, I hope to become an even better teacher than I am today.  I feel that as long as you are better at something {teaching} today than you were yesterday and better tomorrow than you were today, then you can't ask for any more than that.  Its like everything else in life, we learn by our mistakes. Everything is trial and error.  If we were all perfect at something when we first start it and there's no room for improvement, why go on at all?  
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)