Author Topic: Kajukenbo schools in Washington  (Read 19772 times)

Offline Bulldog

• White Belt
  • Only by not trying are you sure to fail
Kajukenbo schools in Washington
« on: January 29, 2007, 12:25:24 AM »
 Prof Doug Bailey 7th degree
 Northern Style Kajukenbo Tum Pai
 check out the following webs ite:

http://www.vancouverkungfu.com/
Jim Newton
Black belt
Professor Doug Bailey
Vancouver WA

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
Re: Kajukenbo schools in Washington
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »
This is only for my own clarity - is Doug Bailey a PROFESSOR or SIGUNG, as I see he is a 7th degree.  I thought Professor was at 8th degree.
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 03:50:41 AM »
In Gaylord Method you are Sigung 6th up till given Professor but you have to be at least 8th to get it. It's a separate title..
I thought KSDI was at 8th....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »
Maybe it is a Tum Pai thing???
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 12:50:25 PM »
So is that a Tum Pai thing?  How do the titles and ranks work within the Tum Pai system?  Thanks for the info.
Sifu Trent Junker
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »
So is that a Tum Pai thing?  How do the titles and ranks work within the Tum Pai system?  Thanks for the info.

It is a organizational thing.  In the KSDI, Sijo Emperado has designated the titles "Sigung" to be for the ranks of 6th degree (jr. grade), and 7th degree (sr. grade).  And the title "professor" is designated for the rank of 8th degree. 
Some of the kung fu branches adhere more to a stricter Chinese meaning, and use the title "Sigung" to only designate your "teachers, teacher". 
And then some other Kajukenbo organizations have some slightly differant titles, or ranks levels that they are used for.     
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Vala Au

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 06:33:48 PM »
There's a few extended family Kenpo schools that allow their 7th degrees to use title of Professor down here.  Not that uncommon.

In Chuan fa, we follow the KSDI way, Sigungs - 6/7, Professor-8, GM-9.  Pretty sure WHKD same.  Both Branch head GM Al's (Dacascos and Dela Cruz) like to go by just Sifu Al.  The title Sifu in Chinese schools means the Chief Inst, not 3rd or 4th degree.  Rarely will even very senior Sifu's give themself the honorific title of Sigung, Si tai Gung (Grandmaster) unless they are the head of that system.  That's something we've done to match our titles to our numbered degree system.

Since I don't know of any Tum Pai here in Hawaii, atleast not what it is today under GM Loren, I'm not sure how their rank/title structure goes.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 12:24:55 AM by Sigung Jason »

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 03:41:50 PM »
GGM Gaylord holds the Professor title as a separate title, so he could give it with the 8th or never, it's up to him...he puts a lot of weight on that title which of course outs it on his students to act and be a certain way....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
    • Tactical Kung Fu and MMA
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 01:27:51 PM »
There's a few extended family Kenpo schools that allow their 7th degrees to use title of Professor down here.  Not that uncommon.

In Chuan fa, we follow the KSDI way, Sigungs - 6/7, Professor-8, GM-9.  Pretty sure WHKD same.  Both Branch head GM Al's (Dacascos and Dela Cruz) like to go by just Sifu Al.  The title Sifu in Chinese schools means the Chief Inst, not 3rd or 4th degree.  Rarely will even very senior Sifu's give themself the honorific title of Sigung, Si tai Gung (Grandmaster) unless they are the head of that system.  That's something we've done to match our titles to our numbered degree system.

Since I don't know of any Tum Pai here in Hawaii, atleast not what it is today under GM Loren, I'm not sure how their rank/title structure goes.

WHKD doesn't couple Sigung's with rank.  A Sigung is your Sifu's Sifu.  Professor is 8th, GM is 9th, and Sifu is a chief instructor.  Typically you have be to a 3rd degree to be a chief instructor, but there are exceptions (I am one of them). 
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
5th Degree, Wun Hop Kuen Do Kung Fu
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
Durham NC and Philadelphia PA
www.tkfmma.com

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 01:54:20 PM »
I'm going to take a stab at answering this question from my own understanding and perspective.  If I find out I'm incorrect in any way, I'll correct at a later date.

Professor Bob Heuer and Professor Doug Bailey head the "Kajukenbo Tum-Pai" system, and were awarded the title of "Professor" to show that distinction.

We use "Sifu" as a title for teacher, and it is reserved for the head teacher in each school.

We use "Sigung" interpreted as "teachers' teacher".  Students from schools opened by my Sifus' students refer to my "Sifu" as "Sigung".

Actually, GM Jon Loren heads the "Tum Pai" branch.       
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:44:36 PM »
Thanks for all the detail Sifu Steve, I like getting to know the different groups......
GM John E Bono DC

Vala Au

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 08:36:54 PM »

www.tumpaiassociation.com Cool site.  On the 4th page of the gallery, 4th picture, where GM Loren is demonstrating the Yam Foon Jeet Sow Fut (Night wind Intercepting Palm), that picture was taken in mid 90's over here in Hawaii.  It was GM Sid Asuncion's funeral.  GM Loren performed that form in his Honor.  I'm the handsome guy standing behind and left of him next to Snookie Sanchez.  GM Al Dela Cruz standing on the right in his white suit.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:15:25 PM by Sigung Jason »

Offline Bulldog

• White Belt
  • Only by not trying are you sure to fail
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 02:46:39 PM »
This is only for my own clarity - is Doug Bailey a PROFESSOR or SIGUNG, as I see he is a 7th degree.  I thought Professor was at 8th degree.

All I know is that all the black belts here affirm that he is called 'Professor' Bailey and that  it is  also 'Professor' Heuer ...who I understand is also 7th degree.

We really don't focus  on the titles too much... as is appropriate in any family...

Hope this helps !!

Jim
Jim Newton
Black belt
Professor Doug Bailey
Vancouver WA

Offline Kaju-DonIII

• White Belt
  • Thump-o-nomics-101
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 12:55:39 AM »
Hello to all. My name is Don, i had been studying the art of Kajukembo under 5th Degree BlackBelt Sifu Trent Junker for two years, im a purple belt and im looking to study and learn more. Im looking to get back into Kaj. My "class" has stoped. So if anyone in the vancouver district has a school or "class" please feel free to call me and let me know, 360 904 8197...
Im alwasy looking to expand my mind and eager to learn all i can from everyone. Thanks
Kaju-kid-101

Offline krieger

• White Belt
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 10:41:45 PM »
The sight hasn't been update for atleast a year and the pictures are from the old school.  They moved to a new building that used to be a tkd school...
Andrew Weaver
Northern Kajukenpo Tum Pai
Gold Belt