Author Topic: In the news . . .  (Read 7438 times)

Sigung_Pat

In the news . . .
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:41:35 PM »
For those of you who attended the 2006 KSDI event, you may remember one of my students -- Maren Namdar -- the "older" lady with the ever-present smile at the seminar and tournament.  (She's 65 years old, folks, and yes, does Kajukenbo.) 

She competed at Ted Tabura's tournament in December and took third place in forms in the 18 and older division.  I submitted an article to the local newspaper along with a picture.  The story interested the publisher enough to have one of their reporters contact and interview Maren and they sent a photographer to the dojo tonight to take some action shots.  I was working with her on her new tai chi form that she hopes to compete with in March.  We also did some of the Master Aleju Reyes techniques developed for the Suisun Police Department (giving credit to him, of course), along with Palama Set #1. 

The article is supposed to come out Sunday February 4th.  For those of you who don't live local enough to purchase the paper, the article should be available online, too, at www.naparegister.com.  Unfortunately, the online article may not have the pictures taken tonight.  But I will try to scan those and put them online or see if I can get them directly from the newspaper. 

Maren was beaming.  (smile) 

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
Re: In the news . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 09:32:40 PM »
Sigung Pat,
That's pretty cool.  I love to see more of us gals promoting martial arts and sharing our experiences with it.  Hopefully it will draw even more ladies into the arts.  Congrats to Maren and to you and BadSifu for being great instructors to a great student.
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 01:50:12 PM »
Hi Sigung Pat,

Any senior staying active is an inspiration for me.  I'd like to read the article, so please post some keywords to find the article at naparegister.com or send me the scans !

Very cool.

Gints
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Sigung_Pat

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 10:56:54 PM »
Just got an email from the newsperson writing the story.  They want to interview me on Wednesday for the article.  That person hopes to publish the article either Sunday or Monday now.  When it does, I'll publish the link here.

Sigung_Pat

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 03:47:21 PM »
Ok folks.  Here it is.  The link to Maren Namdar's article in our local paper.  This online link has 2 out of the 3 pictures published in the paper.  Article was on front and back page of the sports section.  Nicely done.  The online article has the verbage, but it doesn't exhibit how nicely it was displayed in the paper.

http://www.napavalleyregister.com/articles/2007/02/11/sports/local/doc45ceb02c5901f065516196.txt

Enjoy!   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 05:28:43 PM by Sigung Pat Tyrrell »

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 04:03:51 PM »
Thanks Sigung Pat,

Great article, and I noticed you in the picture.  It's great to have exposure for people keeping active at age 60 and later. 
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Sigung_Pat

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 05:29:50 PM »
Yes, I was in the online picture and the one that did not get online, but was in the paper -- back page. 

jcordova

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 07:18:51 PM »
Great article Sigung.  i saw you both in vegas at sigung alex stick seminar.  great job. it gives me more attitude and motivation to keep doing KAJU.  again grat article and congrats.   ;D

Offline Pacificshore

• Yellow Belt
  • Just train!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 09:23:31 PM »
Better late than never....GREAT Story :)
Gene R.
Kara-Ho Kempo

Sigung_Pat

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 10:52:12 PM »
Not late really, Gene.  People in town are still talking about the article.  In fact, Napa Valley College contacted Maren this past weekend because of the article.  They have asked (and she has accepted) to be a guest speaker on aging, martial arts/taichi, and contentment at the College's Senior Living Center.   That will happen in late April.  Sifu Tim (badsifu's brother) will accompany her and provide additional information.   Perhaps jointly they will do a demonstration of some kind.  They did a kick-XXX kajukenbo demonstration at the Rotary Club lunch last May.   And because of the article, she received additional attention at last Wednesday's Rotary lunch, including providing a quick tai chi form upon their request.  Yeah, she's loving it.  She is a great public relations person who promotes the school all the time to everybody she talks to.  We will be having a tai chi retreat at her lovely home the end of March.   We are anticipating that people will be flying in from out of state for that one (out-of-state people have already said they want to come -- just let them know when), as well as attendance by some local dignitaries.  She knows how to throw a party.   ;D ;D  But then, having been married to a Persian ambassador gives one many opportunities to be a gracious hostess. 

It's a good feeling to see Maren progress and enjoy this as much as she does. 

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 12:37:12 AM »
Hi Sigung Pat,

Excellent story and nicely written.  Of course, the skill of a teacher is often shown in the performance of her students.  Congratulations!

with respect,
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Sigung_Pat

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 11:30:59 AM »
Thanks, Shirley!    :) :) :)

Indeed the article was well written.  I cannot compliment the newspaper reporter enough.  Even just two days ago, more than 4 weeks after the article appeared, I attended a Napa County Resource Conservation District Board meeting (I'm their legal counsel at this time -- one of my job assignments) and one of the board directors initiated a conversation about the article and how good it was, etc.   

Perhaps not so coincidentally, my youngest son Tim has just been hired at a local health club to teach taichi a minimum of 3 times per week.  Competition with our program?  Not really.  We regard it as an outreach opportunity, providing information  about the benefits of martial arts training.